Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My radiator is leaking from a few different places and I have been filling it for a few months.

Decided to get a new radiator from Toyota today. $170 something.

What else should I change while I am doing it? Hoses?
I know Freon will be refilled because AC is connected to the radiator.

I want to make sure I change anything that goes with it as it would be cheaper to take care of it together.
Anything around that area not really a part of the cooling system?

Thanks.

·
Registered
881 Posts
My radiator is leaking from a few different places and I have been filling it for a few months.

Decided to get a new radiator from Toyota today. $170 something.

What else should I change while I am doing it? Hoses?
I know Freon will be refilled because AC is connected to the radiator.

I want to make sure I change anything that goes with it as it would be cheaper to take care of it together.
Anything around that area not really a part of the cooling system?

Thanks.
Luckily the AC condenser is not connected to the radiator, it is in front of it and shouldn't need to be touched to change the radiator. If you have a transmission oil cooler that would be connected to the radiator at the bottom. I would change hoses/clamps and the thermostat since you are flushing the fluid and they are cheap. If it's a genuine Toyota radiator you can reuse your rad cap but if it's aftermarket, make sure to get the rad cap that goes with it, they are not all the same even if they fit (learned that the hard way).

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Luckily the AC condenser is not connected to the radiator, it is in front of it and shouldn't need to be touched to change the radiator. If you have a transmission oil cooler that would be connected to the radiator at the bottom. I would change hoses/clamps and the thermostat since you are flushing the fluid and they are cheap. If it's a genuine Toyota radiator you can reuse your rad cap but if it's aftermarket, make sure to get the rad cap that goes with it, they are not all the same even if they fit (learned that the hard way).

Thanks!!

It is OEM so the cap will switch over. I will get a thermostat as well.
I have a shop next to my work that can do it for $150.00. I have the radiator sitting at home. Will wait for my current issue to get worse. Want to use it to end. LOL !

·
Registered
25 Posts
FYI i just replaced my leaking radiator on my 96 AWD manual and although they said you can replace it without removing the condenser i found it too difficult for my hobby mechanic skills. maybe useless bit of info since your taking it in but good luck and RAV on.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
FYI i just replaced my leaking radiator on my 96 AWD manual and although they said you can replace it without removing the condenser i found it too difficult for my hobby mechanic skills. maybe useless bit of info since your taking it in but good luck and RAV on.
So you had to take out the condenser and Freon gas had to be refilled ?

·
Registered
609 Posts
I replaced my radiator without removing the condenser or losing the Freon.
The repair went really easy, at the time I replaced mine there was a really good YouTube video from Australia, that showed step by step on a 1st generation Rav4.
The main trick in getting the radiator out is knowing that the lower hose nipple fits in and out at the top-right corner of the core-support(looking at the front of the car). Even though it sits in the opposite corner when installed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts