Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to have a 2018 RAV4 LE (Non-Push Start) I purchased and it got labeled as totaled by insurance.

Ended up purchasing a 2017 RAV4 XLE (Non-Push Start) as a replacement.

I have the key from my 2018 RAV4 and wanted to see if I could reprogram it as a spare key for my 2017 RAV4?

The key pattern would be different but at least the remote could work in case of an emergency.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Don't own a 4.4 rav4 and not sure what type of key you have, but you may need to consider the following (if 4.4 still uses the same technology):
1. For your 2018 LE key to function as a remote only, you have to check if its FCC ID matches with the one from your 2017 XLE key.
2. To have a backup key that also starts your engine, you need to get a new blank key (with a chip) to have it cut and programmed, since your 2018 key will be useless now for your new car.
3. You need a software to program the new key. I heard Toyota's TechStream works well. Older Toyota cars have some interesting ways to program (like my 08 FJ Cruiser), but new cars may have more limitations.

So basically, chip is used to talk to the engine and fob (with a small circuit board inside) is used as a remote. Then you need to have a new key cut and find a way to program the chip and the remote.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I used to have a 2018 RAV4 LE (Non-Push Start) I purchased and it got labeled as totaled by insurance.

Ended up purchasing a 2017 RAV4 XLE (Non-Push Start) as a replacement.

I have the key from my 2018 RAV4 and wanted to see if I could reprogram it as a spare key for my 2017 RAV4?

The key pattern would be different but at least the remote could work in case of an emergency.

Why don't you just get Techstream and buy a key from eBay and program it yourself.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't own a 4.4 rav4 and not sure what type of key you have, but you may need to consider the following (if 4.4 still uses the same technology):
1. For your 2018 LE key to function as a remote only, you have to check if its FCC ID matches with the one from your 2017 XLE key.
2. To have a backup key that also starts your engine, you need to get a new blank key (with a chip) to have it cut and programmed, since your 2018 key will be useless now for your new car.
3. You need a software to program the new key. I heard Toyota's TechStream works well. Older Toyota cars have some interesting ways to program (like my 08 FJ Cruiser), but new cars may have more limitations.

So basically, chip is used to talk to the engine and fob (with a small circuit board inside) is used as a remote. Then you need to have a new key cut and find a way to program the chip and the remote.
I see, so most likely I will need a programmer of some sort. I know older cars allow you to press a button combination to get it paired to the vehicle.

For example: A BMW Z3 allows you to use another key by turning on&off the ignition, hold the unlock and press the lock 3 times to pair a key to the factory system.

I was hoping I had a use for this extra key rather than throwing it away.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why don't you just get Techstream and buy a key from eBay and program it yourself.

I had a spare key from my previous RAV4 that seemed like a waste to throw away if there was some sort of way to reprogram it. The RAV4 I have now does have 2 keys so I don't necessarily need another one for now.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just discovered TechStream after reading a few posts from here. Seems like a really cool tool.

Any other interesting things you can do besides program keys or whatever you can mess with in settings? I might just grab one for fun and play around with it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts