Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I need a replacement air con compressor as the seals gave failed. New ones are very expensive so I am looking for second hand. The Rav 4.1 with air con in the UK is relatively unusual! I was wondering if anyone has any ideal what other cars may have the same part?
Please no comments like 'don't need air con in UK or open the widow!
Thanks

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
822 Posts
The compressor's part number is: 88320-42050 (COMPRESSOR ASSY, COOLER)

I cross-referenced it but sadly, Ravs were its only application.
You can use the part number though to source second-hand or even non-OEM units.

·
Registered
731 Posts
If you buy a used compressor, it is like buying a used light bulb. You don't know how much life is left in it. Also, the old compressor needs to have the oil drained, and the right amount added to the system. If your used compressor decides to turn itself into shrapnel, you will need to replace the condenser, expansion valve and flush the system. That is a major expense.

I would buy OEM DENSO since that is what the RAV was born with. If finances are tight, save up until you have the money. This is not a job to be done halfway.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi
Thanks for the replies. As the car is only worth £1000 tops it's not worth spending close on £300 plus any associated cost on a new/reconditioned part. It would be worth a risk with a second hand unit though. I can't believe that the compressor was unique to the Rav 4, manufacturers like Denso just don't work like that! It's probably just a bracket or such like that's different that can be swooped over from the old one.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 4 of 4 Posts