Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Replacing RAV4 Prime’s Tires

21754 70
Anyone else already changed or planning to change out their OEM tires? Most vehicles typically come originally with what I would call as “second tier” tires. I typically when we get a new vehicle, drive it a couple of days to insure all is working as it should, then head over to my tire store and upgrade the tires over the OEM ones provided.

I am looking for better handling and better braking, and other improvements by going to premium tires. In the case of a RAV 4 hybrid and especially now the RAv4 Prime, another key is no significant lose in electrical range mileage.

I am pretty sure I have found my Prime’s replacement tires, the Michelin CrossClimate 2 A/S’s.

However if you have other tires I should consider, please let me know your recommendations.

Here’s why I am at this point going to get the Michelin C/C 2’s, noting that they are Michelin classified as an “Eco Focus: total performance energy saver” (their newer term replacing ‘GreenX’ on earlier version tires), a 3-peak mountain snowflake tire, and it having excellent wet and dry weather traction.”

a 3-peak

More than what Michelin says about them is here:

And a comparative test run by TireRack:

Pirelli P7 Cinturato Plus 2 vs Michelin Cross Climate 2 vs Bridgestone Turanza Quiet Track:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=261

Or are most going to stay with the tires your Prime came with until they need replacement?
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Synthetic rubber Auto part
61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
I just had the Cross Climate 2s installed on my XSE. I have to say I am very impressed. Immediately my car felt more planted and connected to the road and they’re virtually silent. My factory Michelin Primacys only had 3700 miles on them but they felt so squirelly on wet roads, never mind snow/ice. I was able to sell them in just a few hours for $250, so at least I got a little something for them and I am much happier with the CC2s. I just had no confidence in the OEM tires….and living in New England, driving with confidence in the winter is important.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I just had the Cross Climate 2s installed on my XSE. I have to say I am very impressed. Immediately my car felt more planted and connected to the road and they’re virtually silent. My factory Michelin Primacys only had 3700 miles on them but they felt so squirelly on wet roads, never mind snow/ice.
Was your hybrid XSE made in Canada? I noticed RAV4 from Canada comes with a set of Michelins. I run dedicated winter tires but Primacys are decent tires compared to Dunlops.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Was your hybrid XSE made in Canada? I noticed RAV4 from Canada comes with a set of Michelins. I run dedicated winter tires but Primacys are decent tires compared to Dunlops.
No, my XSE Hybrid was made in Kentucky in August 2021. I was initially excited when I saw they were coming with Michelins, but was really disappointed in the performance of the tires when I got the car.
The peace of mind and confidence I have with the CC2s was well worth the money to me.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
No, my XSE Hybrid was made in Kentucky in August 2021. I was initially excited when I saw they were coming with Michelins, but was really disappointed in the performance of the tires when I got the car.
The peace of mind and confidence I have with the CC2s was well worth the money to me.
CC2 is the best solution if you are set on one set of tires. It is a pain in the neck to replace wheelsets in April and November. CC2 in heavy rain is unbelievably good.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just had the Cross Climate 2s installed on my XSE. I have to say I am very impressed. Immediately my car felt more planted and connected to the road and they’re virtually silent. My factory Michelin Primacys only had 3700 miles on them but they felt so squirelly on wet roads, never mind snow/ice. I was able to sell them in just a few hours for $250, so at least I got a little something for them and I am much happier with the CC2s. I just had no confidence in the OEM tires….and living in New England, driving with confidence in the winter is important.
We just ordered an XSE and already I am pricing the CC2's. I've got 6 months to save up ;)I've had them on my Golf TDI for a year and I love the comfortable ride with sticky wet performance and really good dry performance. Plus, this winter I left the snow in the warehouse. These did a great job. But what really makes me love them is that I put a set on my company delivery van which is closer to the weight of the RAV4 and needs the XL rating with tire pressures of 46psi. Every set of these XL tires I put on thus far has felt rock hard and noisy. The continental OEM, Michelin Defender XL and BF Goodrich's. But these Michelin CC2's, even at 46 PSI feel quiet and comfortable even on the streets of NYC! The van feels nimble and new again but quieter than ever. So, try inflating them to the higher range for lower rolling resistance and a little crisper steering response and see what happens. I bet they are still comfortable and quiet. FYI, keep rotating every 5000 miles to keep the treads quiet.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2021 Prime SE with 18" wheels. I'd really to get tires that are a little bigger just to fill out the wheel wells a bit. How big can I go with 18's? I don't mind sacrificing a little MPG. Also I used to have Kevlar lined tires on my 2013 Tundra (which I trade in for the Prime). I can't seem to find Kevlar tires in this size. I drive on a 2 mile stretch of gravel and just like the idea of tougher tires. Suggestions? Thanks guys.

·
Registered
2020 XSE
228 Posts
I have a 2020 XSE non prime I just put some 245/55/18 on it going up from 225/60/18. I lost about 1.5mpg average probably due to sticker tire compound and wider tread. Also there is no spedo error with swapping to that size, any other will give error.

61 - 71 of 71 Posts