Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has experience with the PIAA SUPER PLASMA GT-X lightbulbs.

I tried to find out how long these beauties last, but there is no info on them anywhere.

It looks that the low beam light pattern is somewhat insufficient.

Also, anyone knows how to get the HID reflectors from Japan?

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
You can try JapanParts.com for the headlights. It is not listed in their online catalog but I have had success emailing them to get the part I needed.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I did try on the Sylvania Cool Blue and PIAA SUPER PLASMA GT-X but both of them just wasting money, poor light output. Then I upgrade to PIAA Plasma Spark Blue and I think this is the best bulb close to HID but it is pricey and it costs $80. I finally upgrade to HID after I disable the DRL. btw, my friend using the Sylvania Silver Star and it looks good and the price is very fair. hope this help.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
The PIAA SUPER PLASMA GT-X has too much tint on them, very poor light output. Like all other performance light bulb, they will last about 1/3 as long long as OEM bulbs if you are lucky.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanx.Are you talking about the PIAA PLASMA SPARK BLUE or the PIAA PLASMA ULTRA SPARK?

For the HID you'll need a new reflector otherwise the light pattern will not be controlled and you will put out too much glare and get a ticket from a cop.

I am actually trying to find the HID reflectors for the new rav4 on market in Japan. But with no luck, no emails back yet.

I just do not have the time to fuzz with retro-fitting the lens assembly with a pulled BMW unit.

GE also has some extreme white bulbs, will that match the silverstar?
The silverstar only goes up to 4000K.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
My last car use 9006 for low beam and I had PIAA extreme white plus on it. Its 4300K and it last me 3 years before I sold my car, but I dont really do much night driving. The extreme whites are only slightly tinted and thet actually were a little brighter than OEM. BTW I had silver star on the fogs and they were not as white as the PIAA. I have never use the GE white bulbs before but I have heard good things about them and I heard Phillips is pretty good too. Remember, the higher the K, the less the light output.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I thought daylight is rated at 5300K. I do not see the need to go to 8K or so. I think the scale should be between 4K-6K and no tinting. Actually color takes away from the effectivness of the light.

There is a reason for foglights being yellow. In rain white light means nothing.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
I think the PIAA PLASMA SPARK BLUE is 5000K. A friend of mine had them, they are almost purple. Totally useless cus of the poor light output.

·
Registered
340 Posts
The G Man said:
I think the PIAA PLASMA SPARK BLUE is 5000K. A friend of mine had them, they are almost purple. Totally useless cus of the poor light output.
Nope, that's 7500K. Not too bad on my trix before I upgrade to HID.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The issue with me is not just the look. The 7500K light for sure look good, but the visibility does not match the 5000K lights.

I like to drive at night and I just love when the road lights up. Plus, I'd like to get something what is less stressful on the electrical system.

I have heard, that they are experimenting with LEDs but it is still somewhere in the labs.

By the way, anyone knows of a better fog light for the RAV4 06, coz I am not too happy with the ones I've got from the factory?

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
SUVbuff73 said:
The issue with me is not just the look. The 7500K light for sure look good, but the visibility does not match the 5000K lights.

I like to drive at night and I just love when the road lights up. Plus, I'd like to get something what is less stressful on the electrical system.

I have heard, that they are experimenting with LEDs but it is still somewhere in the labs.
Anytime you are using a halogen bulbs that has a higher Kelvin rating, you will lose light output. The only way a halogen bulb can get higher K is to tint the bulb which reduces light output. Some after market bulbs use a different filament which burns brighter, but just by a bit, but it has a much shorter life than the OEM bulbs. Some of them run at a higher wattage, make sure your wiring and sockets can handle that wattage before you buy those. Some will employ both techniques.
If you want higher light output at a lower wattage, the only option right now is HID, but LED lights are finally coming out of the lab. The 08 Lexus LS hybrid will have the world's first LED headlight installed from factory. Expect LED headlight for the aftermarket consumers in about a 2 to 3 years.

·
Registered
191 Posts
A higher or lower Kelvin rating has nothing to do with brightness as far as bulbs are concerned. "Wattage and Design" of the bulb along with the light housing have a lot more to do with brightness and overall light output. :shock:

RAVON 8)

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
RAVon said:
A higher or lower Kelvin rating has nothing to do with brightness as far as bulbs are concerned. "Wattage and Design" of the bulb along with the light housing have a lot more to do with brightness and overall light output. :shock:

RAVON 8)
So how does one achieve higher Kelvin with a halogen bulb? By wattage and design of the bulb? Manufacturers like to tell you that they have some special gas mix or filaments they put on these bulbs to make them burn whiter, but almost all of these special gas mix or filaments makes very little difference as far as whiteness is concern. The only way to make a halogen bulb whiter is to tint it, which will cut down on light output.

Below is a good link on after market white bulbs:

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/blue/bad/bad.html

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The JDM HID headlamps are available on JapanParts.com for $1741 (part # 199-022-002).

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanx panda..the funny thing is that I went there 2 days ago and there was nothing about HID light for the Rav4.

It seams steep, I mean the price. But since you have been dealing wiyj yjem in the past, could you tell me if the price is negociable and is the service good?

Thanx.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have bought two items from them in the past and have never had a problem. I just ordered a set of metallic finish interior door handles and they said delivery would take ~2 weeks. I'll post when they arrive.

They are an official vendor on a Subaru forum I used to be a member of. Here is a link to a vendor review thread: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=521031&highlight=japanparts

I don't think they will negotiate on price but I guess you can give it a shot. $1700 for some headlights is crazy though.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts