Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The manual states that the keyless entry remote can be reprogrammed to open ALL doors with one push of a button instead of having to press it twice. Does anyone know how to do this so I don't have to take it to Toyota and spend more money?

·
Registered
179 Posts
There was a thread a couple months ago discussing the same topic. You may wish to search for it and PM the person who had it done. Personally for me, I think it is a great safety feature for me to be able to open only my driver's door without opening the doors on the other side of the car unless I press a 2nd time. Maybe that's not the way you are used to, but you may wish to consider that after you do get used to the 2nd push to open the other doors, you may decide that you feel safer that way.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I really thought about trying to get used to it but as each day passes by it is annoying me because I had aftermarket keyless entry in my rav4 that I just traded and all doors would unlock with one push of a button and now it is bothersome to have to hit the button twice especially after doing it to other way for so long. I'm going to stop by the dealer later this week and ask them. Some guys in other newsgroups were saying they wanted to charge $30 though but I'll ask. What can it hurt :)

·
Registered
652 Posts
cusack said:
and now it is bothersome to have to hit the button twice especially after doing it to other way for so long.
Isn't life great when hitting a button 2ice is bothersome! :D

It just shows how fortunate we all are to be able to buy a new car in the first place. :)

Happiness and bothersome sure are relative terms. :wink:

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sometimes things that make you go hmmmmmm....good point. I am thankful that I can even buy a car, let alone find things to complain about. :shock:

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LOL good point. We do complain about the slightest things. At least I know I do. I managed to stop at a Toyota dealer today while I was out of town and this dealer wanted $30 to reprogram it to unlock with one press of the button. I'll be back in town later this week and will check with the dealer I bought it from but I have a feeling they are going to want to charge me too.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I checked with not one Toyota dealer but two and both of them, including the dealer I bought mine from wants $30 to reprogram this to where all doors will unlock with the press of one button. They said that they have to hook it to their computer. I really don't think it's worth paying $30 to have this done so I guess I'll just have to get used to pressing the button twice. If anyone ever hears a way that it can be done without toyota having to do it, let me know.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
A lot of vehicles have an "adjustment warranty" for the first 12 months, and changes like that generally fall under there. On my previous VW you got one "free" change of settings like how the locks worked, then had to pay after that. Seems kind of stingy of Toyota to not offer something similar.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes I did. He went to his boss and came back and their response was "we gave you such a good deal on your Rav that we can't afford to spend the money on a technician's 1/2 hour on it to do that for you". I thought it sucked to however I did feel like I got a good deal on my Rav. I paid $20,804 for the base model with roof rack, touneau cover, cd changer and carpet mats. They showed me the invoice where they ordered this thing in from Toyota and they paid $20,620 so I only paid $184 over invoice so I can't complain to much.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Your absolutely right, the more I think about it it's not fair. That should be something that can easily be changed and would take them probably less than 10 minutes to do once they hooked up the computer to it. I just emailed Toyota about it. I will wait and see how long before they contact me back and will let everyone know what they say. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Lexus offers free customize setting during the first 5000 miles, I guess Toyota doesn't do that. It is a 10 minute job, but it takes the technician 5 minutes to hook up the computer and another 5 minutes to disconnect. Total to 20 minutes at about $90 an hour, so $30 sounds about right.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I have come to the conclusion that my dealer is not very customer orientated and I will definately remember this in the future. I contacted Toyota customer service today and they said that "most" dealers do not charge to have this changed and that I should contact the customer relations manager at my dealership. I did so and he gave me some crap about how they would have to pay their ASA certified technician 1/2 labor for them to do this and yadda yadda yadda. Their final comment was "well we will give you a discount on your first oil change". That does me no good because I do my own oil changes and secondly he never even said what the discount would be. What a bunch of losers. I could understand if I was asking for something that would take an enormous amount of time to do but I can bet you anything that this could be changed in 15 minutes or less. I will remember this when it comes to making my next vehicle purchase and will buy from another dealer because they don't seem willing to help their customers for something as simple as this.

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
you have to play hardball with car dealers. Tell them exactly what you said here. My NEXT car will NOT be from your dealer.. And ALL my service will be taken elsewhere.

cusack said:
Well I have come to the conclusion that my dealer is not very customer orientated and I will definately remember this in the future. I contacted Toyota customer service today and they said that "most" dealers do not charge to have this changed and that I should contact the customer relations manager at my dealership. I did so and he gave me some crap about how they would have to pay their ASA certified technician 1/2 labor for them to do this and yadda yadda yadda. Their final comment was "well we will give you a discount on your first oil change". That does me no good because I do my own oil changes and secondly he never even said what the discount would be. What a bunch of losers. I could understand if I was asking for something that would take an enormous amount of time to do but I can bet you anything that this could be changed in 15 minutes or less. I will remember this when it comes to making my next vehicle purchase and will buy from another dealer because they don't seem willing to help their customers for something as simple as this.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts