Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'm coming from a custom built system in my last vehicle and audio/video is my career, I'm a commercial multimedia director out in Dallas, and brought several of my own reference materials to the car for testing. Audio and video are basically my life (though much more on the home theater side). The system sound is fine for most people, i fully recognize that, but I feel it very much lacks what I want though, and it has nothing to do with the source. The 3 slider EQ is extremely problematic as well, boosting the treble even one notch causes an upper level clipping to occur, if you listen to a lot of classical or soundtracks it completely kills it (exaggerating, but its a subtle details that is lost). Lowering it has an extreme steep drop off that goes from overly bright to suddenly too thin and no bite at all, no middle ground. Upping the mid section instantly muddles the sound, some people might like it but its too pronounced and has almost a sharpening effect to it.

Everything I am talking about is subtle, but I notice it immediately walking out of my office setup in getting into the car. I'm super picky, its not a fault with the system or car, its rather I have a higher expectation for it than what it can achieve in its current state. But I'm going to fix it and make it perfect!

Absolutely agree with you.. I'm coming from a $6,000+ custom system on my last vehicle.. And the JBL is noticeably crappy compared to it. The mids, highs, mid bass, bass all are lacking. It's missing the "wow" factor.. I'm sure there's plenty of people who are satisfied with it, but when you've heard something far superior, there's just no comparison. I'm just replacing the stock sub and adding an amp for it with converter for now... Once there's some good head unit options, I'm gonna replace everything.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Have you tried turning off the Automatic Sound Levelizer feature? It's supposed to be based on speed, but worth a check.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
Have a 2017 RAV4 and generally happy with the sound. It's not like listening to my Polk speakers in my living room ;) My biggest complaint about Entune is the complete lack of real support for the software and/or firmware. Entune has received a few OTA updates but when I look at the update history, the dates never change.

The most glaring issue is after about every 3-5 engine cycles, it forgets that the USB flash drive is set to random mode and plays the 1st song stored on the flash drive. I have tried numerous different ways of storing the music on the flash drive, different MP3 ID tags, etc. Created individual directories with 255 or less songs didn't solve the problem. I have just over 1,000 songs in the "root" directory and the symptoms are the same. Every few engine cycles, it forgets.

To get around this, I use the push to talk and request a specific song then it seems to remember the random mode was set. Noticed Entune forgetting the random mode setting when I would raise and lower the rear door and even opening the fuel door seem to cause the problem. Have a little over a year left on the lease and if Toyota cannot fix this problem during my next service trip to the dealership, this will be our last RAV4 and most likely, our last Toyota.

Before getting the 2017, we had a 2014 and it wouldn't remember the USB was set to random every time the vehicle was turned on. Had to manually set the random mode every time we started it. After numerous trips to the dealer and numerous complaints to Toyota both proved fruitless.

So in another thread we began talking about replacing the audio system in these new RAV4's during a great thread about sound dampening (found here: https://www.rav4world.com/threads/the-sound-deadening-project.297973/ ). Curious if anyone has any experience with the premium system.

Specifically I find the system just sounds muddy in the mids and the high notes are sloppy and tinny. I think its a driver issue, but worry also it could be a software issue (either in the amp or head-unit) trying to compress the sound to make it more contrasty/sharp for the general audience who doesn't care about audio quality.

So things to talk about:

1. How hard will it be to find new speakers for this system given JBL seems to have put a lot of custom touches on it.
2. Anyone changed out speakers or amps on this system yet?
3. Anyone figured out where all 11 speakers are? So far I've counted 8...
4. Anyone know the gauge and quality of the speaker wiring run in the car? Is any slack left at the speakers?

·
Registered
2018 RAV4 Hybrid Limited
134 Posts
Not sure of the differences between the 2016-2018 (4.4) and 2019 (4.5) "JBL Premium Sound System", but if it's basically the same then people who are unhappy with the deliberate "front row at the concert" sound stage that Toyota apparently wanted to achieve, (meaning "all the sound seems to come from the front dash/door speakers") might want to check this thread: JBL Premium Audio Fix, over in the 4.4 - Interior forum.

I'm one who followed the advice found there, and while I can't say I'm hearing "Wow!", I'm happier now than before swapping out the dash speakers in my 2018 Limited. ?

[EDIT: Oh yeah, and the previous poster is correct. The 11-speaker total comes from counting the "2-in1" dash and rear door speakers as (2) each, for a total of (8), plus the (2) in the front doors, and (1) sub-woofer.]

Reactions: TXninja

·
Registered
1 Posts
Couldn't Agree more with the premise of this post. Coming from a Bose sound system to this JBL "premium" sound was very disappointing. It certainly sounds LOUD, but it lacks the "ump" "wow" "vibrant" factor (even began to look for AMPS).

After reading this tread, and definitely having the sound degrading issue "after 5 seconds", I did lower de EQ settings from the AUDIO MENU to a FLAT setting, and it actually sounds Better (not WOW factor yet but close) so I believe it those makes some High Pitch Processing of the sound, and that is why its sounds so DULL and the volume goes up and down continuously by itself (AGAIN IM NO AUDIO EXPERT) but is my experience. LOOKING FORWARD TO YOU'ALL FEEDBACK.

·
Registered
858 Posts
I have the sound leveler off and the treble a bit lower than center and bass a bit higher. It sounds pretty good - but I am no audiophile and even I know there is much better out there.

Having said that, the JBL is MSRP 1600.00 more than the basic, and I shopped both with and without and paid just over 1200.00 for my JBL system. Your comparing it to a $6000.00 custom system and a Hyundai Genesis that costs double what I paid for my Rav? Not really fare don't you think?

For $1200.00 I am pretty happy I bought it. Its plenty good enough for me. If custom audio is your thing, then go for it.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I’m just glad I don’t really care how great the sound system is in a Rav4. The acoustics are crap and my hearing is bad so as long as I can clearly hear the music coming from my flash drive, I’m happy.:cool:

·
Registered
459 Posts
I couldn't disagree more. After minor tweaks of the EQ, I find the JBL system to be outstanding, and crystal clear. This is playing CD quality FLAC files and also HD FM. If I crank it up it just gets better.
If you're playing compressed files or BT streams, your issue is more likely in the source.
I also couldn't disagree more. What sounded outstanding on my former Infiniti Bose system sounds like garbage now, no matter the EQ settings.

By the way, does JBL only claim fidelity on specific file formats?

·
Registered
858 Posts
I also couldn't disagree more. What sounded outstanding on my former Infiniti Bose system sounds like garbage now, no matter the EQ settings.

By the way, does JBL only claim fidelity on specific file formats?
Not saying your wrong about the quality, but your comparing Toyota with Infinite - two different vehicle categories. You should be comparing Toyota with a Nissan Rogue, or Infinite with Lexus.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Not saying your wrong about the quality, but your comparing Toyota with Infinite - two different vehicle categories. You should be comparing Toyota with a Nissan Rogue, or Infinite with Lexus.
You have a point except that the extra cost JBL is touted as a PREMIUM audio system.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I think they count the subwoofer as a speaker and the rear door speakers as 2 in 1, tweeter and woofer.
I too thought that the rear door speakers were a 2 way coaxial design. I looked through the grill and it is just a single woofer. It looks like the "11 speakers in 9 locations" isn't true. Unless the speakers are dual voice coil and they are using them in some weird way. I looked at the front door speakers through the grill also. It looks like there's some type of grill in front of the woofer. I'm not sure what the purpose of it is.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I also am a bit disappointed in the JBL audio system. It is better than the 6 speaker base audio system, but only slightly. I would guess that the speakers themselves are okay. But, like most modern audio systems, there's A LOT of audio processing going on. Most listeners will like the enhanced sound that the JBL system produces. I believe this is part of the CLARI FI feature. It's basically like someone pressed the "surround sound" button. Except in this case you cannot turn it off. There's also a bit of auto leveling and equalizing going on. Like others have reported, the subwoofer hits hard at first then goes away after a few seconds. You can also hear the equalizer change dynamically as you listen. Again, this is a great feature for the majority of listeners. But for audio geeks like me, this is not a desired feature. If you listen to your favorite music, you can tell that it simply does not sound the same. I have experienced this on multiple modern car audio systems. The industry is going this way because most people get a benefit from it. If you are a purist like me, it doesn't sound good. It's a bummer because I wanted to use the stock stereo as the audio source for bigger amps, speakers and subwoofers. I will be adding a separate head unit and using a source switch to go back and forth. In that way, all of the features are retained with the stock audio system. But there will be an option for more purist audiophile listening.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've tried the JBL system and the base system before I ordered. Luckily I had chosen the base system and saved the additional money to build the system on my own. I now run a pair of Focal at the front purely off the HU, added a Hertz class D amp to power a pair of pioneer 8 inches sub installed on the rear doors. For something less than 1k CAD, I am very happy!
Now I have high quality mids and highs plus not bad of a punch off from those pioneers.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yes, there are tons of rooms behind the original speaker's locations at the doors. I am able to put in an 8 inches woofer. But the worst part is...after the installation of the woofer, things start rattling!

·
Registered
330 Posts
Lots of small speakers with and underpowered amp and over processing is what you
get in most of the High End OEM systems now. At least there is space for bigger speakers
in the doors on these. Car Systems were never that good but now they are harder to retrofit.
Most of the ones endorsed by the better sound companys and I would say JBL is one is just
the logo on the system. BMW uses HK but they don't tell you the rated power is at 10 percent distortion.
Try putting in some sound deadener if things rattle.

·
Registered
18 Posts
So I've had my RAV4 for a couple weeks now. I've noticed that the JBL audio system has noticeably improved. And I have very picky ears. I know this happens with new audio systems in general. The speakers need to break in for some time before they sound better. The treble is less harsh and the bass is more pronounced. It sounds like the frequency response is a bit lower with the subwoofer. I'm still hearing the automatic EQ happening but it seems like it's less now. I don't know if it makes a difference but I did perform the entune update. I did it before and like others had said, the music never stopped playing. No reboot or anything. However, this time the update completed with no immediate reboot. A short while later the audio system just shut off. Dark screen and all. I was thinking that something was broken. The system rebooted and everything was fine. Perhaps there were fixes or enhancements to the audio in the update? When I had a VW, there was an update to the audio system that made it sound way better. I've also noticed there's a period of time that my ears have to get used to a new sound system. Maybe all three? Speakers breaking in, software update and my ears getting used to the changes? I am definitely happier with the sound now. I still want go audiophile crazy with upgrades though. But in the meantime, I'm happy with JBL system.

·
Registered
2019 XSE Hybrid
92 Posts
Had anyone installed just s slim powered subwoofer to the standard audio system. Wondering about how easy to install, where you installed and if you just wanted more bass if it was worth it? I'm deciding if it would be good enough to keep oem speakers and just install myself. How easy is ot to wire up for a novice?

·
Registered
2018 RAV4 Hybrid Limited
134 Posts
This is probably the wrong forum to ask about that, @Don Gorgon .

This one is all about the "Premium" sound system. There are others in the "4.5 Interior" forum for making modifications to the "Standard" one. :cool:

Reactions: Don Gorgon
21 - 40 of 57 Posts