Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. This is my first post on this site so please forgive me if I seem out of place. Anyways I have a 2015 Toyota Rav4 LE and I recently got T-boned on the passengers front door. The Geico inspector said that the RT Outer Panel(p/n 671110R040) needs to be replaced. When I look at the door on my car it doesn't look like the outside of the door separates from the rest of the door. It looks to me like the entire outside shell of the door is one piece. This is just from me looking at it so I may be wrong and not see some hidden bolts that fasten the outside panel to the rest of the door. My question is does anybody have experience in removing this panel? i would really like to replace it myself. Thank you.

·
0 Posts
That part number is for a door skin.. Unless you have the right tools, and have done it before, I would not suggest you do it..

·
Registered
419 Posts
The outer sheet metal (1 piece stamping) is referred to as the "door skin".

The inner sheet metal (1 piece stamping) is referred to as "door shell".

^^ Properly mating both OEM stamping's is critical, for the proper door fit & finish.

After damaged door skin is removed, from inner door shell:
- the 2 panels get a bead of 3M structural glue, on the outside bonding edges
- the outer skin perimeter edge is folded around the door shell
- takes special auto body tools (edge folding crimp tool & many holding "C" clamps)
- plus Technician talent to properly align door unit, prior to 3M glue drying...avoid twisting framework / rebuilt door, must remain square with proper door gaps
- after the bond dries, prime & paint
PS - Door flanges can be Spot welded, Mig welded or Glued structurally / not an easy DIY.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts