Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Replacing 17" rim tires

4K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  DVS 
#1 ·
Hey all,

So the front two tires on our 2009 Rav4 are pretty much done (the rear two are fine). These are Nexen Roadian HT 225/65/17s

What size tires can I replace these with at this point? I'm in SoCal and am looking for anything reliable/durable that will give the best mileage.

#4 ·
Thanks, I should have clarified but I would plan on changing out *all* the tires. I'm assuming I couldn't buy the stock 16" tires though so would have to go with the 17" ones. And I'm guessing I should probably stick with the exact same size/ratings: 225/65/17?

#5 ·
Uh.......If you have 17" wheels then 16" tires won't fit will they? Go with the stock size. I also commented on your same post on Toyota Nation about buying one size smaller shoes for your feet. Would they fit?

#6 ·
Thanks... apparently our Rav4 came with 17" rims - I think 16" are stock so that's why I was getting thrown off... I don't want to have to change out my rims/wheels in addition to go back to the stock 16" so I'm going to just look for the 17"s

Any brands and specific models I should be considering? Right now I'm looking at getting General Altimax RT43 H-speed.

#8 ·
Nokian R2 SUV are the best choice in snow and ice in winter. They are not the best in the summer! I have Michelin Latitude in the summer and those Nokian tyres in the winter. We in Finland use winter tyres (M+S) from november to april (have to use those by law from december to march). Most of the drivers use tyres with spikes and about 20% use spikeless like I do.

Uti

#9 ·
Hi,
To clarify - a bit - 225/65R17 are Stock tires...depends on your RAV4's model/trim- Base, Sport, Limited.

I put those same General Altimax RT43 on my '07 RAV4, as they were highly rated by CR AND a great price online.

They should do well as an all-season. If you're a winter-recreationalist you probably already know that dedicated winter tires are best.

If you're asking about up-sizing (or down-sizing?) aka 'Plus 1' etc. There are other sizes of 17" Tires that WILL fit your Wheels/Rims, but they may rub your struts and/or inner fender well covers if you go too wide or too tall....and mess-up your speedo's accuracy.

Td

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.