Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi again. Couple of weeks ago my second wheel bearing on the rear passenger side got shot. The shop quoted me $250 for replacement so I decided to do it myself and share my experience with others. I hope this can maybe save someone few bucks as you can definitely do this yourself. This is for 02 Rav4 with two wheel drive and 211K miles on it. This is also my second bearing I did as the first was the drivers side rear back in September of '15.

First time I've noted the weird howling sound coming out of the back of the car when i took the car to get some gas. My wife drives the Rav4 daily and she had never noticed anything unusual about it so I am not even sure how long has she been driving on a bad bearing. Anyway, this is how I did change it;

First, I lifted the back of the car and spun the wheel, right away I could hear and feel the grinding and hauling noise while spinning the wheel. The wheel also had a big play when pulling and pushing the wheel at 12 and 6 o'clock.

2. Take out the wheel

3. Next, to take out the hub assembly you have to take out 4 14mm nuts that were holding the bearing hub to the backing plate.

Next step is to attempt to separate the hub assembly from the backing plate. To do this, you'll have to stick the large bolt through the big hole of the hub and rest it against the backing plate and not the inner part of the hub. Then, insert the washer on the other end of the bolt behind the hub, following with the nut. Screw the nut alaway up to the back of the hub so its tight. Next, use a large socket and start turning clockwise slowly, until you'll start seeing the inner side of the hub start lifting away from the backing plate. Eventually you'll hear a thump when the one side gets released. To actually do this successfully, you have to hold the nut with something so it doesn't spin with the bolt as you turning the bolt clockwise, forcing/lifting the hub away from the backing plate. To do this I used long nose pliers that easily fit in the tight spot behind the backing plate and the brake shoes.

Next, after you'll get this bearing assembly off of the plate is best to measure and compare the old one bearing to the new one. I got the new one from Amazon by company called GMB with part #770-0251. This assembly came with the ABS sensor already installed and this was also my second bearing from that company. So far the first one works great and only cost me $46 with free shipping!!!! Cant beat that...

After you've determined that both bearings match, attempt to clean the inner side of the backing plate, put some anti-seize and thread locker and reassemble the new hub assembly back on the car.

Finally, make sure to torque the 4 nuts that hold the Bearing Hub Assembly to 37 foot Pounds and reconnect the ABS sensor behind the backing plate. Everything took maybe 2 hours and saved me $200. I hope these picture help someone to do this DIY. Cheers!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can't get rusty rear bearing out

I have a 1998, front wheel drive, no ABS RAV4. My wheel bearing went out and I am trying to replace it but it is rusted on pretty good. I tried your technique of using the bolts to force it out to no avail. Do you have any other suggestions on how to remove the old, rusty bearing?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a 1998, front wheel drive, no ABS RAV4. My wheel bearing went out and I am trying to replace it but it is rusted on pretty good. I tried your technique of using the bolts to force it out to no avail. Do you have any other suggestions on how to remove the old, rusty bearing?
You may have to rent a tool to help you remove this hub. Usually Auto zone or O'Reilly has something to help you with that. Don't forget to spray the contact points with a good lubricant as well. Good luck

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
70 Posts
I think that how DPFAST described it is the best way to remove it.
However my hub assembly didn't come of eather, the backplate got damaged and the bolts also. Be gentle with the backplate, they are extremely expensive to replace.
At the end I used a rotary hammer, hammering it lose together with a lot of Imal and WD40 .

P.s. I have a 4WD RAV with discbrakes at the rear but the technique is the same

·
Registered
2 Posts
Split Hub - now what

The bearing part is stuck inside the plate. The front portion came out as described but the back portion did not break free. Any suggestions on how to pull the bearing and casing that attaches to the plate?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts