Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having replaced the winder motor on the driver's door, now the auto switch no longer works. The window goes up and down but only holding the switch down fully (or up). Any ideas on how to reset it? It's very annoying - although I'm very happy that the window now works again!

·
Premium Member
7,938 Posts
This is the procedure from the owner's manual for later models, might work on yours too.

Start with the window closed.

1> Press and hold the power window switch. Continue holding the switch for
1 second or more after the window has opened completely.

2> Hold the power window switch in the one-touch closing position. Continue
holding the switch for 1 second or more after the window has closed completely.

If you release the switch while the window is moving, start again from the
beginning.

Reactions: lizd

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Quickdtoo but I tried that - found it on YouTube- really thought I'd done it but seemingly not. I'd welcome any other ideas though as taking it to the Toyota garage here would probably cost more than my lovely RAV is worth!

·
Registered
609 Posts
On my 99 model, you set-up the limit switch while you are installing the new motor.
What year is your Rav4?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your reply roundabout. I doubt it. I used a 'man who can' to fit the motor. It's a 1999 model. Can you be more specific or is it too complicated?

·
Registered
609 Posts
The first method sounds the easiest, if you know about procedure. The second sounds easier if you can find the reset button.
This is from the service manual:

*1 Resetting method of the motor for jam protection.
HINT: When cutting the motor away from the regulator or racing the motor, make sure to rest the motor.
This is the operation to set limit switch at ”OFF”.
(1) Connect the motor to the vehicle side harness.
(2) Rotate the motor to the rising direction for 4 − 5 secs..
HINT: Rotating the motor for 4 − 5 secs. sets the limit switch at ”OFF”. (Top dead center of the door glass.)

*2 Resetting method of the motor for jam protection.
(1) Move the window to the fully closed position. (perform this by manual operation.)
(2) Using the bar with ø 2mm, press the reset switch.
(3) With the reset switch pressed, move the window to the fully opened position with the master switch. (Perform this by manual operation)
(4) Remove the bar from the reset switch, move the window to the fully closed position.

The manual does not say if the small reset switch is on the motor, or the switch assembly.
Most of the time these service notes make the most sense when you have the parts in front of you, but that may just be me.

Good luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Many thanks Roundabout. It's worth trying if I can find a mechanic to do it! I'm not sure the guy who fitted it is knowledgeable enough but I'll try. Thanks again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts