Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
I hope the blue super halogens work for you
Not need hope. Osram Night Breaker Laser Next Gen is brightest halogen on market for now which proof many tests.

A couple of brands I tried didn't even match the stock halogens in my F-250. Very disappointing
Osram (Sylvania in North America), Philips, General Electronics and probably Hella and PIAA. Everything else cheap noname made in basement junk (for their price)

IMO if they don't take more power than the legal 55W they can't be more than slightly brighter. There is no magic. This site compares several of the supposed best which are marginally (30%) brighter: BulbFacts | Halogen Bulb Chart - Comparing Halogen Bulbs in Reflector Headlights
Thinner wire in bulb - brighter shine - shorter life. No magic.
Most on site is true, but with Night Breakers not agree. It's legendary bulbs in Europe and every generation slight better than previous. +100, +110, +130, +150, +150 gen 2

The real magic is in LED replacements where even the least expensive are over twice as bright (150+%):

I used Allas in my F-250 and they are WONDERFUL. I didn't really need to but since I like to quantify everything I used a LUX meter on my phone to confirm the astonishing improvement.
LED is new technology and it is future in car headlight. But I accept it only if it factory LED. It's may be used if you have newer car with lens headlight, put nice quality bulbs and adjust headlight if necessary to be sure not blind oncoming traffic. Usually this did less than 1% drivers. In Russia if you put chinese no-name LED bulb in reflector headlight - you will be stopped in evening time any police vehicle and loose drive license immediately for 6 months. Totally agree.

Just today I received new inexpensive H1 & H7 LEDs for my RAV4 and will be doing the same tests on them when it's again warm enough to go outside at night.
Are you have newer Rav? Or aftermarket headlight? H1 and H7?
Please put Rav 25 ft against wall and make picture of beam pattern
After compare how it's should be
0zx88gck.jpg ece.jpg

You should go with the 9012 conversion. The 9012 is not plug and play but there are many video on Youtube showing you how to trim the plastic tab. The difference between 9006 and the 9012 bulbs is the tab. So if a small piece of plastic is trimmed off the bulb will fit perfectly. It is very easy to mod. They are cost effective and they are 50% brighter than the stock halogen. I recommend the Philips Long Life 9012 and I am quite happy with these. As for blue halogen they are horrible and give less light.

Just note 9012 bulbs are not a common bulb and most store will not carry this. Online retailers are the best place to get it such as on Ebay or Amazon. Here is one that is cheap.
Interesting. 08 Rav4 with 9012 A bit problem with 9012 they don't have a grey coating on glass end of bulb so they will blind a bit traffic. But really who care, I blinked high beam for oncoming on road last generation civics and previous gen corollas with blueish headlight when they start be more popular on road, thought that guys drive with high beam.
Need try, Thanks

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
You should go with the 9012 conversion.

Just note 9012 bulbs are not a common bulb and most store will not carry this. Online retailers are the best place to get it such as on Ebay or Amazon. Here is one that is cheap.
According to your listing they're still just 55W bulbs and IMO can't be much brighter than stock halogens.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Brightness comparison between stock 9006 vs 9012 bulbs
9006 Bulbs - 1000 lumens - 3100k (1500 hrs - LL)
9012 Bulbs - 1850 lumens - 3000k (
According to your listing they're still just 55W bulbs and IMO can't be much brighter than stock halogens.
They are 50% brighter and I can tell the difference. I think these bulbs are design more efficient which does not require more wattage for more light output. Not only that they are halogen bulbs design to give a proper beam pattern.

·
Registered
164 Posts
LED is new technology and it is future in car headlight. But I accept it only if it factory LED. It's may be used if you have newer car with lens headlight, put nice quality bulbs and adjust headlight if necessary to be sure not blind oncoming traffic. Usually this did less than 1% drivers.
View attachment 150190 View attachment 150191
Totally disagree. Using quality, properly designed LED headlight bulbs and installed properly, they will replicate the original light pattern shown.

In the near future, you will be seeing a vast improvement in headlight LED lumens output. The next gen of LEDs is just ramping up production, 30% less power, up to 40% more lumens output. I expect to start seeing them in headlights and bulbs by the end of the year. I've already found them being used on a T10 bulb. 3 LEDs verses 12 LEDs, with more lumens output.

Every car I've converted (100 +) to LED has exhibited their original light pattern, when using the proper LED bulb designed for the type of housing it's being used in.

My 2012 Fiat 500 went thru three different style LED bulbs before I found one that matched the original light pattern, while being much brighter and whiter then stock halogen bulbs can ever be.

More then several conversions needed to have the headlight assembly replaced due to fogged lens. If the housing lens is not crystal clear, then LEDs will only make it worse. A fogged lens will make a low beam look like a blinding high beam as that car gets closer to you.

Have a good day.

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
Not need hope. Osram Night Breaker Laser Next Gen is brightest halogen on market for now which proof many tests.

Thinner wire in bulb - brighter shine - shorter life. No magic.
Most on site is true, but with Night Breakers not agree. It's legendary bulbs in Europe and every generation slight better than previous. +100, +110, +130, +150, +150 gen 2

LED is new technology and it is future in car headlight. In Russia if you put Chinese no-name LED bulb in reflector headlight - you will be stopped in evening time any police vehicle and lose drive license immediately for 6 months. Totally agree.

Are you have newer Rav? Or aftermarket headlight? H1 and H7?
Please put Rav 25 ft against wall and make picture of beam pattern
After compare how it's should be
View attachment 150190 View attachment 150191
Not gonna argue with you but w/o seeing light output measurements such as I referenced +100 to +150 isn't believable UNLESS they are the 55W/100W bulbs some eBay sellers are listing. 100W on high beam would be significantly brighter.

Good thing I'm not planning on ever driving my F-250 with Alla LEDs in Russia!

I did have an experience in Canada when a friend & I drove the Alcan Highway from Idaho to Alaska & back a few years ago. Since we were driving straight thru I added a set of driving lights for the open deserted sections where it was nearly an hour between seeing any other traffic. At one fuel stop someone told us driving lights were illegal in one of the provinces we were headed to but if they were covered we wouldn't be ticketed. Fortunately we had the covers and put them on until we really needed the light in the middle of nowhere. With my LEDs there'd be no need for driving lights.

On your beam diagrams I think I know what DOT means (US specs) but what's "ECE?"

My RAV4 is a 2006 that I've converted to halo projector headlights. Beam pattern and LUX measurements coming.

·
Registered
99 Posts
ECE it's European standard of headlights beam pattern
No idea why but on BIAOG guys said ECE pattern is better. And in Soviet union countries strongly recommend for imported from NA vehicles replace whole headlights because you won't see road signs and overall NA headlights perform worse
I didn't test them both so can't proof

·
Registered
99 Posts
On YouTube you can find channel Test Lab. Russian speaking man Andrey Finashin test everything - halogens, LEDs, aftermarket lenses for reflector type headlight.
If I'll have time I'll post here links direct on his videos about night breakers.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Dr. Dyno, I posted link few posts earlier about comparison 9012 and 9006 on 2008 Rav4.
Special for you copy and paste again
If you can't see difference itself (9012 still 55w) and keep posting what only 100w better that 55w and all 55w the same - only way is go to eye doctor and ask prescription for glasses

·
Registered
99 Posts
Totally disagree. Using quality, properly designed LED headlight bulbs and installed properly, they will replicate the original light pattern shown.

In the near future, you will be seeing a vast improvement in headlight LED lumens output. The next gen of LEDs is just ramping up production, 30% less power, up to 40% more lumens output. I expect to start seeing them in headlights and bulbs by the end of the year. I've already found them being used on a T10 bulb. 3 LEDs verses 12 LEDs, with more lumens output.

Every car I've converted (100 +) to LED has exhibited their original light pattern, when using the proper LED bulb designed for the type of housing it's being used in.

My 2012 Fiat 500 went thru three different style LED bulbs before I found one that matched the original light pattern, while being much brighter and whiter then stock halogen bulbs can ever be.

More then several conversions needed to have the headlight assembly replaced due to fogged lens. If the housing lens is not crystal clear, then LEDs will only make it worse. A fogged lens will make a low beam look like a blinding high beam as that car gets closer to you.

Have a good day.
Sure, and I just come back from Mars.
Okay, you can put 100 LED kits. So which one good for reflector Rav4? Few examples of beam pattern in night time against wall?
Are you offering me order from Amazon 5-10 $100 (quality, properly designed) kits and cross finger one of them will have acceptable beam pattern in my Rav?
In my opinion only Philips have not bad LEDs. Only Philips have their bright chips - lumileds zes. All other guys just trying copy them and use Phillips chips. COB and CSP chips they are worse.
But even Philips LEDs are not DOT certified. I searched yesterday, their LED for headlight not for sale on official website in US. But on Canadian Philips web site they are present.
Most new headlight now is lens and that LED bulbs designed for lens type headlight

·
Registered
164 Posts
Sure, and I just come back from Mars.
Okay, you can put 100 LED kits. So which one good for reflector Rav4? Few examples of beam pattern in night time against wall?
Are you offering me order from Amazon 5-10 $100 (quality, properly designed) kits and cross finger one of them will have acceptable beam pattern in my Rav?
In my opinion only Philips have not bad LEDs. Only Philips have their bright chips - lumileds zes. All other guys just trying copy them and use Phillips chips. COB and CSP chips they are worse.
But even Philips LEDs are not DOT certified. I searched yesterday, their LED for headlight not for sale on official website in US. But on Canadian Philips web site they are present.
Most new headlight now is lens and that LED bulbs designed for lens type headlight
I'll stick with my original statement. I deal with real world results, getting personal feedback from the people who drive their cars after a proper LED upgrade. Never had any of them having issues with blinding oncoming traffic.

Have a good day.

Reactions: SoNic67

·
Registered
99 Posts
Here is one that is cheap.
This made in Germany/Poland bulbs actually ship from China...
Are you sure they are original?
For example Osram bulbs I ordered from Germany for 25-30 canadian - same from China 50+
I searching for 9012 HIR on Ebay right now and they about $40-50 usd for a pair

Ps. They are on Rockauto!
6 different bulbs with price range $7-25 cad.
Long life usually have reduced brightness but in this situation probably just marketing name because they really last longer.
Weird what perfomance Philips Crystal vision cheaper than standard Philips, I be worry they made in basement somewhere in China...

·
Registered
99 Posts
If this is original rav4 headlamp with center cap on low beam bulb so should be no problem with blinding oncoming traffic

·
Registered
444 Posts
I have posted my LED pattern in my thread about that replacement. It's a 2011, so cutout, even with the bulbs wasn't that precise to start, but it is.
The LEDs that I choose mimic the actual bulb filament location and size.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
This made in Germany/Poland bulbs actually ship from China...
Are you sure they are original?
For example Osram bulbs I ordered from Germany for 25-30 canadian - same from China 50+
I searching for 9012 HIR on Ebay right now and they about $40-50 usd for a pair

Ps. They are on Rockauto!
6 different bulbs with price range $7-25 cad.
Long life usually have reduced brightness but in this situation probably just marketing name because they really last longer.
Weird what perfomance Philips Crystal vision cheaper than standard Philips, I be worry they made in basement somewhere in China...
I don't know if they are real or fake. With my fog light I did a conversion from H11 to H9 and bought some Ebay Philips H9 for $6.64 US each. Those ones were bought in June 2016 and are still working. Those fog lights are rated 65 watts and are brighter than the 9012 Phlips LL ($25 US=$34 CAD for 2 bulbs) I got from EBay (US seller) in Mar 2016. So take your chances like I did or buy the expensive price. The 9012 from Ebay were bright and are still working as of today with no problems.

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
Dr. Dyno, I posted link few posts earlier about comparison 9012 and 9006 on 2008 Rav4.
Special for you copy and paste again

If you can't see difference itself (9012 still 55w) and keep posting what only 100w better that 55w and all 55w the same - only way is go to eye doctor and ask prescription for glasses
Once I saw the difference with Alla LEDs on my F-250 I lost all interest in ANY halogens 90?? of any wattage or supposed brightness. Besides their yellowish color just looks old when any new car (or the Harleys I work on) has white LEDs. In fact my first experience with LEDs was with my '18 Accord that came with LED DRLs and low beams but halogen high beams. Unacceptable just from the color difference. Didn't need more brightness but the Allas fixed the color.

Since I can see the brightness difference between halogens and LEDs thru my eyelids with them closed glasses aren't needed. I'll spend that money on more LEDs!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Really there are only three styles of LED bulbs.

Round, which seems to work better in bowl type directional reflectors, high beam, supplemental lighting and such.

Three sided, which seem to work best with projector lens, and newer cars (2015 + ), low beam & high beam, depending on vehicle's lighting setup.

Two sided, which do best with refracted type reflectors (Flat surfaces focusing the light.). Combo, independent low and high beams, and fogs.

After that it's just choosing color (3700K to 7000K) and power output for the vehicle.

Because my Fiat has bowl type reflectors, I first went with a round pattern LED blub, but the light pattern was off due to the LED bulb being longer then stock. Having a set of three sided waiting for a customer, I tried them, but again, unable to get a good cut-off on low beam. Finally, I put a set of JDM LEDs combo high/low in and the light pattern is now perfect. I always stick with 6000K for color, pure white.

JFWIW, anyone who is convinced that halogen bulbs can outperform LEDs in the real world really needs to see an eye doctor. It funny, there's replacement LED assemblies that look and function exactly like the round and square headlights used from the 50's up to the late 80's, but they throw a whiter, cleaner pattern. Must be a reason huh?

Fact: ALL halogen bulb lumens fade over time. Sorry, you can't tell lumens output just by looking at it shining on a wall. It's the nature of the beast and there is really nothing that more that can be done to them to give the same consistent output and life of LEDs. You can only get more light out of halogen by adding more power and a finer filament, which equals a much shorter life.

I've researched LEDs to death, for over the last five years since they've become more main stream. Bunch of failures in the beginning. Dead LEDs, off patterns, color, you name it.

Now, I mainly use Carid.com for LED bulb reference and some purchases. Prices are high, but researching most of their products, they usually have a few bulbs using the newest LEDs and form designs. I've also had great success with JDM LED bulbs. Great support and turn around when I had a bulb issue.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I don't know if they are real or fake. With my fog light I did a conversion from H11 to H9 and bought some Ebay Philips H9 for $6.64 US each. Those ones were bought in June 2016 and are still working. Those fog lights are rated 65 watts and are brighter than the 9012 Phlips LL ($25 US=$34 CAD for 2 bulbs) I got from EBay (US seller) in Mar 2016. So take your chances like I did or buy the expensive price. The 9012 from Ebay were bright and are still working as of today with no problems.
Thanks but in modern world I'll like to order from proofed stores, like Rockauto for example. Hella or GE 9012 bulbs not expensive there. And I'm not rush, this lightweight bulbs can get with free shipping if order other parts.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Just saw a "How not to do an LED upgrade!" car. Couldn't resist taking a picture. Guy was texting, never saw me stopping in front to his car and taking a picture this morning.

Let's see what not to do:

Looking at the driver's side, still has a halogen bulb in a heavily aged housing. At night, that light is blinding everyone coming at him.

Passenger's side is LED and at least clear, but just by looking at it, it's not the right bulb for that housing. It's hard to tell with the photo, but the bulb is the only part really shining. You should not be able to actually see the physical bulb when it is on. If you can see the bulb when on, then the light is not being properly refracted. The whole back should be shining, not just the bulb. Most likely also blinding at night.

Yes, love that LED light bar. Where I live, if it's observed on at any time, you'll get a ticket, even if it's tied to just your high beams. End of story. Off road use only.

Seeing updates done like this is what gives LED upgrades a bad name. BTW, I've upgraded this same model Legacy with great success to LED, using new housings due to age.

Have a good day.

Reactions: SoNic67

·
Registered
99 Posts
Once I saw the difference with Alla LEDs on my F-250 I lost all interest in ANY halogens 90?? of any wattage or supposed brightness. Besides their yellowish color just looks old when any new car (or the Harleys I work on) has white LEDs. In fact my first experience with LEDs was with my '18 Accord that came with LED DRLs and low beams but halogen high beams. Unacceptable just from the color difference. Didn't need more brightness but the Allas fixed the color.

Since I can see the brightness difference between halogens and LEDs thru my eyelids with them closed glasses aren't needed. I'll spend that money on more LEDs!
Factory installed LED looks cool with lens headlight, but cheap flickering blueish $10 LED (yes, he bought them for $150 at local store so think they are cool) in reflector headlights usually can meet at high-schools students who drive Civics or guys on lifted pick-up trucks, most time it's straight-pipe Dodges :D

·
Registered
164 Posts
Factory installed LED looks cool with lens headlight, but cheap flickering blueish $10 LED (yes, he bought them for $150 at local store so think they are cool) in reflector headlights usually can meet at high-schools students who drive Civics or guys on lifted pick-up trucks, most time it's straight-pipe Dodges :D
Did you say you were from Mars? I believe it. This is one of the most absurd generalizations I heard in a long time. Getting difficult to believe anything you're spouting. I was interested at first, but it seems you're getting more and more out into left field.

Have a good day.

21 - 40 of 65 Posts