Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told if you get the proper air in all of your tires including the spare tire that there is a button underneath the steering column to reset the icon is that true because I cannot find it

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I think there is a TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System) reset button by the steering column on the 4th generation RAV4 (model year 2013 and newer).

But I don't think it exists on RAV4 model years 2012 or older.

Reactions: GETTIRDUN

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
If you have all the pressures correct the light will go off by itself as soon as you start the engine. If not you have something wrong. Try going way over the recommended amount like 40 psi. If that still doesn't do it one of the batteries is dead on the sender unit. They are suppose to last only 7-8 years.

·
Super Moderator
11,100 Posts
I was told if you get the proper air in all of your tires including the spare tire that there is a button underneath the steering column to reset the icon is that true because I cannot find it
Not on a 4.3 model assuming that's what you have.

NOTE: All five tires are monitored so you must check the spare also.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Our first cold spell the light popped on. Checked pressures and three were good, but one was just a little down. I fixed that, but couldn't find a reset button like my owners manual mentioned. However, after about two days, the light went out by itself. So maybe it's like the warning you get with a loose gas cap - just wAit a day or two and it will reset itself.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the info...I am going to try to go by what the sticker says on the door for psi...Then check my spare... and it will probably go out...its a 2010 v6 so I can stop looking for the easy fix reset button..thanks y'all:thumbs_up:

·
Super Moderator
11,100 Posts
Sometimes the light does not immediately go out. I've had it take a couple of miles before it shut off. That's assuming all is working correctly and all five tires up to the correct pressure. (I put 45lbs in the spare).

·
Super Moderator
11,100 Posts
There ya go.............it varies.

·
Registered
731 Posts
On my wife's 2010, as soon as I air up the low tire, the light goes out. I don't have to drive the RAV for it to go out.

If the light is flashing at startup and then stays on, there is a hardware issue.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Interesting. I would have guessed that would be the way it should work, but mine took longer. I had concluded that I had a defective system and had made an appointment with the dealer to have it checked. (It's a brand new vehicle.). But after about 2-3 days it went out by itself, so I cancelled the appointment. I figured it was like a loose gas cap, that it just took a day or three to reset the computer.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Ha, reminds me the first time the tire pressure light came on in our '11 when it was less than a year old. Of course these things always happen when my wife is driving somewhere out of town. I had her visit a tire store and they aired up all four tires a few PSI but the tire tech said they weren't that low. The light stayed on though, which was freaking out my wife. I assured her that it must be a system failure since the tire guy made sure all the tires were correctly inflated.

When she got home the next day I checked all the tires and the pressures were fine, but indeed the light was still on. Turned out the spare has a sensor too and we'd never checked the pressure in the spare! Found it had only about 20 something PSI in it. As soon as I aired it up the light was off as soon as the car was started. There was no need to drive several miles or days.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Yesterday was my turn for the TPMS light.

When I left for work in the morning, the light came on. I checked all four tires and they were fine. I was late so I went to work with the light on.

When I came home, I checked the spare and it was at 23. Filled it up to 40, started the car and within 15 seconds the light went out.

That's the first time in 3 years the spare went that low to trigger the light.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Yesterday was my turn for the TPMS light.

When I left for work in the morning, the light came on. I checked all four tires and they were fine. I was late so I went to work with the light on.

When I came home, I checked the spare and it was at 23. Filled it up to 40, started the car and within 15 seconds the light went out.

That's the first time in 3 years the spare went that low to trigger the light.
I put 40 in my spare as well. Lasts a loooooong time!

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
I put 40 in my spare as well. Lasts a loooooong time!
Me too! I figure if I'm going to have a flat, better too much air in the spare than not enough!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts