Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Main headlight bulb went out so I bought a 9006 Sylvania replacement. I can get the original bulb screwed in properly within 10 seconds, but despite struggling with it for an hour I cannot get the replacement (also a 9006 Sylvania but 10 years newer) in properly. It seats but it feels like it's not flush and the bulb is angled a bit and doesn't look like it's in as far as it should be even though it isn't shaking or anything. I've about killed my thumb messing with this thing but it just doesn't seem to want to seat so that it's 'straight on.' Anyone else experienced this? Guess I'll have to take it to a dealer.

EDIT: Just noticed that the old bulb was a 9006 HB4 U and there is a recess around the plastic piece that goes around the bulb, whereas the new bulb is solid and doesn't have the recess. Wondering if that's why it won't screw in properly.

·
Super Moderator
9,551 Posts
I think you just answered your own question. Different bulb = different fit?

·
Registered
13 Posts
This is ridiculous, bought replacements from my local shop, don't fit. Came across this thread and now im scared to order any online in case they're the wrong ones!!

·
Registered
8,187 Posts
Have had the same experience with motorcycle halogen bulbs. The only thing that works is to take the original in to a parts store and compare it with potential replacements to make certain that one selects a bulb with is exactly the same.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,529 Posts
This is ridiculous, bought replacements from my local shop, don't fit. Came across this thread and now im scared to order any online in case they're the wrong ones!!
I replaced mine with Sylvania Xtravision 9006 from Wal-Mart. Perfect fit. Also, the bulb base itself is marked 9006 HB4 U, but the package only has the 9006.

·
Registered
13 Posts
i forgot one detail, i just replaced the headlight assembly and now the highbeam bulb won't fit, low beam i was able to struggle and get it to go....

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm having the same problem. My Napa store doesn't believe me. The replacement bulb won't go in because the shape of the plastic lock on the seat of the bulb is slightly different.

On Toyota parts website, I see there are two bulbs for my 2008. One of them has a different shape "locking mechanism" than the other (zoom in on the picture). I'm guessing the "U" in the part no. is what differentiates?

https://parts.toyota.com/p/Toyota_2008_RAV4-Sport-24L-L4-4WD-AT/BULB/62982539/9098113046.html

·
Registered
1 Posts
Main headlight bulb went out so I bought a 9006 Sylvania replacement. I can get the original bulb screwed in properly within 10 seconds, but despite struggling with it for an hour I cannot get the replacement (also a 9006 Sylvania but 10 years newer) in properly. It seats but it feels like it's not flush and the bulb is angled a bit and doesn't look like it's in as far as it should be even though it isn't shaking or anything. I've about killed my thumb messing with this thing but it just doesn't seem to want to seat so that it's 'straight on.' Anyone else experienced this? Guess I'll have to take it to a dealer.

EDIT: Just noticed that the old bulb was a 9006 HB4 U and there is a recess around the plastic piece that goes around the bulb, whereas the new bulb is solid and doesn't have the recess. Wondering if that's why it won't screw in properly.
I am having the same exact issue. I went to Pep Boys and bought the 9006 (the amateurs at Pep Boys didn't know any better). When I took out the original bulb and went to snap in the 9006 it wouldn't go in. I then looked on the inside of the base unit and i noticed the original piece has 2 prongs inside the base where it snaps in. The 9006 only has 1 and it's placed in the middle. The middle slit on the 9006 bulb would come in between the 2 prongs on the old bulb. So it's not the right part. Any help would be great.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
I am having the same exact issue. I went to Pep Boys and bought the 9006 (the amateurs at Pep Boys didn't know any better). When I took out the original bulb and went to snap in the 9006 it wouldn't go in. I then looked on the inside of the base unit and i noticed the original piece has 2 prongs inside the base where it snaps in. The 9006 only has 1 and it's placed in the middle. The middle slit on the 9006 bulb would come in between the 2 prongs on the old bulb. So it's not the right part. Any help would be great.
Are you sure you are changing the correct side? Does the old bulb say 9006?

·
Registered
154 Posts
I think you will have to modify the 9012 to fit the 4.3 RAV4 socket which is a 9006.

The 9012s in my C-HR were weak as fark (n)(n)(n). I have LasFit 9012 LS LED bulbs in it now and it is a major improvement (it is a projector lens)(y)(y)(y). The DRL in the C-HR are LED, Toyota went cheap and installed a low-end Osram halogen 9012 bulb in there:devilish:.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
I think you will have to modify the 9012 to fit the 4.3 RAV4 socket which is a 9006.

The 9012s in my C-HR were weak as fark (n)(n)(n). I have LasFit 9012 LS LED bulbs in it now and it is a major improvement (it is a projector lens)(y)(y)(y). The DRL in the C-HR are LED, Toyota went cheap and installed a low-end Osram halogen 9012 bulb in there:devilish:.
Stubirds is not doing a 9012 conversion. It is just a straight 9006 replacement with a 9006 bulb.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hi guys
Read all thread from post 1 and not understand- 9006 bulbs can not fit because Rav has special 9006 U socket?
Also wondering where can I order online some nice performance halogen bulbs?
Don't believe in Chinese LED even if it's cost $150 on Amazon, sure you can find same one on aliexpress for $15-20.
I like original Phillips LED but they pricey and only for H4, H7 and H11
Found halogen Phillips Race Vision +150% really cheap at Canadian Amazon $35 a pair with free shipping, excellent bulbs, use them over a year on CR-V, ordered from Greece through Ebay. But again, they no 9006 socket...
Which bulbs are brighter, have good price and will fit 2008 Rav4 9006 socket? Also I would change 9005 as well with some blue coated bulbs for daytime running lights. Or just go with cheap LED? never use high beam, they only like running lights

·
Registered
172 Posts
All this thread is because in RAV4 there are 9006 (low beam) and 9005 (high beam) bulbs. People get confused easily...
Here is the "plastic that doesn't fit":

·
Registered
92 Posts
After researching a bit online for performance bulbs found this shop on Ebay in Germany who sells lots Phillips/Osram bulbs and lots more different electric stuff. Don't really want ask him silly question if bulbs are genuine, original because this shop getting over 2000 positive feedbacks per month with 99.9% rating.
Price pretty cheap for best halogen bulbs, about same as regular standard bulbs in local Canadian Tire.
For running/high beam light order blue coated bulbs
Hope get them soon and will post pictures after done installation

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,551 Posts
I hope the blue super halogens work for you. A couple of brands I tried didn't even match the stock halogens in my F-250. Very disappointing. IMO if they don't take more power than the legal 55W they can't be more than slightly brighter. There is no magic. This site compares several of the supposed best which are marginally (30%) brighter: BulbFacts | Halogen Bulb Chart - Comparing Halogen Bulbs in Reflector Headlights

The real magic is in LED replacements where even the least expensive are over twice as bright (150+%):

I used Allas in my F-250 and they are WONDERFUL. I didn't really need to but since I like to quantify everything I used a LUX meter on my phone to confirm the astonishing improvement.

Just today I received new inexpensive H1 & H7 LEDs for my RAV4 and will be doing the same tests on them when it's again warm enough to go outside at night.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
After researching a bit online for performance bulbs found this shop on Ebay in Germany who sells lots Phillips/Osram bulbs and lots more different electric stuff. Don't really want ask him silly question if bulbs are genuine, original because this shop getting over 2000 positive feedbacks per month with 99.9% rating.
Price pretty cheap for best halogen bulbs, about same as regular standard bulbs in local Canadian Tire.
For running/high beam light order blue coated bulbs
Hope get them soon and will post pictures after done installation
You should go with the 9012 conversion. The 9012 is not plug and play but there are many video on Youtube showing you how to trim the plastic tab. The difference between 9006 and the 9012 bulbs is the tab. So if a small piece of plastic is trimmed off the bulb will fit perfectly. It is very easy to mod. They are cost effective and they are 50% brighter than the stock halogen. I recommend the Philips Long Life 9012 and I am quite happy with these. As for blue halogen they are horrible and give less light.

Just note 9012 bulbs are not a common bulb and most store will not carry this. Online retailers are the best place to get it such as on Ebay or Amazon. Here is one that is cheap.

·
Registered
172 Posts

1 - 20 of 58 Posts