Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI Everyone & Happy New Year!

well its summer here in New Zealand ..... & guess what the rav is overheating again...last summer replaced cambelt tensioners waterpump hoses thermostat seals fan thermo switch etc over winter flushed everything to get the heater working ... so now I guess its time to replace the radiator as everything else should be fine unless the head or block is cracked ..I hope not theres no sign of water in the oil or steam coming out the exhaust & it makes reasonable power so hope its good.
My question is I've started looking for a new radiator my rav 1995 it has the saddle clamps at the top to hold the radiator in....when looking for a replacement I find two options in core thickness being 16mm & the other is 27mm my instinct tells me to get the thicker core radiator as I do a lot of light towing & mild offroading its an auto trans too....do I have the right idea ??? can any of you advise me of your experiences?
I think the thinner core radiators available maybe inferior copies made cheaply.
Any replies will be appreciated many thanks
Austin

·
Registered
432 Posts
Hi Austin,
Happy new year too, I can't advise you based on my experience with my rav but I can advise you based on my experience with a Triumph Stag I owned, that too used to overheat so I fitted a larger core radiator and that cured the problem. With what you have said I'd say definitely go for the larger option, good luck!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Hi Austin,
Happy new year too, I can't advise you based on my experience with my rav but I can advise you based on my experience with a Triumph Stag I owned, that too used to overheat so I fitted a larger core radiator and that cured the problem. With what you have said I'd say definitely go for the larger option, good luck!
I second what Ken said Austin, with looking at the climate in new Zealand a larger core would work well in summer and still retain enough heat in the winter to have a cosy rav

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hi ,
thanks for input regarding the core size ...I have purchased the radiator with the larger core & will fit t this weekend.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts