Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Replacing RAV4 Prime’s Tires

21758 70
Anyone else already changed or planning to change out their OEM tires? Most vehicles typically come originally with what I would call as “second tier” tires. I typically when we get a new vehicle, drive it a couple of days to insure all is working as it should, then head over to my tire store and upgrade the tires over the OEM ones provided.

I am looking for better handling and better braking, and other improvements by going to premium tires. In the case of a RAV 4 hybrid and especially now the RAv4 Prime, another key is no significant lose in electrical range mileage.

I am pretty sure I have found my Prime’s replacement tires, the Michelin CrossClimate 2 A/S’s.

However if you have other tires I should consider, please let me know your recommendations.

Here’s why I am at this point going to get the Michelin C/C 2’s, noting that they are Michelin classified as an “Eco Focus: total performance energy saver” (their newer term replacing ‘GreenX’ on earlier version tires), a 3-peak mountain snowflake tire, and it having excellent wet and dry weather traction.”

a 3-peak

More than what Michelin says about them is here:

And a comparative test run by TireRack:

Pirelli P7 Cinturato Plus 2 vs Michelin Cross Climate 2 vs Bridgestone Turanza Quiet Track:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=261

Or are most going to stay with the tires your Prime came with until they need replacement?
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Synthetic rubber Auto part
21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Rav4 Prime max trim
1,121 Posts
I got the CrossClimate+ tires for my wife’s Prius Prime and they have been very good on dry and wet and no noise issues. I have not had them through the hard winters here near Syracuse NY, but I have high expectations based on the reviews. Michelin has gone ahead and made a newer/better version of the tire; CrossClimate2 https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=CrossClimate2

I’m planning on putting CrossClimate2 tires on my Rav4 XSE Prime after I wear through the Yokohama Avid GT in 2 - 3 years.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
This test summary by TireRack is worth reading for those thinking here specifically the Continental vs the Pirelli vs the Michelin CrossClimate2.

TireRack said:
Summary

Crossovers and SUVs are seen as do-it-all vehicles; so ideally, they should be paired with tires to match, and the three new products in our test certainly proved they can do it all at a very high level.

The Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus II does a successful job of improving upon the already high standards set by its predecessor. On-road refinement is first rate and would be an excellent match for a luxury SUV in addition to vehicles that are more entry-level. It's sporty enough to be fun without detracting from the polished persona, and Pirelli definitely accomplished their goal of improved wet performance. The light snow traction is good, though a small step behind the other tires in this group. The Michelin CrossClimate SUV is the athlete of the test with a firm, controlled ride, sharp steering response and a little bit of noticeable tread growl on the road. The tire's objective braking and skid pad figures also led the test in both the dry and the wet, and it is a confident performer in light snow. The Continental CrossContact LX25 is the most easygoing tire in the test. The steering is just a little bit slower or more relaxed than the others, and the soft, comfortable ride is slightly upset by large impacts. It's capable and confident in both the dry and the wet, though it's not intended to be a superstar on the track. Test-leading light snow traction and driving dynamics are additional positive notes as well.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thanks rdgrimes. I will check the Premier LTX’s out. It is an “older” tire than the new CrossClimate 2. Wonder what I will find out in a comparo.

For our usage pattern if we were to go from 42 mile average range to 37/38 miles it would hardly make a difference. Of course if one commutes 40 miles round trip to work, that would be substantive choice/consequenice.
I had Mich Pr LTX on my Outback for 18K. Very good tire all around, exceptional in the wet. But as other have reported, they wear down fairly rapidly.
I replace them with Pirelli P7 A/S Plus IIs. With about 800 on the P7 +IIs I have found them to be as excellent in the wet and on compact snow and ice (drove about 2 miles under those conditions testing their traction & stopping capabilities). They excel with a very quiet, velvety ride, which is what I was after. No change in MPG.
That said, TireRack doesn't have any data on the P7 +II in winter conditions. If I were in an area that required me to drive a lot in snow and ice, I might have opted for the CC2.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I agree that Michelin’s wear faster than their treadware ratings but as my Discount Tire will every time make it up to me giving me what ever complete mileage crediit needed when I replace with more Michelin’s, so what if I only get 2/3’s of their original mileage rating. Also many of the OEM tires coming on the RP4 have QTOG ratings of around 280 and the Michelin CrossClimate2‘s have a 640 rating, so the combo of the two keeps me happy with Michelin (CC2’s and other earlier tires or theirs). And along the way the Michelin’s handle better on dry and wet pavement, handle better straight line and cornering, a world better on snow, and are safer all the time, so definitely its Michelin’s for me Especially now with this $120 current credit card reward for a set of four (though December 9th).

As for those who wish to get other top line tires for their R4P’s other than Michelin;’s I I say whatever bravo, e.g., what works better for you. I know I will never run a second rate tire (OEM or not).

·
Registered
35 Posts
Mostly accurate. But for some reason, with the Mich LXT, the tread needs to be done to 3/32nds before DTire can give credit for the original mileage rating. I didn't feel safe going that low with winter coming on.
As a whole, Michelins are definitely top notch tires but Pirelli, Conti & some others also make some outstanding tires that are definitely not "2nd rate".
For me giving the fact that I rarely keep a care beyond 40,000 miles, tire mileage is not a primary factor in my selection of tires. Living in the NW WA rainbelt, I'm after wet performance and comfort

·
Registered
145 Posts
Nokian tires are absolutely the best all weather and winter tires up north. I have been experienced for so many years, including Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 SUV (now R3 SUV), and Nokian WR G2 SUV (now WR G4 SUV). I have tried many premium winter and all weather tires including recently a full set of Michelin X-Ice and previously Good Year TrippleTred for my Rav4 V6 AWD. The Nokian tires outperform all.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Nokian tires are absolutely the best all weather and winter tires up north. I have been experienced for so many years, including Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 SUV (now R3 SUV), and Nokian WR G2 SUV (now WR G4 SUV). I have tried many premium winter and all weather tires including recently a full set of Michelin X-Ice and previously Good Year TrippleTred for my Rav4 V6 AWD. The Nokian tires outperform all.
Agree with that and 6500 km Awerage consumtion with EV is still 19,9 kWh/100 km. Wery smooth and silent driving. If you dont zero that EV meter, it will be the the holly driving average for only EV miles, so dont just zeroing it ever. 2,9 bar tires are R3 235/55-19. 91 km trip in HV mode and consumption was 5,5 L100 km which is same as my earlier hybrid model that same trip. Best trip So far with mine is in pure electic 91,8 km with R3. And thats better than Im going to get with summertires.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Anyone else already changed or planning to change out their OEM tires? Most vehicles typically come originally with what I would call as “second tier” tires. I typically when we get a new vehicle, drive it a couple of days to insure all is working as it should, then head over to my tire store and upgrade the tires over the OEM ones provided.

I am looking for better handling and better braking, and other improvements by going to premium tires. In the case of a RAV 4 hybrid and especially now the RAv4 Prime, another key is no significant lose in electrical range mileage.

I am pretty sure I have found my Prime’s replacement tires, the Michelin CrossClimate 2 A/S’s.

However if you have other tires I should consider, please let me know your recommendations.

Here’s why I am at this point going to get the Michelin C/C 2’s, noting that they are Michelin classified as an “Eco Focus: total performance energy saver” (their newer term replacing ‘GreenX’ on earlier version tires), a 3-peak mountain snowflake tire, and it having excellent wet and dry weather traction.”

a 3-peak

More than what Michelin says about them is here:

And a comparative test run by TireRack:

Pirelli P7 Cinturato Plus 2 vs Michelin Cross Climate 2 vs Bridgestone Turanza Quiet Track:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=261

Or are most going to stay with the tires your Prime came with until they need replacement? View attachment 158582
I replaced the tires on our 2013 Accord with Crossclimate 2 tires and am sure the are a better tire than the A/S Michelin tires they replaced, but mileage dropped by at least 2 MPG.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I have 989 miles on my new Crossclimate SUvs. I bought them purely for dry and wet performance and they exceeded my expectations. And they are dead quiet on the highway! On my tire test road :p, a downhill, decreasing radius, 180 degree highway on ramp, I could get my old front tires, Nitto CrossTeks, to squeal but for the life of me I can't get the CrossClimates to squeal....I don't want to tip over of course. AND, my steering is noticeably lighter.

They perform very, very well in wet and in slush, haven't had the opportunity to test in deep snow but I don't expect all weather rated tires to do well in deep snow. My gas mileage has not improved or suffered, but I did not buy them to improve mpg. Highly recommended!

Tom

·
Registered
91 Posts

Or are most going to stay with the tires your Prime came with until they need replacement?
I run summer wheels and winter wheels, winters I like Nokian Hakkapelitta's studded, it's not starting it's stopping, summers I like Michelin Premiers, put studded hakka's on my ecodiesel in 14, they're still used winters, unstoppable, my 19 rav4 hybrid got my wifes 4 year old studded hakkas for a winter, it got rear ended, but the tires are good, longevity and unstoppableabilty.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 · (Edited)
I agree that studded Hakka’s rock. We had them on our 2017 WRX and went everywhere we wanted when we wanted (up to about 12” depth). Freezing rain was no issue (other than some bozos in the next lane with summer tires on rear wheel drives.)

But as we have moved to a more moderate climate, we do not need studded Hakka’s now on our R4P; our CC 2’s are working well for where we now live — though on freezing rain we just hang out where we are...

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
You will be one happy camper. We have loved our CC2’s for four months now. It is a far safer vehicle, better handler, and as you know having its UTQG rating of more than twice the Avid GT’s that come with most is another super bonus.

21 - 40 of 71 Posts