Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently tried to replace the side marker bulb on the passenger side on my 01 Rav4. This is the bulb which is beside the headlight bulb and in the same housing. I can get my hand in there and disconnect the wire but cannot figure out how to remove the small bulb. It is so tight in there that you cannot even see what you are doing. I do not know if I have to remove the entire hesdlight housing from the vehicle to do this. Surely, it can't be that difficult to change a lightbulb. Has anyone done this before who can give me a description of the procedure? Thanks!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Tried replacing these bulbs already. You don't need to disconnect the wiring. Once you reach the bulb's assembly from behind the lamp, just give the whole thing around a quarter turn counter clockwise, then pull out. This should release the whole assembly out of the lamp, giving you easy access to replace the bulb.

To return just reinsert then turn clockwise to lock in. It helps if you view from front of the lamp to guide you if you've inserted the bulb already before the clockwise turn.

Hope this helps. :D

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wedge Bulb Replacement

This looks impossible to do from the engine compartment, but the trick is to pull back the plastic shield in the passenger's wheel well, just above the front tire (don't unscrew anything either). The plastic sheild is very flexable and will open up enough to get your hand in there and with a flash light you can see what you are doing. The bulb just untwists 1/4 turn, and pops out. I've done this a number of times testing different wedge bulbs. Pop back the plastic sheild when you are done. No need to remove or turn the tire either.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts