Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did search for info on this but my question is about the pros and cons of replacing valve stem seals... My long time mechanic said my valve seals are leaking, not much, and not enough to notice any change in performance, etc. Just a puff of smoke when the engine's stone cold (not condensation). He recommends no repair at this time but to be aware that this problem can be a CAT killer. Based on what I've read here, just the seals can be replaced without pulling the head. He seems to think that's incorrect for the 4.1, but in any event said that just doing the seals may create other problems. I bet him he's wrong. I'll owe him a pint of Guinness if he's right. So, what do you folks think? Can it really be done on the car? Anyone done it and had unforeseen problems?

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
The pros can do it with the head still installed -- typically using compressed air and a special spring compressor tool. I read of another process that inserts a rope-like material through the spark plug hole.

But for the rest of us, you likely have to pull the head. Read my thread on doing it on two different 2000s. A big job, but if you've ever rebuilt an engine, and if you need to do the timing set, water pump, etc. too, it's a reasonable (but big) project. Be safe!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The pros can do it with the head still installed -- typically using compressed air and a special spring compressor tool. I read of another process that inserts a rope-like material through the spark plug hole.

But for the rest of us, you likely have to pull the head. Read my thread on doing it on two different 2000s. A big job, but if you've ever rebuilt an engine, and if you need to do the timing set, water pump, etc. too, it's a reasonable (but big) project. Be safe!
Thanks. That's pretty much what my mechanic said. But he also said that there's a downside to just doing the seals, like excessive valve noise afterwards. I'm wondering if you or anyone else has experience with this?

My guy won't do just the valve stem seals, he'll only do a complete valve job, but he can refer me somewhere that will. As for doing it myself, I once did the head and timing chain on a Triumph TR-3. I screwed it up 3 times. That cured me of any DYI urges I get then and forever!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.