Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Replacing RAV4 Prime’s Tires

21758 70
Anyone else already changed or planning to change out their OEM tires? Most vehicles typically come originally with what I would call as “second tier” tires. I typically when we get a new vehicle, drive it a couple of days to insure all is working as it should, then head over to my tire store and upgrade the tires over the OEM ones provided.

I am looking for better handling and better braking, and other improvements by going to premium tires. In the case of a RAV 4 hybrid and especially now the RAv4 Prime, another key is no significant lose in electrical range mileage.

I am pretty sure I have found my Prime’s replacement tires, the Michelin CrossClimate 2 A/S’s.

However if you have other tires I should consider, please let me know your recommendations.

Here’s why I am at this point going to get the Michelin C/C 2’s, noting that they are Michelin classified as an “Eco Focus: total performance energy saver” (their newer term replacing ‘GreenX’ on earlier version tires), a 3-peak mountain snowflake tire, and it having excellent wet and dry weather traction.”

a 3-peak

More than what Michelin says about them is here:

And a comparative test run by TireRack:

Pirelli P7 Cinturato Plus 2 vs Michelin Cross Climate 2 vs Bridgestone Turanza Quiet Track:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=261

Or are most going to stay with the tires your Prime came with until they need replacement?
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Synthetic rubber Auto part
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
The marketing departments will promise all sorts of things to convince you it's an all-in-one tire. It's not. You can have low rolling resistance or you can have traction, never both. No doubt it's a fine tire but you should expect a 5-10% drop in MPG or EV range. The Michelin Premier remains the best all-around AS tire with decent rolling resistance. The Premier LTX will offer a bit more traction at a small cost in MPG.

Also keep in mind that LRR tires come with a significant cost in reduced tread life which usually negates any advantage in MPG.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks rdgrimes. I will check the Premier LTX’s out. It is an “older” tire than the new CrossClimate 2. Wonder what I will find out in a comparo.

For our usage pattern if we were to go from 42 mile average range to 37/38 miles it would hardly make a difference. Of course if one commutes 40 miles round trip to work, that would be substantive choice/consequenice.

·
Premium Member
8,119 Posts
CR rated the Michelin Premier LTX good to excellent except for tread life, the CrossClimate SUV scored the same 74, but was more even across the board, but other tests said it was noisy at highway speeds. I'm waiting for Costco's New Year's day Michelin sale, hoping they have it again.

Very quiet and impressively low rolling resistance which is a factor in fuel economy. Strong wet grip among peer tires.
Tread life is relatively low among tested peer models.

This Michelin is one of the top-rated tires in the truck all-season category, with strong scores on CR's tests for wet-braking performance and resisting hydroplaning. It’s also quiet, with an Excellent rating for noise, and it earns an Excellent rating for rolling resistance—the latter can aid fuel economy. However, 40,000-mile predicted tread life ranks below average.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
TireRack’s test of the CrossClimate 2’s:

“The Michelin CrossClimate² also exceeded expectations with a well-damped ride over both sharp and smooth pavement inconsistencies. The succinct impacts were well-muted without any significant cavity noise or ringing. Tread noise was very competitive for a Grand Touring All-Season tire, exhibiting a low-volume, even white noise at a slightly higher pitch than the other tires in our test. Even at varying speeds on smooth asphalt roads, the CrossClimate² managed to harmonize the noise from the tread pattern into a consistent tone. This impressed our team, especially considering the tire earns the 3PMSF symbol. Handling from the CrossClimate² was once again fitting for a touring tire, but could benefit from an increase in steering resistance. The on-center feel was a little light for our team, and combined with quick steering response that made directional changes seem possible with little effort.

Michelin's CrossClimate² brings cutting edge technology to our test, with the implication of enhanced snow traction which is quickly becoming mandatory for the informed tire purchaser that demands winter weather performance. The CrossClimate²'s civilized road manners and on-track capabilities confirm it hasn't lost sight of its primary mission as a quiet, comfortable Grand Touring All-Season tire for discerning drivers. “

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 Prime XSE Premium
166 Posts
Mine came with the Yokohama Avid GT and so far I’m very impressed with the handling and performance however those CrossClimate ones seem to be very good never mind they look pretty kick ass :)

Those could be the next tires I get when I’m done with the Yoko ones.

·
Registered
2021 Rav4 Prime max trim
1,121 Posts
I was planning on putting CrossClimate 2 (CC2) tires on my R4P after I wear the Yokohama Avid GTs down. I really wanted to change to CC2 tires before I took possession, but things happened quickly after my R4P arrived at the dealership. I missed my opportunity to get credit for the overpriced, quick to wear, Yokohama’s towards the expensive but surprisingly closely priced CC2 Tires. I got really excited when I saw the CC2 tires because I put CrossClimate+ (Predecessor of CC2) on wife’s 2017 Prius Prime and have loved everything about them; ride, noise, dry & wet handling and looks. I look forward to putting the Snowflake winter-rated CrossClimate+ tires on Prius Prime to the heavy NY Upstate winter test. One to three inches of snow coming tonight to play with.

Here is link to CrossClimate+ tires on 2017 Prius Prime;

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I bought, enjoyed and relished a set of Nokian Hakkapelittas in extreme snow but found that under typical non-snowy wet winter condtions they were less than impresssive. And talking about expensive! I have no experience with their WRG4’s.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'll be eyeing the CC2's myself when the time comes. Has anyone looked at or purchased Nokian WRG4's?
I am on my second set of Nokian snow tires. I used my first set which I think was a WRG3 for eight years. Last year I bought some Hakkapelitta R3 SUVs. I have been very happy with them. In Washington state I use them mostly on loose snow, compact snow and wet pavement. I can’t speak to how well they would work on actual ice. I did notice that they are a little noisier than my all season tires. And they are a little bit worse mileage. But I am willing to make that sacrifice as I just use them in the winter months. I did some research and I see no reason to buy a different brand of snow tires for the conditions I drive in. I recommend the Nokian snow tires.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was surprised that since the majority of the RAV4’s we have seen tested/reviewed have had Yokohama Avid GT’s, that as per TireRack their UTQG tire wear rating is a paultry 280. In comparison both Michelins being discussed above, the CrossClimate2 and the Premier LTX, have 620’s UTOG (a good tire wear rating).

·
Registered
218 Posts
I am on my second set of Nokian snow tires. I used my first set which I think was a WRG3 for eight years. Last year I bought some Hakkapelitta R3 SUVs. I have been very happy with them. In Washington state I use them mostly on loose snow, compact snow and wet pavement. I can’t speak to how well they would work on actual ice. I did notice that they are a little noisier than my all season tires. And they are a little bit worse mileage. But I am willing to make that sacrifice as I just use them in the winter months. I did some research and I see no reason to buy a different brand of snow tires for the conditions I drive in. I recommend the Nokian snow tires.
I have RAV4 plug in premium with 235/55-19 Nokian R3 tires for winter. I took same wheels than those originals are.
pressures are 2,9 bar and still wery comfortable to drive. Efficient? Yes they are better than summertires. Best trip now 91,8 km. 16,00 kWh/100 km.
14,695 kWh charging after 91,8 km .
14,695:0,918= 16,00762527233115 kWh/100 km
My Range is now 91,1 km record, but its with aircondition about 87 km. And its rising. The front mask is shielded allmoust full. 2 lines from upper row is free.
My summertires are Bridgestone Alenza 001, which are wery good tires and if you can get the cheap, just take them. Quiet and comfort and good handling.

Attachments

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 Prime SE; 2022 XC60 T8 ER
486 Posts
So what will you do with your OEM tires if you immediately replace those new tires with Michelins? Is there any way to get good money back on them with full tread? That idea had not occured to me. I figured that we'd just drive them a couple of years and change to Michelins when they get near 20k or 30k miles, depending on how well or how poorly they handle.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My great Discoiunt Tire Manger will buy them from me — as a trade in contribution on the new ones I buy from him). I believe all DT dealers will do likewise. As could most other tire dealers.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Remember to take right size. SE or XSE should be the same size. 235/60-18 or 235/55-19. 225/60-18 is somekind of gap between the engineering chain and there is any reason to take that smaler 225/60-18. Efficiency Yes, but 225/65-18 then.

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 Prime SE; 2022 XC60 T8 ER
486 Posts
Mine came with the Yokohama Avid GT and so far I’m very impressed with the handle and performance however those CrossClimate ones seem to be very good never mind they look pretty kick ass :)

Those could be the next tires I get when I’m done with the Yoko ones.
Interesting. Our SE Prime came with Dunlop Grandtrek PT20 (18-inch) tires.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've been researching the Mich. CrossClimate and the Continental CrossContact LX25. Need decent snow performance. Here's a comparison review - https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=246. The CrossContact LX25's has a 70k warranty, but as Costco says I can get the CrossClimates thru them, might prefer that due to easy balance and rotate. Anyone have experience with the Continental's?

·
Registered
562 Posts
Anyone else already changed or planning to change out their OEM tires? Most vehicles typically come originally with what I would call as “second tier” tires. I typically when we get a new vehicle, drive it a couple of days to insure all is working as it should, then head over to my tire store and upgrade the tires over the OEM ones provided.

I am looking for better handling and better braking, and other improvements by going to premium tires. In the case of a RAV 4 hybrid and especially now the RAv4 Prime, another key is no significant lose in electrical range mileage.

I am pretty sure I have found my Prime’s replacement tires, the Michelin CrossClimate 2 A/S’s.

However if you have other tires I should consider, please let me know your recommendations.

Here’s why I am at this point going to get the Michelin C/C 2’s, noting that they are Michelin classified as an “Eco Focus: total performance energy saver” (their newer term replacing ‘GreenX’ on earlier version tires), a 3-peak mountain snowflake tire, and it having excellent wet and dry weather traction.”

a 3-peak

More than what Michelin says about them is here:

And a comparative test run by TireRack:

Pirelli P7 Cinturato Plus 2 vs Michelin Cross Climate 2 vs Bridgestone Turanza Quiet Track:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=261

Or are most going to stay with the tires your Prime came with until they need replacement? View attachment 158582
I'm planning on getting these exact same tires for my 2010 RAV4 Limited V6 4wd!!!!

1 - 20 of 71 Posts