Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys

I purchased these key fobs here. The ones I received have the following tags with them:

FFC ID: 2AOVX-T3
Model: 2AOVX-3B
Part No: BBY-67

After reading @JuneBug 's thread here, he said he has FCC ID "HYQ12BBY"...clearly different from the ones I got.

Will the ones I got still work? It is advertised for Rav4 and the reviews are okay, but maybe I got sent the wrong ones?

Also, what's the deal with this video? Does that not work?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
There are two different key fobs excluding the one for models with push start. There is one with the dot which is a 40 bit encryption and there is the g key which is a 80 bit encryption. There is a wireless FCC ID such as HYQ12BBY. The most important part is the encryption because that bypass your car security to start. The wireless code activates the door locks only. My key has the dot which I used a HYQ12BBY key. The seller I bought from specified this key only works with fobs with a dot. If you have the g key it will not work.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are two different key fobs excluding the one for models with push start. There is one with the dot which is a 40 bit encryption and there is the g key which is a 80 bit encryption. There is a wireless FCC ID such as HYQ12BBY. The most important part is the encryption because that bypass your car security to start. The wireless code activates the door locks only. My key has the dot which I used a HYQ12BBY key. The seller I bought from specified this key only works with fobs with a dot. If you have the g key it will not work.
Thanks! My key does have the dot and I have confirmed it is a master key. I only have one. Will the keys I got not work? It doesn't say in the ad if it's for keys with dots or not :(

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Also, what's the deal with this video? Does that not work?
This video is to program cars 2005 or older which is only for the keyless part. If your car has an immobilizer (Security light that flashes located below radio or to the left of the HVAC control) it requires the mini vci cable which uses the Techstream software to program your key fob. Most seller include the Techstream software and the latest version can be found online. You will need to read the sticky to program your fob. You will also need a laptop to plug in your mini vci cable to the OBDII port.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
What year is your Rav4?

Does your keyblade have a DOT or LETTER stamped on it?

You will need Techstream to program the immobilizer chip in the key?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. In the end I think it will work. The master key I have and use to drive the car has a dot on it, the keys I received have no dot but they look identical.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Thanks guys. In the end I think it will work. The master key I have and use to drive the car has a dot on it, the keys I received have no dot but they look identical.
Only the original key will have a marking. My replacement fob key did not have a marking. But I would still ask the seller to make sure it is the right key since the chip inside will determine if it is the correct key. Another thing is that you can program the key without cutting it. Just place the uncut key inside the ignition and program it with Techstream. To test if your new programmed key fob works you need a blank key cut. Put the plain cut key in the ignition. Place the new programmed fob next to the Security light and it should flash. Then start the car with your plain cut key. If the car starts you know your new fob is programmed properly. I would also test if the the locks function works.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I recently program/techstream an extra key for my wife. I have a Base 2011 Rav4. I got the fob from Ebay. I did it with the help of 2 videos.

I use this video to program it, than I use this video as a reference and use Techstream to program the chip. Overall, I spend $3 to cut the key and $10 to fob/chip from Ebay. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I recently program/techstream an extra key for my wife. I have a Base 2011 Rav4. I got the fob from Ebay. I did it with the help of 2 videos.

I use this video to program it, than I use this video as a reference and use Techstream to program the chip. Overall, I spend $3 to cut the key and $10 to fob/chip from Ebay. Hope this helps.
Thank you for the videos. What is the difference between programming the key with Techstream vs without? I guess the first way programs the keys to open the doors but Techstream is needed to program it to start the car?

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
You can program both with techstream.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You can program both with techstream.

So just to confirm, to do this, the key needs to be cut, right? Since you need to put it into the ignition from what I see.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I beleive someone said you can without it being cut but I have never done it that way. Are you worried you got the wrong key?

I got my key cut and made sure it would turn the engine ( engine won't start without programming)to make sure the key was cut right before I used techstream to do the rest.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Okay, thanks. But also to program the immobilizer (2nd part of the guide), needs the key cut, correct? Do you also need it for the "wireless code registration" (1st part of the guide) part?
I programmed mine with the key uncut. I programmed both the wireless and immobilizer with a uncut key. It is easy to test later on with a blank key that is cut. Just put the new programmed transponder fob over the Security light and wait a few seconds and then start the car with a blank cut key. I did it this way to ensure the fob absolutely had the correct chip inside. If for some reason the chip was the wrong one inside I could return the fob to the seller with no damage to the key.

I used that blank key as an emergency key that I hide outside my car if I lose my key or locked the keys inside. Then I have another spare fob inside to start the car if I lost my fob so I can drive the car. This is to avoid any problem if I go to the lakes that may be 2-6 hours away.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts

I programmed mine with the key uncut. I programmed both the wireless and immobilizer with a uncut key. It is easy to test later on with a blank key that is cut. Just put the new programmed transponder fob over the Security light and wait a few seconds and then start the car with a blank cut key. I did it this way to ensure the fob absolutely had the correct chip inside. If for some reason the chip was the wrong one inside I could return the fob to the seller with no damage to the key.

I used that blank key as an emergency key that I hide outside my car if I lose my key or locked the keys inside. Then I have another spare fob inside to start the car if I lost my fob so I can drive the car. This is to avoid any problem if I go to the lakes that may be 2-6 hours away,

Good idea

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

I used that blank key as an emergency key that I hide outside my car if I lose my key or locked the keys inside. Then I have another spare fob inside to start the car if I lost my fob so I can drive the car. This is to avoid any problem if I go to the lakes that may be 2-6 hours away.
Thanks! So you used the Techstream procedure linked above? At what point in the guide did you place the new key over the security light? And what do you mean "start the car with a blank cut key"? Won't it not even go into the ignition?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts