Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Working on an 02 Rav4 with the 2.0L engine. Odometer reads 162k. Belonged to my neighbors, who bought it new. The motor has thrown a rod, puncturing the block. The oil was the consistency of pudding when I dropped the pan and the pick up was full of what looked like sediment. Service records for the vehicle showed it was routinely maintained. I'm looking at replacement engines now - any advice on what I should and should not consider?

Using Car-Part.com for my search. In my region I'm finding engines made in 2001 and 2003. Mileage distributions range between 69k-81k and 130k-165k.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
10,130 Posts
I'd make the choice depending on the budget and future plans for the car. A high mileage 100K+ one wouldn't scare me but I'd also pull the pan for some indication of maintenance and maybe even install a starter and do a compression test before installing it.
As for "Service records for the vehicle showed it was routinely maintained" with what you found those records only indicate who NOT to EVER allow to "maintain" the car EVER AGAIN.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is ultimately the underlying question / answer I was after, "is there concern with higher mileage motors from this gen?". It does seem like a fairly robust design, however my knowledge of Toyota products is very limited. Great suggestions too, thank you for those.

·
Super Moderator
10,130 Posts
It does seem like a fairly robust design, however my knowledge of Toyota products is very limited.
I'm sure many are well over 200K and still going strong but :egad: not running on pudding!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts