Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone replaced one before? I tried to loosen the nuts with a 10mm 6 point socket but all it did was round off the nuts.Are you suppose to remove the stud?? I have never seen a nut round off so easily. TIA

·
Registered
432 Posts
I've found toyota factory nuts and bolts break very easily. :evil: try using a nut splitter to break the nuts off and use a thread guage to find the correct replacement. If you can fit that thing in there, I don't know for sure. Otherwise some vice grips might work in order to get them off. Maybe even a dremel tool.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Actually in the 2001+ Ravs there are two air/fuel sensors upstream of the cat and two oxygen sensors downstream of the cat. It's built into the header in front of the engine, and it's actually a dual cat (side by side) covered with a heat shield.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's what I was starting to believe. The cat is built into the exhaust manifold then. has anyone replaced the exhaust manifold? Is it a DYI operation?

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tman6366 said:
That's what I was starting to believe. The cat is built into the exhaust manifold then. has anyone replaced the exhaust manifold? Is it a DYI operation?
DYI? Do Yourself In? :shock:
Todd

·
Registered
986 Posts
Yes and no. If you have done this sort of work before and you have the service manuals and proper tools, than yes. If you have never done this sort of work before, or don't have the manuals and tools, then you should leave it to a professional.

The sensors tend to sieze up in the cat, so they can't be removed easily. However since you would be replacing the sensors also you don't have to worry about it. The bolts also tend to rust and sieze up so you need a good breaker bar and a can of PB Blaster. You also need a new set of gaskets, because they all need to be replaced when you replace the cat/manifold. As for tools, you will need a good metric socket set with extensions and a torque wrench. You will need a service manual to tell you the proper procedures and associated torque values.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LOL.... yea.. something like that.. Meant DIY

tpginboston said:
Tman6366 said:
DYI? Do Yourself In? :shock:
Todd

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jeff where did you find the exhaust manifold. I have called several auto parts shops and looked online and I can not find a catalitic converter or exhuast manifold for my 2001 Rav4 with 150,000 miles and counting. I have an account on Alldata and it shows the catalytic converter to be part of the exhaust manifold with OEM part # 2505128260 yet no one has this part available.

Thanks Jeff

T

Jeff said:
Yes and no. If you have done this sort of work before and you have the service manuals and proper tools, than yes. If you have never done this sort of work before, or don't have the manuals and tools, then you should leave it to a professional.

The sensors tend to sieze up in the cat, so they can't be removed easily. However since you would be replacing the sensors also you don't have to worry about it. The bolts also tend to rust and sieze up so you need a good breaker bar and a can of PB Blaster. You also need a new set of gaskets, because they all need to be replaced when you replace the cat/manifold. As for tools, you will need a good metric socket set with extensions and a torque wrench. You will need a service manual to tell you the proper procedures and associated torque values.

·
Registered
986 Posts
When mine went bad I had everything (cat+sensors) replaced by the dealer under warranty. It was a very expensive repair that I would have done myself had the warranty been expired. The cat is very proprietary for the Rav so you will not find it in auto parts stores and will have to get it from a Toyota dealer for $500 or so. However you can also order it online from a Toyota dealer (such as www.toyotapartsales.com) and get a decent discount. I've heard nothing but good things about this parts dealer so I would try them out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts