Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 XLE with close to 100K miles. A local dealer wants around $600 for the flush, which seems like a lot.

Is it something that can be drained, filled driven a little bit and drained and filled again? Or is there more to it than that?

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have a 2013 XLE with close to 100K miles. A local dealer wants around $600 for the flush, which seems like a lot.

Is it something that can be drained, filled driven a little bit and drained and filled again? Or is there more to it than that?
I am thinking about $100 or $125 based on my experience

·
Super Moderator
11,110 Posts
$600 is absurd. If that is one of the sealed transmissions with no dipstick there are special procedures for draining an filling. I'm guessing but up to $250 is reasonable providing it's a fluid exchange not actually a flush.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Have them explain what they are doing for that money, but it sound like that dealer is scamming you. Kind of like the tree guys that charge $2000 to get rid of a tree in 1 1/2 hours with 3 guys and say ..... but we have equipment cost. Then why is it our $2 million printing press in a $3 million building with 2 high paid guys cost $400 hr. All he has is a 10 year old cherry picker and a chipper. Do the math.

·
Registered
87 Posts
$600 is absurd. If that is one of the sealed transmissions with no dipstick there are special procedures for draining an filling. I'm guessing but up to $250 is reasonable providing it's a fluid exchange not actually a flush.
I need to add, that $600 is not absurd, it is theft. Lets identify it as it should be.
I have watched the dealer do this fluid change, and it takes less than 30 minutes, allot less. Probably the car in on the lift, 15 minutes at most. And unlike many services, then skill level and training to do this is minimal.
I have a close buddy who is in the business and he tells me how some of these independent mechanics get together over a beer to tell each other stories of how they took the car owners with outrageous prices for services that take little time to do. Anyone who said $600 for the work, ask why, but first be ready to walk out of there. And let them know why. They are preying on suckers. It is just like when a Dealer charges $700 for a 30k mile or 100k mile inspection and charge for JUST looking at the car, no work. And in many cases this is done under 30 minutes for $700--but no work. Pure money maker for dealer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts