Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love the new RAV, but that long whipping antenna is bugging the **** out of me!!!! Has anyone found a suitable replacement that is a bit shorter, but doesn't affect the reception?

~Sponge

·
Registered
271 Posts
I took out the antenna and placed it in the cargo area. Replaced it with a screw. Pretty happy with the result. In fact, all Rav4 comes with a screw except they dumped it before delivery. :( did I say the reception with antenna is excellence except a few dead spots. :)

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would have been nice if they put on a window integrated antenna or one of those one's that are angled and attached to the back of the vehicle. 8)

·
Registered
271 Posts
rob4.3 said:
kendfw: What size screw did you get?
Don't remember the exact size but you could easily find out at your local Home Depot. Just size it using a tool over there.. May be #8 or #10 or 3/18... Remember to get a fine thread. Otherwise, you would not be able to screw it.

Mine was picked up by my buddy (he got a MSc of Mechanical Engineering). I didn't know there are two kind of threading systems. He told me to use a fine thread and the one that I bought was course thread. That explained why I could not screw it properly. Luckily, it was a plastic one otherwise it would have damaged the thread.

I also got one from the dealership. When they prepped the vehicle for sales, they threw away the screw came with the it. Stop by and see if you can make them give you one. You'll have better luck if they've a vehicle being offload from the truck. Otherwise, they'll give you their famous salesmanship lines.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I'm going to do the Home depot option because it will be a shorter drive for me. Also I doubt if my dealer will be able to help me find a screw. There's no profit to gain or if they can give me one, I may get charged MSRP for the screw :? .

Thanks for the tip kendfw!

·
Registered
271 Posts
If you could not screw down, please down force it. The action could damage the thread/gear. The reason given by my coworker is there are two types of threading. Be warn...

·
Registered
130 Posts
The very thought of someone riuining the antenna threads in their brand new Rav forced me to go outside in the cold, remove my antenna, bring it into my shop, and measure the threads.

It is M5 x .8 (5 mm diameter .8 mm pitch)

The bolt will have to be 15mm long or longer because the threads don't start until 10mm down the mount hole. There does not seem to be an upper limit to the length because it is a through hole and the extra length will just go into the fender area, assuming it is tapped all the way through.

The other 5mm metric thread is .9 pitch but they are extremely rare. It does not show up on my current thread tables but I do have a tap for it.

The ideal machine screw (which is the proper name for a bolt used in this application) is an M5 x .8 x 15

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Harold:
Thank you for braving the cold just to give the exact bolt specs. My antenna threads and I are forever greatful :lol:

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
rob4.3 said:
I'm considering one of these http://www.brandsport.com/uncuan6to21.html.

In the mean time I'm using a cheapie $3 plastic dud (see album) that I bought from Autozone.

kendfw: What size screw did you get?
I ended up buying the 6 inch black powder coat one from this site. Thanks for the link! It looks really nice. I will post a picture later this weekend :D

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
sstarrx3 said:
I ended up buying the 6 inch black powder coat one from this site. Thanks for the link! It looks really nice. I will post a picture later this weekend :D
Did you have to use any adaptor or did it fit perfectly? Yes, please post pics. I've been putting off buying 'cause I haven't decided which length to get. I like the black ones as well since I have a flint mica.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
rob4.3 said:
sstarrx3 said:
Did you have to use any adaptor or did it fit perfectly? Yes, please post pics. I've been putting off buying 'cause I haven't decided which length to get. I like the black ones as well since I have a flint mica.
It comes with several adapters for various makes of automobile, including the Toyotas. Check out the PIC in my album :D

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
raven93 said:
wow looks great what size did you get? did you notice any change in the radio reception?
It is a 6 inch antenna and no I didn't notice any change, but to be honest I listen to XM Radio all the time anyway, except to get a local traffic report. It was an asthetic thing for me. I think the small antenna just looks nicer :D

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
brandsport rav4world member discount

sstarrx3 said:
I ended up buying the 6 inch black powder coat one from this site.
I found out that members of RAV4world get 10% off on purchases from that site (brandsport.com). Were you able to get a discount? If yes, what promo code did you use? If not, maybe our moderators can let us know?

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Antenna Replacement

Thanks "rob4 3" for the link to Brandsport for the replacement antenna.
I ordered the black 9 inch AMI antenna. I got the 10% discount for having served in the military in the past. Thanks again Rob for the great tip. The black stubbie antenna will look real sharp on my silver limited.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Re: brandsport rav4world member discount

rob4.3 said:
sstarrx3 said:
I ended up buying the 6 inch black powder coat one from this site.
I found out that members of RAV4world get 10% off on purchases from that site (brandsport.com). Were you able to get a discount? If yes, what promo code did you use? If not, maybe our moderators can let us know?
I did not get the 10% discount. I wasn't aware we got a discount for being RAV4World members. Oh well, I do like the antenna though :D

1 - 20 of 78 Posts