Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks!
My 97' Rav has been having some issues lately with the driver's side window, and I'm getting ready to replace the window regulator.
A few months ago my window became disconnected from the regulator, so that when the regulator rolled down , the window would stay up until I pushed it down... But the regulator would still push it up.
Just yesterday, I had an issue where it seems that the regulator is getting caught up inside the door, and while I can hear it moving, it doesn't sound healthy and it seems to be stuck at the bottom half of its travel.
I found some regulators for pretty cheap on Rock Auto, but my question is, is it worth it to replace the regulator and motor assembly, or should I replace just the regulator?

·
Registered
457 Posts
-- Are you sure Rockauto.com sells regulators without motors? I am looking at the site now. So far I am seeing only full regulator-motor assemblies. (Note: I am a big fan of Rockauto.com, especially when their electrical parts have OEM maker "Aisin" stamped on them.)

-- I have removed and re-installed the window regulator and motor assembly a few times now. I do not think the full assembly is much more expensive than buying just the regulator. Plus by purchasing the full assembly (meaning regulator and motor), (1) you save yourself the labor of figuring out how to detach the regulator cables yada from the motor; and (2) you have more assurance that the problem will be fixed.

-- If you want a project, you can try swapping the rear door's window motor's rotor and brushes into the front door's window motor and see if this fixes the problem. See https://www.rav4world.com/threads/swapping-window-regulator-rotors-and-brushes.301380/ . My swap is still going strong.

-- Often times the problem is the switch in the armrest. A replacement of the full armrest switch assembly is then appropriate.

-- I no longer try to use the auto-raise-window switch feature. The manual-raise-window switch feature works every time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
-- Are you sure Rockauto.com sells regulators without motors? I am looking at the site now. So far I am seeing only full regulator-motor assemblies. (Note: I am a big fan of Rockauto.com, especially when their electrical parts have OEM maker "Aisin" stamped on them.)

-- I have removed and re-installed the window regulator and motor assembly a few times now. I do not think the full assembly is much more expensive than buying just the regulator. Plus by purchasing the full assembly (meaning regulator and motor), (1) you save yourself the labor of figuring out how to detach the regulator cables yada from the motor; and (2) you have more assurance that the problem will be fixed.

-- If you want a project, you can try swapping the rear door's window motor's rotor and brushes into the front door's window motor and see if this fixes the problem. See https://www.rav4world.com/threads/swapping-window-regulator-rotors-and-brushes.301380/ . My swap is still going strong.

-- Often times the problem is the switch in the armrest. A replacement of the full armrest switch assembly is then appropriate.

-- I no longer try to use the auto-raise-window switch feature. The manual-raise-window switch feature works every time.
Thanks for the reply. I think you're right about just replacing the whole assembly... I'm sure after almost 200k mi it certainly couldn't hurt, and it's not much more expensive...
I'm sure that the problem is just the regulator. When I took apart the door the first time after the window fell in, I discovered it was just the part that clips to the window that had broken off so that the window itself was no longer physically attached to the regulator. It still went up and down just fine though after I put the window back on the track.
The latest issue happened when I tried to roll the window up, and I think the window came off the track again, and caused the same problem. I bet if I took it apart and put the window back on track it would still work, but it still wouldn't be attached to the regulator... I just would rather have it work properly at this point.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Thanks for re-explaining the failure mechanism. That seems like a funny mode of failure. Like maybe the window got a bit cattywompus at some point (due to lack of lube at some point?) and stressed the holder?

I have taken to spraying the rubber tracks (in which the window rides) with silicone lube once a year or so, then running the window up and down several times, to help relieve stress on the motor and perhaps anything else.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts