Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Timing belt snapped on me when i was driving so i replaced it but i feel the car slower on normal take off from a dead stop. The car will barely move in 1st gear but after reaching 2.5k rpm the car will pull way harder. I also have a tight power steering belt or the timing belt that i overtightened im in unable to loosen it up because i dont have time right now. I have the belt whine so thats why i know. Question is will that cause the car to run like that?

·
Registered
731 Posts
The belt is not on right. You are a tooth or more off. Recheck the timing marks. Then once you are certain they are right, rotate the crankshaft 2 turns and see that the marks still line up.

Even veteran techs like myself have this happen once in a great while.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will this cause the engine to stutter or run slightly rough? My engine runs very nice and quietly it actually runs better now than it ever did when it got rebuilt. But ok ill check it out tomorrow.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I think your timing is off. I found out with the 3S-FE, the best way to install the timing belt, is to retard the crankshaft to the end degree mark on the lower timing cover, while keeping the camshaft at 0 degrees, so that once you install the belt and tighten it, the crankshaft will rotate back to zero when tightened. Initially, I had both shafts zeroed out, installed the belt, then tightened it. Thinking all was well, I started the engine and it ran like it had a dead cylinder. After removing and reinstalling the belt the way I mentioned, it ran perfectly.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I've done two timing belts on a rav4, make sure you line up everything with the plastic cover marks. Plastic cover has to be on straight for a proper measurement.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I checked the marks on the top pulley and it was a bit off. After couple tries i got it to where it needed to be and now it pulls good on all the rpms now. I used a sitck with a mirror in the end to see tru the small hole on the pulley :)

·
Registered
160 Posts
I checked the marks on the top pulley and it was a bit off. After couple tries i got it to where it needed to be and now it pulls good on all the rpms now. I used a sitck with a mirror in the end to see tru the small hole on the pulley :)
Woohoo!! Good job! :thumbs_up:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts