Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed the infinity reference dashboard speakers and the improvement was pronounced. It took me a while to come back to doing the doors, I think I have everything prepped, but wanted to ask here before I go removing door panels.

As the dash speakers are 3ohm, I've paired them with the 3ohm infinity reference door speakers.

I've purchased the following:

• Infinity Reference 6532EX 6-1/2" speakers (2 pairs) link
  • Metra 82-8148 6" to 6-3/4" speaker adapter (2 pairs) link
  • Red Wolf speaker wire harness connector (2 pairs) link
The above is going into a non-JBL RAV4 Prime SE.

The videos and guides I've read thus far aren't great. I'm hoping this will be straightforward, with no need to cut/crimp/terminate wires. Hopefully someone who has already done this upgrade can take a look and let me know if any of the above isn't going to work.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I put Infinity Reference in all 4 of my doors along with the 2 in the dash. The only other thing you will need is a 5mm drill bit to remove the speakers. They have rivets holding them in place. You will not need to cut or splice anything. I didn't use the grills that came with the speakers because the trim pad would not go back on properly.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Just did JBLs in my RAV4. You do need to drill out rivets, but otherwise the install is pretty easy. The doors are really to disassemble.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just installed 6 Skar speakers in mine, the pop rivets were a slight hassle, but not too much. I can't wait to amplify them, but that'll come later

·
Registered
16 Posts
I installed the infinity reference dashboard speakers and the improvement was pronounced. It took me a while to come back to doing the doors, I think I have everything prepped, but wanted to ask here before I go removing door panels.

As the dash speakers are 3ohm, I've paired them with the 3ohm infinity reference door speakers.

I've purchased the following:

• Infinity Reference 6532EX 6-1/2" speakers (2 pairs) link
  • Metra 82-8148 6" to 6-3/4" speaker adapter (2 pairs) link
  • Red Wolf speaker wire harness connector (2 pairs) link
The above is going into a non-JBL RAV4 Prime SE.

The videos and guides I've read thus far aren't great. I'm hoping this will be straightforward, with no need to cut/crimp/terminate wires. Hopefully someone who has already done this upgrade can take a look and let me know if any of the above isn't going to work.
You have the main pieces you'll need. As others have stated the only annoyance is the rivets. The wiring adapter makes it plug-in-play. If you're feeling frisky get some 80 mil sound deadening and add that while you're at it, but it's not really necessary unless you add an amplifier and plan to turn up the volume.

Only other thing you might want is some foam speaker rings/fast rings that go around the speaker after it's mounted. I had some leftover thick weather stripping from a home project I used, and it did make a noticeable difference to sound quality vs when I didn't have any fast rings installed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sound like you are having fun. Just be careful with that impedance. With two 3 ohm speakers in parallel, you would be presenting a 1.5 ohm load to whatever is doing the amplification. Not much hardware out there can sink enough current, in a cool fashion, to be stable at driving 1.5 ohms.

I believe the stock non-JBL system uses 4 ohm drivers, which, in parallel is already at 2 ohms.

·
Registered
'19 Rav4 XLE Hybrid--Magnetic Gray Metallic
173 Posts
I put Infinity Reference in all 4 of my doors along with the 2 in the dash. The only other thing you will need is a 5mm drill bit to remove the speakers. They have rivets holding them in place. You will not need to cut or splice anything. I didn't use the grills that came with the speakers because the trim pad would not go back on properly.
How would you rate the audio quality improvement after upgrading the door speakers? I upgraded the 2 small speaks in the dash and I agree that it made a substantial improvement overall. On another thread, many mentioned that their really no point of upgrading the door speakers unless you intend to also install an amp? What has your experience been?

·
Registered
237 Posts
How would you rate the audio quality improvement after upgrading the door speakers? I upgraded the 2 small speaks in the dash and I agree that it made a substantial improvement overall. On another thread, many mentioned that their really no point of upgrading the door speakers unless you intend to also install an amp? What has your experience been?
I think the sound quality is improved, especially on the low end of the frequency spectrum and at moderate and higher volumes. At low volume difference isn't noticeable. At high volume the bass now shakes the mirror (and didn't before).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts