Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I want to put some 18" or 19" on a v6 limited and most the wheels that I find are 18.8 or 19.8 ( I think the stock 18s run 18-7.5) If I went with a 8" width instead of the 7.5 is that going to stick out?

Thanks for any help or info!!!

R

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Any time you change rims & tire sizes you might change the overall diameter of the wheel and the width of the wheel.

If you go too wide, the tire can hit the fender when you turn or bounce. It will also affect your speedometer and not give you your correct speed.

I suggest you go to a shop that sells expensive wheels and get some advice from a knowledable salesperson.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Stock wheel on the Limited is 17", not 18". If you go to 18" and a wider tire, I would suspect you would need a slightly higher offset than whatever the stock 17" offset is.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
20 inch rims

has anybody installed 20 inch rims w/ low profile tires on their 06RAV4?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You mean something like this?

16" is the stock wheel
tires as follows:

215/70R16
225/65R17
235/55R18

all wheels 45mm offset, I'd go with 7" rims up to size 225 and 8" up to 245

:)

·
Registered
49 Posts
I am in the market for a 20" wheels. I typically peruse tirerack.com since they have already precalculated and predetermined which wheel packages will fit for a specific vehicle. For the 2006 RAV4, there is only one offering for the 20" wheel; too bad I don't like the style.

Furthermore, the tire specified by tirerack is 245/45R20. This basically will place the tire roughly 0.5" taller than OEM.

I'm not hugely knowledgeable when it comes to adequate offsets, etc for wheel/tire purchasing; I just know that it is a good idea to stay as close to the OEM diameter as possible.

So, if I wanted to go 275/40R20 for example, I would still be roughly 0.5" (a tad bit more) than OEM, but I know there might be other issues such as the tire/wheel sticking out of the fender; interference within the actual vehicle wheel well, etc. Not to mention turning radius issues if that fat of a tire were used in the front.

However, the look of a bigger wheel and slightly fatter tire cannot be beat in my opinion. All I have to do is look over at my neighbor's BMW X5 with the V8 to notice the aesthetic difference.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
comparing the Rav4 to the X5 is a bit extreme, but the truck rides the same as the X5 and looks almost as good as the X3

try this link:
http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp

usually it is not recommended to exceed 3% difference in tire size.
for wheels try this link:
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/

and to see how a 20" tire looks on the rav4, look at my gallery:
http://www.carspace.com/avrguy73/.59a4e612!v=

I have played around in Photoshop and I think I made look the Rav4 look better than the BMW. lol
:)

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I increased the tire size on my '99 Dakota pickup from 215/75 R15 to 235/75 R15 but kept the same rims.

The tire manufacturer's (BF Goodrich) specs said they were about 1" larger in diameter. That wasn't much of an increase in size so I didn't have any problems except with the speedometer. When it says I'm going 60 mph, I'm actually going about 63 or 64.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well if you wanted wider tires you should have gone 235/70/15
that would have been better

it is not just the speedo. larger tires affect the brakes and suspension too among the whole drivetrain.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yes, you're right: comparing the X5 to the RAV is a bit extreme...but I'm not comparing them tit for tat. I think I can get that "fat tire/big wheel" look that is appropriate for the RAV to make it in proportion to what the X5 chassis to wheel/tire size has. Maybe not 275/40R20, but something wider than 245/45R20 as suggested by tirerack. I only looked at the 275 size because I was trying to keep the height of the tire equivalent to OEM as much as possible.

In my eye, and my wife's, we observed that we like the looks of BMWs specifically because of one common feature: the bigger wheels and tires than on the other vehicles on the road. It's not really the chassis design, though that is nice too.

·
Registered
238 Posts
CONAN said:
In my eye, and my wife's, we observed that we like the looks of BMWs specifically because of one common feature: the bigger wheels and tires than on the other vehicles on the road. It's not really the chassis design, though that is nice too.
To match the BMW look, you'll need some serious rear camber. If you're ever following an X5 (especially one of the 4.6 or 4.8is', you'll notice they have a ton of rear camber.

DJ

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well if you wanted wider tires you should have gone 235/70/15 that would have been better
I did get wider tires, 235/65s are wider and larger in diameter than 215/65s.

235 is the width profile and 65 is the sidewall profile. They are a percentage of each other, if you increase the width, you also increase the sidewall.

I also replaced Goodyear tires with BF Goodrich. You need to go to the manufacturer's website to get the specific dimensions of the tires.

The reason I went to that size tire because it was an optional tire (w/same rims) for my truck when I first purchased it so I knew I could safely go to that tire without any problems.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just Googled this:

Width x Aspect Ratio = Section Height
Section Height x 2 = Combined Section Height
Combined Section Height + Wheel Diameter = Tire Diameter

1. Example: 185/60R14 85H or 185/60HR14

185mm x .60=111mm
111mm x 2=222mm
222mm + 355.6mm(14")= 577.6mm or 22.74"

The first number is the width of the tire in millimeters, measured from sidewall to sidewall. To convert to inches, divide by 25.4 In the example above, the width is 185mm or 7.28".

The second number is the aspect ratio. This is a ratio of sidewall height to width. In the example above, the tire is 7.28" wide, multiply that by the aspect ratio to find the height of one sidewall. In this case, 185x0.60=111mm or 7.28"x0.60=4.36".

The last number is the diameter of the wheel in inches.

To figure the outside diameter of a tire, take the sidewall height and multiply by 2,(remember that the diameter is made up of 2 sidewalls, the one above the wheel, and the one below the wheel) and add the diameter of the wheel to get your answer.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=7

·
Registered
88 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The other issue is why would you throw away good tires such as the yokohama geolanders? It sells for $135 each at tirerack. First I was sceptical, but it surprised me how well they handle.

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hello people

Just Thought I shud share this info

My Rav4 06 base model

I have put 255/55/R18 Bridgestones on the front ( Rims are 8 in wide)

Rears are using 285/50/R18 Bridgestones ( rims are 9 in wide )

Been using them for a month, no tyre rub on the fronts or rear. My Rav looks mean cos me car is black and the rims are 10 spoke chrome! :twisted:

The ride is the same and cabin noise hasn't changed a bit.

Used to use 255/55's on the rear for the first week, but I didn't like the stretched look of the side walls.

Gearing up to find lowering kit and go down maybe 1.5 in all the way round.

Just so you know my base dont come with the side fenders and with 255's they didnt stick out at all. Now with 285's on the rear they are just noticeably out, so I may have to get the fender trims in the future

Simply RAVishing 8)

·
Registered
88 Posts
zax.

255's wow that is nice. can you post some pics. also what is the offset on your 18x8's? im still looking into 20's but mostly the sizes are 20x8.5 so i just might go with 18's.

·
Registered
7,808 Posts
zax143 said:
Hello people

Just Thought I shud share this info

My RAV4 06 base model

I have put 255/55/R18 Bridgestones on the front ( Rims are 8 in wide)

Rears are using 285/50/R18 Bridgestones ( rims are 9 in wide )

Been using them for a month, no tyre rub on the fronts or rear. My RAV looks mean cos me car is black and the rims are 10 spoke chrome! :twisted:

The ride is the same and cabin noise hasn't changed a bit.

Used to use 255/55's on the rear for the first week, but I didn't like the stretched look of the side walls.

Gearing up to find lowering kit and go down maybe 1.5 in all the way round.

Just so you know my base dont come with the side fenders and with 255's they didnt stick out at all. Now with 285's on the rear they are just noticeably out, so I may have to get the fender trims in the future

Simply RAVishing 8)
sounds nice ... any pics? 8)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts