Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Replacing the transmission on 2006 4 cylinder 4WD

992 Views 3 Replies 2 Participants Last post by  Bigphil555
Replacing the transmission on my daughters 2006 Rav 4 Limited (4 cylinder, 4 wheel drive).
Does the engine have to come and/or does the subframe need to be removed?
The manual mentions needing to take to the dealer to reset the transmission?

Paid $1600 for the transmission and I feel I got it for a steal 馃槀 but... kind of thinking we're in over our heads.
the torque converter came with it and assuming we should just use the one it came with and not get a new one.

The symptoms were.. daughter driving down the street and it stopped moving and there's nothing but grinding noises. "Park" works so doesn't seem like broken axles. AWD button doesn't do anything and both Reverse and Drive do the same thing... grinding noise.

Need all the tips and insight we can get. Thanks for your help.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
2010 2.0 VVTi RAV 4
Had a quick look a the guide book I have, and it states that Toyota recommend the engine and gearbox be dropped out of the underside of the vehicle after removing the subframe.

Hope this helps, and good luck

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. Yeah I鈥檝e been researching it and it鈥檚 not going to be an easy task. does the manual mention the dealer resetting the computer codes?

Had a quick look a the guide book I have, and it states that Toyota recommend the engine and gearbox be dropped out of the underside of the vehicle after removing the subframe.

Hope this helps, and good luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.