Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I think it's time to replace the compressor on my RAV4. I have been having cooling issues in my car for the past 2 years where the cooling works sometimes, but suddenly turns off. I have got away with this since I was in NY all this while, but after having moved to CA recently, I don't think we can do without the cooling.

When I took the car to Toyota in NY 2 years back, they told me that the compressor needs to be replaced (although they failed to explain why it would work sometimes and then suddenly shut down; they did check for leaks etc. and found none).

I have decided to replace the compressor with a new aftermarket one and I had the following questions:

1. I am currently looking to buy a Denso compressor off Amazon and it seems to come with good reviews: Denso 471-1618 A/C Compressor. Anyone have experience with this compressor?

2. Apart from the compressor would I need any other replacement parts?

Rest assured I have no intention of doing the replacement by myself: I am going to take it to a local mechanic I trust, but figured it might be much cheaper if I supply the parts (Toyota quoted $1400 for the replacement!).

Would appreciate any advice.

Thank you.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
I'm by no means an expert on ACs, but before I'd go out and buy a comp, I'd take it to someone who could diagnose the problem and be fairly certain of what the correct fix would be.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,730 Posts
I'm by no means an expert on ACs, but before I'd go out and buy a comp, I'd take it to someone who could diagnose the problem and be fairly certain of what the correct fix would be.
Ravenuer is right. You could replace that expensive compressor only to find that the problem is still there. It could be a bad pressure switch.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello All,

I ended up taking the car to Toyota here in San Diego and $250 and 2 separate diagnostics later (that is what they charged for the diagnostic alone), they have informed me that the problem is in the AC Compressor swash plate and I need to replace the compressor+clutch unit.

This is after they mis-diagnosed the problem the first time around (they initially though it is the AC relay, which they replaced as well, but that didn't fix the problem). In fact, after that repair my AC has stopped working altogether! It was at least working part time before I took it to Toyota.

They are charging $1900 + taxes for this repair, which seems completely crazy to me given the cost of a Denso compressor for my car only runs about $400.

I am going to take the long weekend to think about it, but I am thinking that it makes no sense to take it to Toyota.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
I think you should take it to a mechanic that specialize in A/C repair. According to Cars.com the labour estimate for your car is around $172-$219. A new Denso compressor with clutch and o-ring is $307 at Rockauto. The stealership is a money grabber place that makes your wallet lighter when you leave the place. Just shop around.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think you should take it to a mechanic that specialize in A/C repair. According to Cars.com the labour estimate for your car is around $172-$219. A new Denso compressor with clutch and o-ring is $307 at Rockauto. The stealership is a money grabber place that makes your wallet lighter when you leave the place. Just shop around.
Great advice!

Let's see if I can find a local mechanic who I can trust. This thing is burning a hole in my pocket.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Psychoanalyst

Lemme ask my buddy who does Mbenz Repairs in El Cajon who he would recommend... Also could ask my buddy who worked on my old dodge truck and chrysler van

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. I found this shop in Spring Valley down south who confirmed that it is indeed the compressor. Getting the compressor, condenser, expansion valve etc. all replaced for <$900 parts+labor.

Compare that to the Stealership who charged me $2000 for replacing only the compressor.....my days of visiting the stealership are over!!

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Thanks guys. I found this shop in Spring Valley down south who confirmed that it is indeed the compressor. Getting the compressor, condenser, expansion valve etc. all replaced for <$900 parts+labor.

Compare that to the Stealership who charged me $2000 for replacing only the compressor.....my days of visiting the stealership are over!!
That sounds ALOT better! Good luck with it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just picked up my car and the AC is blowing cold. Its odd to be sitting in my car and get continuous cooling for more than 30 mins. :)

Overall, glad I didn't goto the dealership. The local mechanic charged me $100-$200 more than I expected, but no complaints. The guy was nice.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts