·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
14 Posts
The on the car brake lathe was cool. Thanks for the post.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Does anyone know what the brake calipers are like on a 2013 XLE? Is it simple to push back in using the cheap part from AutoZone or is a special tool required to push and twist at the same time or something?

I used that same tool when I did my brakes - in reality you could use a C-clamp and piece of metal to compress the caliper. I've seen it done using a screwdriver too.

No matter what tool you use remember, just compress the caliper s-l-o-w-l-y!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Can't edit my post anymore but it looks like yes the calipers are standard push style.
Also shown here is the C-clamp method @Mikey D. mentioned, haha:
https://youtu.be/1ubbDCKtuow?t=185
Also shown here (step 8):
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/r/car-projects/how-to-replace-brake-rotors
Very nice!

Plan on replacing the pads (and possibly resurfacing rear rotors, haven't decided yet) to save myself $189 the dealer quoted for rear brake pads + resurface.

This guys videos are awesome if anyone is looking for a general guide:

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I used that same tool when I did my brakes
Great thanks. Do you know if the brakes on the '13 are the same as on the '09? Seems like the calipers are getting more complicated with newer cars...

Also solid advice, thank you.
That question I can’t answer, sorry. You are very welcome.

Oh, and make sure to grease the slide pins before you replace the pads.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Does everyone run OEM pads...autozone...or?

I did my Accord with Centric parts and they have served me well..
WIfe's RAV4 needs front pads at about 52k

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Does everyone run OEM pads...autozone...or?

I did my Accord with Centric parts and they have served me well..
WIfe's RAV4 needs front pads at about 52k

Many people use ADVICS ( they come with shims) an OEM maker or AKEBONO which some people say grip a little better.

You can find a good price on ebay , Amazon or Rockauto

·
Registered
288 Posts
I can confirm that we must use rubber-safe brake grease. I made a mistake and used Permatex 24110 Ultra Disc Brake Caliper Lube, which is not a rubber-safe grease. After just 2 years, the rubber bushings on the pins swelled to the point where they nearly seized inside of the caliper brackets. In several cases when I tried to reinsert the pins (before realizing that I had swelled the bushings), the bushings would not remain inside of the pin groove and would just push off and up the pin. Additionally, I think the rubber boots swelled where they inset into the caliper brackets, which created more friction as the pins moved in and out of the brackets.

I purchased new boots and bushings, and have switched to Permatex 80653 Silicone Extreme Brake Parts Lubricant.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for sharing this! When the instructions say to lube the piston and piston boot. Do you actually apply a thin coat of the recommended toyota lube to the entire boot and as much of the outer side of the piston? Seems like this would attract more dust.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Thanks for sharing this! When the instructions say to lube the piston and piston boot. Do you actually apply a thin coat of the recommended toyota lube to the entire boot and as much of the outer side of the piston? Seems like this would attract more dust.
Just to make sure we're using the same terminology, you're talking about the actual brake piston and its rubber seal/boot on the inside of the caliper.

In that case, yes, I will apply a little bit of grease to the circle portion of the piston that contacts the back of the brake pad (to help reduce noise). I'll also add a little layer to the rubber boot around the piston to help preserve the rubber. Yes, it attracts some dust & dirt but nothing that has ever concerned me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Found some great videos on performing a brake job from a Toyota master technician (The car care nut). Enjoy!

Toyota Brakes and Rotors DIY Master Class Part 1 Disassembly

Toyota Brakes and Rotors DIY Master Class Part 2 Pad Preparation

Toyota Brakes and Rotors DIY Master Class Part 3 Reassembly and Rear Brakes

·
Registered
100 Posts
I replaced the front pads last weekend on our 2015 LE.
I bought OEM pads, slide pins, and the “fitting kit” online through the Toyota parts website:
Toyota Parts Center Online | Genuine Parts & Accessories
I ended up only replacing the pads, everything else was still in excellent condition.

1 x DISC BRAKE PAD SET (FRONT) 0446542200
1 x SHIM KIT, ANTI SQUEAL, FRONT includes 2 shims per pad, abutment clips, wear indicators, and shim grease 0494512111
2 x Disc Brake Caliper Pin (Front). 4771512A10
2x Disc Brake Caliper Pin (Front) 4771552190

Torque Specs:
Mounting bolts 76 ft-lbs
Guide pin bolts 25 ft-lbs
Wheel lug nuts 76 ft-lbs

1 - 15 of 15 Posts