Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Thanks aherm. I'm trying to find the parking and vss wire to tap into E82 5 pin connector. It looks like everything else can be gotten from rear view miror connectors.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Great writeup. Just did this to my wife's 2011 with OEM rearview mirror backup camera and nav. Couple tips to simplify the rewire:

1.) If you have factory Nav, the parking, vss, and reverse 12v is already wired to the 5pin connector.

2.) You only have to run the camera signal wire to pin 11 on the 20 connector plug. I tapped the OEM camera white wire, plugged the new line into pin 11, threw the car in reverse and the nav switched to the camera display. Easy! It still displays on the mirror as well, but thats not a big deal to me.

I wish the OEM camera had guides, but I'll settle for having it on the nav screen. Toyota should've done this from the factory instead of being cheap and having it up in the mirror.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Great writeup. Just did this to my wife's 2011 with OEM rearview mirror backup camera and nav. Couple tips to simplify the rewire:

1.) If you have factory Nav, the parking, vss, and reverse 12v is already wired to the 5pin connector.

2.) You only have to run the camera signal wire to pin 11 on the 20 connector plug. I tapped the OEM camera white wire, plugged the new line into pin 11, threw the car in reverse and the nav switched to the camera display. Easy! It still displays on the mirror as well, but thats not a big deal to me.

I wish the OEM camera had guides, but I'll settle for having it on the nav screen. Toyota should've done this from the factory instead of being cheap and having it up in the mirror.
Great to hear that I only need to tap 1 wire! I'll try this when winter is over. Was there a lot of work for you to run the wires through the a pillar?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Great to hear that I only need to tap 1 wire! I'll try this when winter is over. Was there a lot of work for you to run the wires through the a pillar?
I chose to tap into the camera line from the passenger side scuff plate rather than up in the mirror. Ran the new wire up behind the glove box and to the nav unit. Took about 5 minutes.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I chose to tap into the camera line from the passenger side scuff plate rather than up in the mirror. Ran the new wire up behind the glove box and to the nav unit. Took about 5 minutes.
Oh I see, what wire gauge size did you use?

·
Registered
256 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yes you can. Follow the instructions on page one. You're basically going to reroute wires from mirror to navi

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is a great thread! Thanks for all of the useful information. One question I have is with regard to the factory color coding of wires on the E82 (sensors) 5-pin connector. The VSS appears to be standard color (violet), but the other two wires on my vehicle are black and red. With VSS in the middle, I can not tell pin 1 from pin 5 to wire the remaining signals (park & reverse). The E7019 factory Nav unit has no reference indicators on the back of the unit. I would like to finish wiring up my new Pioneer AVIC unit without an incident. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Shortly following my previous post, I figured out the wiring for the 5 pin connector and got the parking and reverse wires connected to the AVIC. All is fine except I'm still trying to figure out how to connect the OEM camera to the AVIC. I had planned to follow the plug wiring that aherm had posted a few months back only to discover that not all RAV4s are the same. Connector P8 to my mirror has only 12 pins, not 14 as shown in the plug diagram. Color coding on the wires is as follows: pin1-blue, p2-pink, p3-brown, p4-orange, p5-red, p6-black, p7-light_purple, p8-white, p9-green, p10-yellow, p11-purple, p12-gray. My vehicle was manufactured Sept 2009 in Canada. Could this account for the difference? It was my understanding that the camera wires came to a junction block behind one of the front kick plates and from there, up to the mirror. I can not find a wire bundle on either side that matches the color coding/wire size I see on the mirror connector (P8). I'm leary of spending big bucks for factory wiring diagrams not knowing what variant I'll find there. Can someone shed some light on this problem for me please?

:confused:

·
Registered
3 Posts
After I discovered I could access the proper EWD for this vehicle on the TIS site for only $15, I bit the bullet.

I ended up doing what b15 did and connected to the camera signal wires off of the EL2 connector hiding behind the right front kick panel. EL2 is a 20 pin connector located top most on the connector stack closest to the right door. Mine only had seven wires on it; Pin4 (Blue) to rear window wiper switch, P6 (Shield) for the camera wire bundle, P7 (Black) CB+ is 6V to power the OEM camera when the vehicle is in reverse, P13 (Pink) to rear window wiper switch, P14 (Red) battery +12v for the smart key oscillator, P16 (Red) CV- and P17 (White) CV+. I removed P16 and P17 from the connector shell and connected them to a 5ft RCA cable from the AVIC, closed everything up with heat shrink and electrical tape and the camera displays on the big screen. I no longer have the video display on the mirror (get a blue patch for a few seconds then it turns off). The mirror display can be restored by re-installing P16 and P17 into the EL2 connector shell.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I put in a nav in my rav4 (2011) and I found the 5 pin connector in the back, taped up. It already has 3 pins ( I didn't see if the wire had 12 volts but ill check later).

----------------------------------------------
Update: 5-pin connector
The parking break line has 12 volts when the brake is down, 0 when up.
The vss has 12 votls when stopped lower voltages when moving. (just accrued to me what this was for, now I can set location in shot gun for the driver ;))
The red wire has +12 when in reverse , not sure why it was suggested to add 12 volts here? - Would this not tell the nav to always show the camera?

----------------------------------------------

There is another connector (grey connector with 22 pins 6 connected) in the back HU area I think is setup for the camera but I'm not sure. If there is one thing I know about car manufactures they always have the wires ran in the car. So when it comes to adding options is just a few plug ins and it's done. The assembly lines cost way too much money to skip steps. Most American cars set bits in the various controller units (BCM, HMI, ACM) and turn the features on this way. It does not look like Toyota does this, at least not for the rav.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
update: I did find a reference to a rav4 22 pin connector and saw this. These images look like a 2007 rav but they claim its for up to gen 3.
CGND : camera supply ground on pin 21 of E54 (red wire)
V+ : camera video signal on pin 22 of E54 (white wire)
V- : camera video signal gnd on pin 23 of E54 (a screen/braid wire)
CA+ : camera positive supply on pin 24 of E54 (a black wire)
link here http://forum.rav4driversclub.com/topic106.html
but I'm not finding anything on e54. I thinks its a connector on a B9004 head unit. If so I'm guessing these are my cam wires.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, currently, I'm having a hard time finding the camera lines in the back door on my 2011 rav. This is what I see. For a test I cut open wire (3) but nothing on the lines. This car didn't come with a camera so I'm putting one in. I check the other lines and none of these wires go to the 6 up front.

Anyone have a thought here? If anyone has a factory camera installed could I trouble you for a picture?

Here are the pictures of that e54 connector. It looks like it says e9 on the cap that covers the pins and that cap shorts all pins together.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just bought a 2011 RAV4 Limited version.

It comes with a navigation system, but no backup camera or bluetooth. Planning to upgrade the navigation system hardware.

I notice there is a slot for the camera above the licence plate. I have not opened up the the panels, but was wondering if the wiring is all done and I have to just attach the camera.

I would be surprised that they did everything and left it to the dealer to do the complete wiring if the customer wanted the camera installed. any thoughts?

·
Registered
42 Posts
yeah, um the post right above you asked the same question. I guess no one knows? I look everywhere.

There is another connector (grey connector with 22 pins 6 connected) in the back HU area I think is setup for the camera but I'm not sure. If there is one thing I know about car manufactures they always have the wires ran in the car. So when it comes to adding options is just a few plug ins and it's done. The assembly lines cost way too much money to skip steps. Most American cars set bits in the various controller units (BCM, HMI, ACM) and turn the features on this way. It does not look like Toyota does this, at least not for the rav.

21 - 40 of 66 Posts
About this Discussion
65 Replies
34 Participants
roy46ca
Toyota RAV4 Forums
Rav 4 World is the internet's largest Toyota Rav4 SUV and EV online forum community. Discuss towing, modifications, and more.
Full Forum Listing