Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My RAV4 came from the distributor (Gulf States Toyota) with some cheap generic body side molding installed at the port of entry. This molding was thin, and not the same molding shown in the Toyota brochures. After 7 years in the weather, the silver paint was wearing off showing the white plastic underneath.

I was thinking about painting them, but I always preferred the wide Toyota molding that the rest of the country gets. So I ordered a set off Amazon for $130 that came from Daytona Toyota.

http://www.amazon.com/Toyota-Rav4-Body-Moulding-2006-2012/dp/B002SAT8LW

Each piece of molding is marked with the Toyota part number as well as the location it fits, here it is labelled LH RR DR (left hand rear door). You can also see the adhesive tape with a yellow covering:

But by far, the hardest part of this job is getting the old molding off and preparing the surface. After spraying the edges of the molding with WD-40 and letting it soak in, I removed it with my fingers. This is what it looks like after the old molding is peeled off.

After removing all 4 of the old pieces, I saw something strange. Instead of the gray adhesive tape used on the other pieces, the molding on the driver's door had a black rubber tape. It seems to me that the driver's side piece had been taken off and re-installed. Also, it looked like the idiot who installed it ran a line of super glue along the top and bottom edge of this piece. Removing the gray adhesive was hard enough without scratching the paint, but the driver's door was especially tough.

I tried every type of solvent I had but nothing would take off that glue. Finally went to Lowe's to get some acetone, but all they had was a gallon can for $17. Then I noticed a small can of Goof Off super glue remover for 4 bucks, which is mostly acetone, so I tried that. It did soften the glue just enough so I could scrape it off with my thumbnail, but it was tedious work. Finally, I cleaned the surfaces with the Goof Off and wiped it with a soft cloth. I applied a line of masking tape for a guide.

I went ahead and put the new molding in the same spot as the old instead of using the measurements in the instructions. As a result, the new molding is a little over an inch lower. I think it's a big improvement:

·
Registered
575 Posts
I have the same set as you and so far, it's holding up. It wasn't quite easy to put it on while keeping it straight. Did you use a heat gun to warm the molding/adhesive up before peeling them off?

I wish I had gotten the wider ones like you've shown back then, but didn't realize they existed. :(

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, I could have borrowed the heat gun from work, but I didn't want to possibly blister the paint. I'm sure if the RAV was garaged, the original molding would have held up better.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
I did wonder if it was a silly question and several hours after I posted I
did a search and found a couple of pictures just like JuneBug's. I also
did a search for side moldings for a V6 Rav and the picture came up
looking just like the ones in the link that I posted.

·
Super Moderator
11,112 Posts
That looks so much better. It was a job getting it done but the results are great.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Looks great.

I wish I had put mine on so straight.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Maybe it looks upside down because the Rav4 4.3 were built in Japan!

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you look carefully, you will see the curvature on the back of the molding compliments the curvature of the "crease" in the passenger door.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts