Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,
My wife just purchased a 2005 RAV4 L, 4WD, Titanium silver. I would like to replace the horns with something other than the 'Roadrunner' "Meep, Meep" sounding units on there now.

Has anyone done this, and if so, what have you used? I am considering a set of replacement 4Runner horns exactly like the ones in my '01 4Runner, or the FIAAM Hi/Lo horns.

Thoughts are appreciated!

Andreas

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Horn Replacement

Andreas,

Let me know how your horn change goes. I am interested in changing them to a high/low also.

Good luck.

Shorty

·
Registered
875 Posts
Horn replacement instructions and other detailed info.....

Here you go shorty and aorws. Here's the horn replacement information you guys are looking for. WARNING: removing the part under the grille may be a bit difficult at first. Don't force the clips that hold it in place off. You'll break something or bend something and mess up your car like i did. If the part doesn't come off very easily, you're doing it wrong. There's no need to pull, yank and pry like i did the first time. Save your car the pain and follow these instructions posted on my site here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/351327/15

Good luck and let me know how it turns out. If i were to do it all over again, i think I may have gotten super loud horns....something you'd hear from a semi! Horns are definitely a lot louder and scare some people. Beware of the power you possess with horns like these. Also make sure if you get larger horns, that they fit in the bumber! there's not much room in there.

PIAA makes horns.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Excellent write-up! Thanks Zoomie.

I still have not made the time to do this - but will shortly!

Andreas

·
Registered
32 Posts
Would there be any way of doing this, without disturbing the existing horns? I ask because I am pretty good at working with electrical stuff, wiring etc. but not too good with moving / removing chunks of car body.

I'd like to do new horns but I don't want to take apart the front of the car. Would it be possible to unplug the existing horns, say, at the other end of the wire? Then add a new wire and a new horn elsewhere?

-Stephanie

·
Registered
875 Posts
I don't think so...

You'll have to access the wires and that'll be difficult if not impossible with the bumper in the way. It took me a good 1 hour+ to remove the bumper only b/c i didn't know how and had trouble finding the final 2 screws that keep that thing on there. If i were to do it again, it would take 10 minutes. I was definitely disappointed to discover AFTER buying the horns, that the bumper had to be removed. I was pretty overwhelmed considering i'm not the type of guy to take my car apart. I did it though, so I'm sure you can too.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I don't think so...

You'll have to access the wires and that'll be difficult if not impossible with the bumper in the way. It took me a good 1 hour+ to remove the bumper only b/c i didn't know how and had trouble finding the final 2 screws that keep that thing on there. If i were to do it again, it would take 10 minutes. I was definitely disappointed to discover AFTER buying the horns, that the bumper had to be removed. I was pretty overwhelmed considering i'm not the type of guy to take my car apart. I did it though, so I'm sure you can too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts