Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What size battery do I need?(is that even the right word?) The manual is silent on this matter and I need to replace my battery, literally as soon as the sun rises tomorrow. The battery indicator light came on, so i stopped at an AutoZone, the guy checked the battery, said it was dead and I needed a new one. Back inside he tried to charge me $200 for the battery. I said no thanks, and Tried to drive the 60 miles back home. I did not make it. Also, is there any way to disconnect and remove the battery with nothing but a pocket knife? lol I just moved and all of my tools are 70 miles away packed in a storage unit. Wanda is a 2005 2WD with about 60,000 miles and she assured me she will not make it the 3 miles to Walmart in the morning.

·
Registered
932 Posts
What size battery do I need?(is that even the right word?) The manual is silent on this matter and I need to replace my battery, literally as soon as the sun rises tomorrow. The battery indicator light came on, so i stopped at an AutoZone, the guy checked the battery, said it was dead and I needed a new one. Back inside he tried to charge me $200 for the battery. I said no thanks, and Tried to drive the 60 miles back home. I did not make it. Also, is there any way to disconnect and remove the battery with nothing but a pocket knife? lol I just moved and all of my tools are 70 miles away packed in a storage unit. Wanda is a 2005 2WD with about 60,000 miles and she assured me she will not make it the 3 miles to Walmart in the morning.

AutoCraft Gold Battery, Group Size 24, 700 CCA

Advance Auto Parts: Car, Engine, Batteries, Brakes, Replacement, Performance & Accessories

coupon code order online TRT30= 30 percent discount... comes to about 105.00 plus tax.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is 700 CCA a bit overkill? My winters don't get below 45F for the most part, and we haven't seen snow in a decade. Is there anywhere else I can go? Advance is 20 miles away, and on the mainland, I have no way to get there.

·
Super Moderator
10,133 Posts
Use the highest CCA that will fit. You generally pay by the warranty not the CCA.
That TRT30 at Advance Auto is about the best deal going. I've used it many times. I go to the same local store, pick it up from the same guy behind the counter, but get 30% off just because I ordered online 30 minutes in advance. TRT30 works on orders over $50 I believe.
Sounds like you need to get a ride and wrench. :wink

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ended up going to walmart, and buying the cheapest one they had. I'll replace it with a better one when this one dies, money is super tight right now (I live on a fixed income). Honestly I wouldn't have made it the 20 miles to the store anyway, I barely made it the 3 miles to Walmart after a jump this morning and the bridge to the mainland is the absolute worst place to break down.

I'm at the Toyota dealership now having the altinator replaced.

As for the wrench, my stupid self left my socket set in my storage unit, once I get my baby back my first stop is my storage unit to pick that up.

·
Super Moderator
10,133 Posts
I ended up going to walmart, and buying the cheapest one they had. I'll replace it with a better one when this one dies, money is super tight right now (I live on a fixed income).
I'm at the Toyota dealership now having the alternator replaced.
Of course you know the dealer is THE most expensive place to have an alternator replaced. Premium prices for both the part and labor. I bet the alternator itself cost a battery more than at AA or AZ.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm sure it did, but I didn't pay for it my grandmother did, and she insisted on me taking it to the dealer. I had already priced a new altinator and got a recommendation for a good mechanic

·
Registered
8,530 Posts
Is 700 CCA a bit overkill? My winters don't get below 45F for the most part, and we haven't seen snow in a decade. Is there anywhere else I can go? Advance is 20 miles away, and on the mainland, I have no way to get there.

Generally speaking, the more CCAs a battery has the more that it weighs since it has more plates and could marginally affect gas mileage, and costs more than necessary. You didn't complete your profile so where you live is unknown, but if your winter temperatures don't go below 45F and you haven't even had snow for some time your climate is like ours in coastal Oregon. A battery in the 550 CCA range is just fine. Mine tests at about 500 CCAs after 7 years and still spins the engine right over for starting. Here, one could get a store-branded (BiMart) Exide 550+ CCA battery with a three year free replacement and seven year prorated warranty, size 24F, for about $80.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Generally speaking, the more CCAs a battery has the more that it weighs since it has more plates and could marginally affect gas mileage, and costs more than necessary. You didn't complete your profile so where you live is unknown, but if your winter temperatures don't go below 45F and you haven't even had snow for some time your climate is like ours in coastal Oregon. A battery in the 550 CCA range is just fine. Mine tests at about 500 CCAs after 7 years and still spins the engine right over for starting. Here, one could get a store-branded (BiMart) Exide 550+ CCA battery with a three year free replacement and seven year prorated warranty, size 24F, for about $80.

I swear I did my profile when I joined lol. USA on the Gulf Coast so we're still in the 90s temperature wise right now. The battery walmart put I was a 35 series I think. That's what their book said. I'm helping my dad put the wrong battery in

·
Super Moderator
10,133 Posts
I swear I did my profile when I joined lol.
Yeah one of my peeves about this forum. What comes up w/o searching is your signature as in mine below.

·
Registered
8,530 Posts
I swear I did my profile when I joined lol. USA on the Gulf Coast so we're still in the 90s temperature wise right now. The battery walmart put I was a 35 series I think. That's what their book said. I'm helping my dad put the wrong battery in

Perhaps you did your profile and for some reason I can't see it. On the Gulf Coast with the sort of temperatures which exist there you certainly don't need a 700 CCA battery, in fact the additional battery plates will reduce the electrolyte capacity and that will contribute to earlier battery failure than would having a battery with a lower CCA capacity. Some battery makers actually make batteries for southern USA climates which are different from those made for colder areas, and those southern batteries do have lower CCAs and hence room for more electrolyte.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts