Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

So the front two tires on our 2009 Rav4 are pretty much done (the rear two are fine). These are Nexen Roadian HT 225/65/17s

What size tires can I replace these with at this point? I'm in SoCal and am looking for anything reliable/durable that will give the best mileage.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Hey all,

So the front two tires on our 2009 Rav4 are pretty much done (the rear two are fine). These are Nexen Roadian HT 225/65/17s

What size tires can I replace these with at this point? I'm in SoCal and am looking for anything reliable/durable that will give the best mileage.
If you're only replacing two, I don't think you have a choice. It has to be the same as what you have now.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I should have clarified but I would plan on changing out *all* the tires. I'm assuming I couldn't buy the stock 16" tires though so would have to go with the 17" ones. And I'm guessing I should probably stick with the exact same size/ratings: 225/65/17?

·
Super Moderator
11,461 Posts
Uh.......If you have 17" wheels then 16" tires won't fit will they? Go with the stock size. I also commented on your same post on Toyota Nation about buying one size smaller shoes for your feet. Would they fit?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Uh.......If you have 17" wheels then 16" tires won't fit will they? Go with the stock size. I also commented on your same post on Toyota Nation about buying one size smaller shoes for your feet. Would they fit?

Thanks... apparently our Rav4 came with 17" rims - I think 16" are stock so that's why I was getting thrown off... I don't want to have to change out my rims/wheels in addition to go back to the stock 16" so I'm going to just look for the 17"s

Any brands and specific models I should be considering? Right now I'm looking at getting General Altimax RT43 H-speed.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Any brands and specific models I should be considering? Right now I'm looking at getting General Altimax RT43 H-speed.
If you live where it snows (can't tell from your signature) my research suggests that if you're only going to have one set of tires the Nokian WRG3 SUV may be the best combination of performance year-round. I have not owned a set myself, just the research indicates that is a great choice.

I do live where it snows, and run Micheline Latitude Tour HP tires in the summer (exceptionally quiet, excellent handling in water) and Nokian Hakkapelliita R2 SUV tires in the winter. So far I have been extremely pleased with both sets.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Nokian R2 SUV are the best choice in snow and ice in winter. They are not the best in the summer! I have Michelin Latitude in the summer and those Nokian tyres in the winter. We in Finland use winter tyres (M+S) from november to april (have to use those by law from december to march). Most of the drivers use tyres with spikes and about 20% use spikeless like I do.

Uti

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi,
To clarify - a bit - 225/65R17 are Stock tires...depends on your RAV4's model/trim- Base, Sport, Limited.

I put those same General Altimax RT43 on my '07 RAV4, as they were highly rated by CR AND a great price online.

They should do well as an all-season. If you're a winter-recreationalist you probably already know that dedicated winter tires are best.

If you're asking about up-sizing (or down-sizing?) aka 'Plus 1' etc. There are other sizes of 17" Tires that WILL fit your Wheels/Rims, but they may rub your struts and/or inner fender well covers if you go too wide or too tall....and mess-up your speedo's accuracy.

Td

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Nokian R2 SUV are the best choice in snow and ice in winter. They are not the best in the summer! I have Michelin Latitude in the summer and those Nokian tyres in the winter. We in Finland use winter tyres (M+S) from november to april (have to use those by law from december to march). Most of the drivers use tyres with spikes and about 20% use spikeless like I do.

Uti
We're not allowed to use spikes (studded tires) where I am, otherwise I'd sure consider it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts