1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Your Humble Administrator
16,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Banned
2,669 Posts
They made some good points I was not aware of. Now, speaking about the lithium soap glycol grease. Good luck finding it. I just use pure silicon (dielectric) grease based on this info officially from Toyota in Russia.
Not sure why the difference in recommendation in Russia vs USA.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Why does Toyota say : "DO NOT apply any grease or lubricants to pad clips when reinstalling" ... In the service manual, they dont say so, then curious why this new directive. [are they assuming because new rust free, dust free pad clips are supposed to be used?]

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hello,

Would suspect that the reason for the silicon grease recommendation is that in very cold conditions, believe it behaves better than regular grease that get quite hard.

Regards

·
Registered
115 Posts
In all my years working for a dealership and then as a Snap On Tools franchise Owner visiting shops. I have never seen a Tech measure pad thickness (always just eyed it), no caliper to measure rotor thickness, and definitely never seen anyone measuring run-out.

·
Registered
31 Posts
In all my years working for a dealership and then as a Snap On Tools franchise Owner visiting shops. I have never seen a Tech measure pad thickness (always just eyed it), no caliper to measure rotor thickness, and definitely never seen anyone measuring run-out.
Amen to that. A simple eye check will tell you how thick the pads are. And if there's run-out on the disc, then that will show up as a pulsing on the brake pedal or wobbling in the steering wheel during braking.

Measuring the thickness of the disc isn't a bad idea, but an experienced tech can tell by eye.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Amen to that. A simple eye check will tell you how thick the pads are. And if there's run-out on the disc, then that will show up as a pulsing on the brake pedal or wobbling in the steering wheel during braking.

Measuring the thickness of the disc isn't a bad idea, but an experienced tech and tell by eye.
How can anyone tell that the thickness of a rotor is slightly under spec just by eyeballing it? Use of a micrometer is absolutely necessary as far as I can see. :confused:

·
Registered
4,064 Posts

Measuring the thickness of the disc isn't a bad idea, but an experienced tech and tell by eye.
Measuring the thickness is important to demonstrate that the experienced tech was wrong when he said you needed new calipers. If you don't have a measuring device and the specification with you when you are told your calipers are too thin to turn, at least ask for the old parts so that you can verify later.

Incidentally, a measuring device called a digital caliper is nice for measuring disk calipers.

·
Registered
31 Posts
How can anyone tell that the thickness of a rotor is slightly under spec just by eyeballing it? Use of a micrometer is absolutely necessary as far as I can see. :confused:
Sorry for not responding sooner. When the rotor wears, there is a section of the rotor face closer to the center of the wheel that doesn't have contact with the pads. That portion remains unworn, which leaves a "lip" between the worn and unworn portions of the rotor face. The thickness of that lip shows how much wear the rotor has received. Running your fingernail over that lip can also help. My guess is that "old-school" mechanics would be more comfortable with this than a recent grad from an auto tech program.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the wear specs provided by the manufacturers are *extremely* conservative. In other words, their specs generally tell you to replace the rotor long before there are any safety or performance issues.

Those two things--the lip and the over-cautiousness of the specs--allow most professional mechanics to make a good decision without actually measuring the thickness of the rotor.

Incidentally, a measuring device called a digital caliper is nice for measuring disk calipers.
If a professional mechanic decided to measure, he would measure the thickness of the rotor, not measure the disc calipers. And he would probably use a micrometer, not a caliper.

No offense intended ... just trying to share information.

Best of luck to all!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just replaced the front pads on a 2012 V6 at 36,000 miles. They were about 3/4 gone.

Do rear pads tend to last longer than fronts?

Also, I ordered OEM pads from a dealer online. All that was in the box was four pads, no shims, grease or wear clips.
Is this normal for Toyota? I had to order a separate kit for the shims and wear clips.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I just replaced the front pads on a 2012 V6 at 36,000 miles. They were about 3/4 gone.

Also, I ordered OEM pads from a dealer online. All that was in the box was four pads, no shims, grease or wear clips.
Is this normal for Toyota? I had to order a separate kit for the shims and wear clips.

Thanks
Many people get ADVICS brand pads( they come with shims) . they are the OEM maker for Toyota.

You can get them on ebay or rockauto or Amazon cheaper than Toyota.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts

Thanks
Yes it is normal like in Toyota only give you the pads only. There is no shims or clips ever. At least when you buy the Advics they give you the shims with it. (no clips) Advics is the
OEM suppliers that make the Toyota pads. Advics also make the calipers.

The front brakes does most of the braking compared to the rear. For this reason the front wear down faster by two times.

When doing brakes ensure that the caliper slide pins are clean and lubricated with new silicone grease. This is sometimes or I should say many times omitted in a brake job.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The Advics look identical to the Toyota pads. Nice to get the shims but it looks like the only way to get the wear clips is to buy the Toyota shim kit?
I just looked at the original pads. They are stamped with both Advics and Toyota. There is an S after Advics. Also PV565H-FG.
This was the first brake job on a 2012. The pins were getting a bit stiff and the lube was dark black. Cleaned them and used 3M Silicone paste. Big difference.

Thanks

·
Registered
419 Posts
My mechanic doesn't use silicone pin lub / but rather a more expensive ceramic paste.
- to combat moisture & rusting, leading to premature/uneven brake wear in Winter climate (w/salted roads)
- even shim are protected on both sides, along with the caliper pin de-rusting & coating

On our v6 RAV4 and sons Lexus RX350, I always buy MaxBrakes Kit out of the Toronto, ON.
- great price, long lasting so far, thick G-3500 Cast iron rotors
- brakes are as smooth as silk & quiet / brake dust on alloy rims are kept to a bare minimum
- kit includes / drilled, slotted & coated rotors with ceramic pads (shim kit not included)
- ELITE xDS Series Kits https://maxbrakes.com/c-1002950-brake-kits-elite-xds-series-kits.html

^^ Saved $1,000 (parts & labor) by avoiding the Lexus dealership (a month ago), on a 4 wheel brake job.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello world :) My car is 2007 Rav4, 2.0 (EU model). I am using this website to check the part numbers: japan-parts.eu

Rear brake pads number : 04466-42060
Front brake pads number : 04465-42140

I have ordered rear pads from parts.olathetoyota (usually buying parts from this or from toyotapartsdeal.com), but cannot find the front pads, it shows not available anymore. Any help on this? Or which website can I use to buy original parts?

Thanks

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
16 Participants
gorlazyan
Toyota RAV4 Forums
Rav 4 World is the internet's largest Toyota Rav4 SUV and EV online forum community. Discuss towing, modifications, and more.
Full Forum Listing