Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone replace a catalytic converter on a 2001 Rav4? If so where is it located and how difficult is it too replace? Is it DIY?

I'm trying to figure out where it is located and how to replace it.
My Rav4 has 150,000 miles on it and getting error code P0420, which equates to Catalytic converter. I tried looking it up on All Data and it just references the Exhaust Manifold. Is the catalytic converter part of the manifold?

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
You do not need the cat in order for the RAV4 to run. Without the cat, you will have a bit more performance on the higher rpm range. Not sure in the US whether you will have to go through a compulsory exhaust check or not.

The cat is not something of a DIY job if you don't know about cars. You need exhaust cement and a few tools to remove the rusty exhaust bolts from heat. Give it to an exhaust shop.

I never have a cat on my RAV4. Give me more power at 7000rpm.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I believe a catalytic converter is required by most all states. If you don't have one, you will fail state inspection.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep.. Need the cat to pass state inspection. I think I'm going to try and replace it myself. I've looked at the manuals to replace it and it doesn't look that difficult.
The manifold is around $400.00. Gasket around $25.00.
If I take it to the Dealer, it'll run me around $1,200.00

1 - 4 of 4 Posts