Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
2017 RAV4 Limited..Taking a 1500 mile trip very soon..4 adults (approx. weight 670 lbs., Bridgestone tires, w/6000 miles on them...Bought/installed receiver (38 lbs)., Aluminum carrier (36 lbs) and luggage which am
guessing 70 lbs to be placed in carrier...My question what would be the best tire pressure and any advice
you might have for safety concerns....I plan on keeping at on/about 70-75 MPH but a lot of the travel will
be US Hiways not so much Interstates...Many Thanks

·
Registered
31 Posts
Get your self a digital pressure gauge, put in 5-7 lbs over the recommended pressure that's posted on the tire pressure sticker. Safe Travels

·
Super Moderator
10,205 Posts
I like your hitch carrier much better than a roof one which can drastically affect mileage. Your weights are quite reasonable also so I don't see any issues.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like your hitch carrier much better than a roof one which can drastically affect mileage. Your weights are quite reasonable also so I don't see any issues.
Thank You Dr. Dyno., appreciate your reply and absolutely agree with hitch carrier vs roof.....

·
Registered
129 Posts
Think of the hitch carrier as the tongue weight of a trailer. According to specs, your tongue weight should be less than 150 pounds. They don't tell you to increase the pressure of your tires, etc., if you have a trailer with a 150 lps tongue weight and your carrier "tongue weight" is less than that.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Think of the hitch carrier as the tongue weight of a trailer. According to specs, your tongue weight should be less than 150 pounds. They don't tell you to increase the pressure of your tires, etc., if you have a trailer with a 150 lps tongue weight and your carrier "tongue weight" is less than that.
Appreciate your information...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts