Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
Welcome! That used to be a simple process in the 'old days' but may be more complicated now. Hopefully someone with experience with the 4.1 generation RAV will be able to answer.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Unless you have first hand experience with the other engine, a used engine is often a disappointment. An expensive one.

Rebuilding an engine that just needs rings, etc., is not that hard as long as there's a good machine shop nearby that can do the valve job.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not worth rebuilding an engine on a car this old. Can get a low mileage for just over £200. Rings gaskets plus any machine shop work will come to well over this.
The car is only worth £700 so may even scrap it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Seem like I was too quick to assume the engine had low compression. Just done a test and it's fine, high compression over all the cylinders.

The starting problem I had was after the battery had been disconnected so I'm wondering if it's something to so with the standard map if the ECU.

I managed to start the car by squirting some oil into the cylinders to give it greater compression. Once it started it ran rough and wouldn't tic over, but settled down after a while. Took it for a good test run and now it seems back to normal, with easy starting when cold.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 6 of 6 Posts