Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a passionate guy to restore my 258k mile STICK SHIFT RAV4 to factory MINT condition. No fuzz in paint. No over spray. No "making money" kind of business he has. He does things right... He completely stripped the vehicle and repainted it. I have some closeup shots but pictures don't do justice. He has made the vehicle PERFECT !!!
I had debated on my future with my car. TOYOTA no small stick shift SUV that is a real off roader - sadly minus the low range :-(
I have decided to marry my car!

FIRST BATCH IS THE RESTORATION .... the REPLIES Below show stages!

Attachments

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
PAINTING THE RAV !!!

Attachments

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
COMPLETED !

Attachments

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
AINT NOTHING like a stick shift !

Attachments

·
Registered
158 Posts
Looks beautiful! Hopefully she will last a whole lot longer!

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Looks great! Interesting - Australia licence plate on front but the RAV is left hand drive - was your RAV in Australia at some point? Looks like TN plate in rear. Envy your stick shift!

·
Registered
419 Posts
MINT 5MT 1998 4x4 RAV4 with fender flares - 255k ORIGINAL miles - 100% factory - CDIFF
PAST: All USA/CANADA roads/trails done, ALL of ALASKA done all the way up to the Arctic Ocean
FUTURE: Down to Brazil, Argentina, Chile (if wife lets me)

^^ Now that is some impressive road trips / I'd like to drive to Alaska and cook a fresh salmon, on the shore - when wife retires, west & east coast of Canada, are on our list.
- got any links to your fabulous road trips ?

Now the Restoration
- I'm love'in the workmanship and the fact you captured many before pics...tells a quality story.
- is your '98 a 4x4? ... only saw the stick shift, in photo

·
Registered
481 Posts
Yeah! Happy you decided to keep it.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Wow, it looks great! I like the red detail in the "Toyota" logo on your bumper scrim.

What did the painter do about the black painted parts on the doors, around the window? Did he repaint that, too?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looks great! Interesting - Australia licence plate on front but the RAV is left hand drive - was your RAV in Australia at some point? Looks like TN plate in rear. Envy your stick shift!

Thanks! :)

I brought the Australian plate during my extravaganzas around the outback a while back with another RAV4 I had there.

Reactions: Blogson

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
MINT 5MT 1998 4x4 RAV4 with fender flares - 255k ORIGINAL miles - 100% factory - CDIFF
PAST: All USA/CANADA roads/trails done, ALL of ALASKA done all the way up to the Arctic Ocean
FUTURE: Down to Brazil, Argentina, Chile (if wife lets me)

^^ Now that is some impressive road trips / I'd like to drive to Alaska and cook a fresh salmon, on the shore - when wife retires, west & east coast of Canada, are on our list.
- got any links to your fabulous road trips ?

Now the Restoration
- I'm love'in the workmanship and the fact you captured many before pics...tells a quality story.
- is your '98 a 4x4? ... only saw the stick shift, in photo

Thank you!!!
Yes it is a 4x4 with a central differential locker.

I am about to drive down to Mexico and I was about to start a thread on that as well.

As far as pics.. I have some of the links I have pasted below. You don't have to be a facebook member to view them.

ALASKA
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10208884965935379.1073741930.1051713372&type=1&l=31a9dccc86

YUKON ALBERTA BRITISH COLUMBIA
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10208885191541019.1073741931.1051713372&type=1&l=ede97f3acb

NORTH CENTRAL USA
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10208885339584720.1073741932.1051713372&type=1&l=71dadf1baa

GLACIERS
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10206712956116491.1073741922.1051713372&type=1&l=a48b7c8469

HOH RAINFOREST
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10206712904355197.1073741919.1051713372&type=1&l=b46334e015

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow, it looks great! I like the red detail in the "Toyota" logo on your bumper scrim.

What did the painter do about the black painted parts on the doors, around the window? Did he repaint that, too?
Thanks.

The RED color was just filled in by the body shop at my request ... as there is already a deep TOYOTA impression there from factory. I just had it filled with color.
The side trim came grey from factory which after years of wear and tear looked OLD so I had them spray it black... even though I do regularly use FOREVER BLACK on it.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Thanks! :)

I brought the Australian plate during my extravaganzas around the outback a while back with another RAV4 I had there.

You should be in a Toyota advert for the RAV's versatility. Looking forward to learning about your further adventures! :)

·
Super Moderator
11,100 Posts
Was there a mechanical overhaul as well? Car looks great.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Was there a mechanical overhaul as well? Car looks great.

TOYOTA dealer did this before I took it to the body shop.....

I had ALL the belts changed. New spark plugs, new spark plug wires.
New Radiator. New Steering pump.
Exhaust leak fixed.

:D

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1 - 19 of 19 Posts