Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sisters 2004 RAV4 4WD had two rebuilt transmissions put in it in July/August 2015 (the first one did not last a month) now the Flex Plat has cracked. This time I am going to pull the engine and transmission out to do the flex plate replacement. I've got Toyota's Service manuals to do the engine pull but I'm running into bizarre problems on the no-brainier steps. The first step; Drain the fluids. It lists all four fluids to drain, 1) Drain engine oil, 2) Drain engine coolant, 3) Drain trans-axle fluid, and 4) Drain transfer fluid. The first three steps went well but I cannot find any drain plugs on the transfer case. What am I missing? Got a photo of what it is supposed to look like?

A few steps later it says to disconnect the engine wire harness from the junction box. The instructions detail how to remove the fuse box first (I've done that) and then it says to pull the engine wire connector out of the junction box and disconnect the connector. This time there is a sketch showing the wire harness end lifting straight up., which makes sense since the wire harness is integral with a slider plate in the side wall of the junction box and it can only move straight up. The problem is that it will not move at all. It feels like there is some sort of hidden clasp holding it down. Does anybody know how this is supposed to work? can you explain it? Got pictures?

I would greatly appreciate your advice.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
The transfer drain plug is almost in the middle bottom of the engine area. You need ramps/jack stand to bring the car up so see it since it is deep in there. It should be close to the exhaust pipe and transfer case. Before you drain the transfer case ensure you can get the fill plug out since that one is even harder to get out since there is limited space to work on with the exhaust pipe in the way. I took it to a mechanic since it was not worth the headache to wrench it out once I knew where it was located. Removing the passenger tire will also enable you to see the top of the transfer fill bolt.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Harness Disconnect From Junction Box

DL175

I removed the wheel and wiped around by the exhaust pipe and now it stands out like a sore thumb. That is embarrassing, but I'm glad I asked. I see what you mean about the fill plug being tucked above the exhaust pipe. Since the exhaust pipe has to come out to remove the engine I am going to wait till then to drain the transfer case as that should make it easier. Thank you

At risk of pushing my luck, do you have any suggestion on how the hidden latch works in order to get the wire harness to disconnect from the junction box?

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
DL175

I removed the wheel and wiped around by the exhaust pipe and now it stands out like a sore thumb. That is embarrassing, but I'm glad I asked. I see what you mean about the fill plug being tucked above the exhaust pipe. Since the exhaust pipe has to come out to remove the engine I am going to wait till then to drain the transfer case as that should make it easier. Thank you

At risk of pushing my luck, do you have any suggestion on how the hidden latch works in order to get the wire harness to disconnect from the junction box?
AVIDHUTER2225105 sorry I can't seem to recall working with the wire harness from the junction box. Maybe someone else may have experience in that neck of the wood.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DL175 said:
AVIDHUNTER sorry I can't seem to recall working with the wire harness from the junction box. Maybe someone else may have experience in that neck of the wood.
Thank you DL175

Does anybody else have any idea for how the wire harness connection to the junction box can be disconnected without a hammer?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts