I didn't try on my 08 Rav4, but with my 08 FJ (and many other Toyota models), the instructions seem to be the same. I ordered the fob keys from eBay and this is what I found out:
- Circuit board (FCC ID) is for locking/unlocking doors and tiny chip is for starting the engine.
- FCC IDs need to match so that you could program (using your master key) your key to lock/unlock doors.
- The tiny black chip (mine is 4D67) could be programmed (using the ignition 5times + door 6 times method) for your key to start the engine. (Note: I think once the new chip is programmed to match your car ignition, it cannot be reprogrammed for a different car. You have to buy a new chip).
- I didn't have to go through TechStream software to do both on my 08 FJ.
- HomeDepot and Ace Hardware may cut your keys for free, really depending on the staff.