Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm on my second Model S, been driving Tesla for nearly 6 years (two S's). That will come to an end when my R4P gets here. Fingers crossed it will be in the next month or so but who knows, I've been "on the list" for months...

I've had enough of Tesla BS. Repairs, endless hype, broken promises, imaginary products that may never come, missed deadlines, annoying fanbois, software updates that slow down DC charging, etc. Did I mention many repairs? LOL, looking forward to going back to Toyota for dependability.

I just bought a Grizzl-E charger to plug into a NEMA 14-50 to charge the R4P. I have a Tesla wall connector now but it will be removed and sold.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
There are many local electric companies which offer a partial credit or cash rebate for installing a 240 system. I chose, after input from this forum, the JuiceBox 40 plug in, priced at $599. My utility company already sent me a $250 refund check. And since it was installed prior to the end of last year, I will be getting a $180 back from the Federal government (though I am not sure this program is still good in 2021)

In my case my net cost to install the JB40 (which I did myself in 30 minutes at deliberately slow, methodical speed), will be less than literally $170. Perhaps you can do likewise. I am consistently charging from nothing to full range in exactly 2:30. In my first six weeks of using it, twice when I went out in the morning, came back for lunch and went out again shortly thereafter, the 2 hour 30 minutes charging time allowed me to fully charge before proceeding out the second time.
To the best of my knowledge, in SoCal, they will only give you a rebate if it is installed by a licensed electrician.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm on my second Model S, been driving Tesla for nearly 6 years (two S's). That will come to an end when my R4P gets here. Fingers crossed it will be in the next month or so but who knows, I've been "on the list" for months...

I've had enough of Tesla BS. Repairs, endless hype, broken promises, imaginary products that may never come, missed deadlines, annoying fanbois, software updates that slow down DC charging, etc. Did I mention many repairs? LOL, looking forward to going back to Toyota for dependability.

I just bought a Grizzl-E charger to plug into a NEMA 14-50 to charge the R4P. I have a Tesla wall connector now but it will be removed and sold.
For the longest time I was looking at Tesla. Seriously considered the X, then the 3, and the Y. Finally came to the conclusion that Tesla's design of using no gas is awesome and the charging system may be reliable, the rest of the car sounds like a piece of crap and potential time and money pit. I'm hoping Toyota comes out a with an all electric SUV in the near future.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
For the longest time I was looking at Tesla. Seriously considered the X, then the 3, and the Y. Finally came to the conclusion that Tesla's design of using no gas is awesome and the charging system may be reliable, the rest of the car sounds like a piece of crap and potential time and money pit. I'm hoping Toyota comes out a with an all electric SUV in the near future.
Remember, Tesla does not consider themselves an Automobile Manufacturer, they are a Technology Company who puts a Computer into a Chassis. They don't concern themselves with the chassis form or fit. You are buying an expensive computer on wheels

·
Registered
24 Posts

Just a personal note here: I've had my Model 3 for 15 months now but only driven 8500 miles, so I haven't encountered any of that "Tesla BS". Maybe I was lucky, but I've had no problems at all in that time except for temporarily losing Bluetooth connectivity when I upgraded my phone. I had two NEMA 14-50 outlets installed when we put solar panels on the roof and have had no charging problems. The software updates always send a notice that they're available and that the car will be temporarily unavailable during installation, usually around half an hour; plus, I like the idea of over-the-air upgrades.

FWIW, I considered a Model S years ago but couldn't justify the cost for the amount of driving I do, and it's too damn wide to park in downtown Palo Alto now that the public parking spaces have been redrawn to accommodate more cars.

On the other hand, there's plenty of "Toyota BS", too. You can read about fuel tank and other problems right here, and I've found it's nearly impossible to make Toyota of North America make good on anything at all unless it's mandated by the government. My take, after a 2000 Avalon that I drove into the ground, an ES330 that was essentially trouble-free, an RX350 that was an incredible lemon, and my little 2011 RAV4 V6, which is a strong enough and reliable most of the time, is that I haven't met a Toyota dealer or service department that was honest or, in some cases where the mechanics could competently interpret brake system, oxygen sensor, or other diagnostics that one might think were common. On the other hand, they would sometimes make unnecessary repairs without fixing the original problem.

As always, however, YMMV.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Bashing toyota on a Toyota forum and pretending Tesla is problem free, must be a Friday night ending the craziest week the US has ever had, touche.

Toyota is the most reliable automobile because Toyita stands behind it's products, for most people, some are incapable of being pleased, Que sera sera :)

Tesla doesn't release customer satisfaction anything, and like 5G, you HAVE to live in a major metropolitan area to have access to repairs, just pointing out the obvious.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Very amusing, Leroy, and I agree completely about the craziest week.

As for the rest, do I have to say "YMMV" again? When I had oxygen sensor and catalytic converter problems with my Avalon, which I loved BTW, and with oxygen sensor and brake problems on the RAV4, I did have trouble getting them diagnosed at dealerships in Palo Alto, Redwood City and Hayward, California. The jury is still out on the Tesla because I haven't put many miles on it yet, but no problems so far other than the Bluetooth connectivity mentioned earler... and I just ordered an iPhone 12. ;-)

·
Registered
17 Posts

You can use the Tesla wall connector with an adapter to charge the Rav4 Prime without issue.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Received my Lectron Tesla to J1772 Adapter today. Absolutely no issues connecting the adapter to the the tesla charger and charging the Toyota Rav4P. Thanks guys for all the advise, just wish this part was a little cheaper. I had purchased a spare Tesla charger prior to my Toyota purchase on Craig's List for $200 + the new Lectron for $160, so I roughly invested $350, but keep in mind I already had 240 installed.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Good point about bashing the competition, all automobile manufacturers will have their flaws and dealing with the manufacturer might not be a nice experience no matter who. I guess my frustration with Tesla was that they seem to be trying to push volume out instead of quality right now. During the last few days in Dec, just in Orange County, CA alone, they were delivering over 400 vehicles per day. People were complaining about the usual cosmetic problems and they were just being told to accept the vehicle, make note of it and take it up with CS at a later time. Can you just imagine how long some of those folks will need to wait to have their items repaired as long as they don't fall under the "meets specifications". It would just be a little different if they would say, "sure will take a look at it for you" and then come back and tell you that the problem does not affect the use or safety of the car and is a cosmetic issue that they don't take care of, because it is minor and concentrate on Technology more than cosmetics.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I guess my frustration with Tesla was that they seem to be trying to push volume out instead of quality right now. During the last few days in Dec, just in Orange County, CA alone, they were delivering over 400 vehicles per day.
They were trying to deliver the promised 500k cars by EOY. They missed it but it was pretty close.

The way things are going in about decade majority of us will be driving in Tesla's or actually Tesla's will be driving us...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
One of The best car I ever owned, was my 2017 Tesla Model S and yes it drove me around. The Rav4P is at 2nd place, they are totally different. I like my Rav4P better, but I enjoyed my Tesla MS more. Hard to understand unless you have had the opportunity to have driven both for a while. If I had to buy another one right now it would be a Rav4P, but I am on the waiting list for a Rivian

·
Registered
180 Posts
Forums grossly exaggerate vehicles (every forum re every brand). Yes forums are very valuable to inform, but we are readers who must understand that about 1/10 of 1% for every person who has a vehicle without a braking problem posts, “I do not have any braking problems,“ yet everyone who has a breaking problem who is part of a forum posts, “I have a breaking problem.”

So when two or three post that they have a breaking issue with they model B, version C, then folks start to assume that there is such a problem with that vehicle, forgetting that there are often hundreds, thousands, tens of thousands, or even ten and tens of thousands who have model B version C that has no such breaking issues.

Distorted “perceptions” but not reality is consequently happening on every forum.

Of course I will continue to share the good and the bad with my vehicles, but I will always put what I read into perspective and not get to the “sky is falling” point of view based on a few or even five or ten people posting their issues. That is why we have warranties, to deal with the 1% or even more rarely 3% who have a specific issue.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Base your purchase decision by 60% test drive experience, 30% bang for the buck, 9.99% reviews and 0.01% is what you read on forums.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts