Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On 2015, The 1st generation Rav4 turned 20 years old. Then Toyota UK decided it would be a great idea to give a life back to one of Toyota's game changer. Thus, a restoration project.

The blog is divided into four links.

These are the pictures of the part 1, the inspection and parts inventory.
Link here - [URL="http://blog.toyota.co.uk/toyota-rav4-restoration-part-1"]http://blog.toyota.co.uk/toyota-rav4-restoration-part-1[/URL]

Pictures of the part 2, the starting build.
Link here - Toyota RAV4 restoration: Part 2 - Toyota

Pictures of the part 3, the surgery.
Link here - Toyota RAV4 restoration: Part 3 - Toyota

Pictures of the part 4, the reveal.
Link here - Toyota RAV4 restoration: The reveal - Toyota

See more photos of the whole restoration blog on the links provided above. Toyota UK did an outstanding photo shoot of this Rav4.1.

·
Registered
412 Posts
AWESOME !!!
People in UK have discovered the GEM. When is it going to happen in USA??

·
Registered
27 Posts
Indeed - beautiful job!

AWESOME !!!
People in UK have discovered the GEM. When is it going to happen in USA??
^Indeed.
I am getting ready to have my '99 repainted. I want to ask, what's the best way to restore the plastic bottom panels? Mine are all gray, and different shades? I'd like ot get them back to dfark grey or black.
Thanks again for the pics.
Shaun

·
Registered
412 Posts
^Indeed.
I am getting ready to have my '99 repainted. I want to ask, what's the best way to restore the plastic bottom panels? Mine are all gray, and different shades? I'd like ot get them back to dfark grey or black.
Thanks again for the pics.
Shaun

I think they kind of came greyish.

Mine were different colors as well.

Use Forever Black. BUT forever black is not black forever !!!

I did mine about 8 months ago. I have had to redo some sections regularly every 2 months.

Key is to sand it and then apply forever black. The panel in the back or areas that are in GOOD CONDITION are not ROUGH enough for forever black. It strips off easily. You will have to lightly sand it so not to damage it or put any impressions on it but enough to apply forever black.

Attaching some of my pics after I applied it.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Looks great!

Very nice.
So, I gather you are sanding it to give it 'tooth'. I know my plastic panels already have a texture to them. I ordered some, and a few of the reviews talked about it' falling off', so I will heed your warning, although on one forum people were talking about just using chemical/soap to clan off grease etc. I was thinking of using 'Dove' dish detergent for that purpose.

Thanks for the reply - beautiful RAV!

-Shaun

·
Registered
27 Posts
Forever Black

I think they kind of came greyish.

Mine were different colors as well.

Use Forever Black. BUT forever black is not black forever !!!

I did mine about 8 months ago. I have had to redo some sections regularly every 2 months.

Key is to sand it and then apply forever black. The panel in the back or areas that are in GOOD CONDITION are not ROUGH enough for forever black. It strips off easily. You will have to lightly sand it so not to damage it or put any impressions on it but enough to apply forever black.

Attaching some of my pics after I applied it.
So, I got a bottle of FB and let me ask - was yours streaky at all? I applied three coats, after thorough cleaning, and there's streaking - some of it mild, but some pretty noticeable - I have only tried it on one part as a test, following instuctions. Did you run into this?

·
Registered
412 Posts
So, I got a bottle of FB and let me ask - was yours streaky at all? I applied three coats, after thorough cleaning, and there's streaking - some of it mild, but some pretty noticeable - I have only tried it on one part as a test, following instuctions. Did you run into this?

Yes. Streaky!!!

for those areas you have to apply a little on your brush and try spread and spread and spread to make it even.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts