Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98 2wd rav4 with a damaged automatic transmission. I've been trying to figure out
what transmission I can replace it with, and have become very confused.
From my online research, it seems the 4wd rav4 uses a camry transmission A5xx,
but the 2wd uses the corolla A24x transmssion. But after spending hours scouring the junkyard
looking at all the toyota transmissions, nothing really matches. The corolla transmssion has the backside
the same, but the starter location is different. The camry transmission has the right starter location,
but has different backend. Both seem to have different electrical connectors.

There are not any Rav4's in my local junkyards, but dozens of camry and corollas,
and I can buy crashed cars with good drivetrains for cheap, if I just knew which one will work..
Can anyone help?

I'm thinking perhaps I can change the front mounting on the corolla with the rav4 to put the starter in the right place, and maybe hack the connectors??

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is a picture of the 2000 rav4 transmission:

Here is a 2004 corolla transmission, which looks the same, but the front mounting is different
where the starter mounts..

And here is a 95 camry, has right starter, but different back.

·
Registered
609 Posts
The A5xx is a family name and is all about the guts of the transmission.
To find a drop-in, bolt-in transmission: find the Toyota part number, then research what other models, if any, use that part number.

Good hunting.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Previous owner installed it without fully seating the torque converter, and bolted it to engine,
and destroyed the pump and ran the engine and distributed the metal shavings from the pump throughout
the transmission. That is damage. I could have potentially replaced just the pump and converter and torn it all apart and cleaned it, if there were no other options.
The housing is still good, and I'm pretty sure the front housing
can be swapped to a corolla transmission so it will match the rav4 transmission. I removed the front housing,
it just unbolts. I'd also say a camry transmission will also work, but didn't have time to mess around,
so, I found a 2wd rav4 transmission for $325 with a warranty.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you haven't arleady scrapped it, hang on to the old transmission. If "numbers matching", you'll want to sell it with the vehicle some day.
This 98 is not my rare softop, it is a 4-door, and it has already had the engine replaced, so no big deal to scrap the trans. I actually traded it for 4 good tires to my shop neighbor who rebuilds them and wanted the gears inside. ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts