Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Replacement automatic gear indicator bulb

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Mumford67 
#1 ·
The gear indicator bulb in the 1996 2WD RAV4 has burnt out and I would like to replace it. I have managed to get the old bulb out but am unsure about options for replacement bulbs.

Some posts I have seen online have indicated that the bulb must be purchased through a Toyota parts dealer (it's a 12v 1.7w peanut bulb); other online parts dealers have suggested using a Sylvania 2721 bulb (which is a micro bulb and much too small) or a Sylvania 194 bulb (which appears to be the right size but is rated at 3.8w).

Is there an aftermarket replacement for this lamp or should I go through a local or online Toyota parts dealer? My experience with the local dealer is a 1-2 week wait for just about anything for the '96 RAV, and impatient fool that I am, if I can cut that time significantly, all the better.

Any advice is appreciated.

Best regards,
Stuart

#2 ·
I would replace it with an LED lamp if at all possible. There are suitable replacements at Walmart now. The LED should last for the life of the vehicle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.