Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
bump from the dead, but can anyone help me out here, just bought a used 2011 limited. Seems like i need to tap only one wire from the passenger side scuff but there are many white wires there.

·
Registered
42 Posts
On my 2011 I looked everywhere, could not find any wires that ran up to the front. I ended up running my own wires. I do not think the 2011 rav4 has a cam line equipped.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Did what? Happy to help you an any way I can. Here is what I did, let me know what you need details on .

1) ran the camera cable front to back
2) installed a 6 volt came (needs to be 6 volts)
3) added the pins to the cable a ran and inserted them in to the harness.

Now the camera works.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Can anyone tell me how the numbering goes on the 20-pin & 5-pin connectors?

Is it looking at the female 20-pin (at the pin side), top row left to right 1-10, then bottom row left to right 10-20?

If this is right, would it make the red wire in the 5-pin be number 5?

I see the wire and PIN number breakout on 1st post, but don't know what order the harness is numbered. Thanks for any assistance, looking to get the camera hooked up for my daughter on our new 2009/150k RAV4.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
12 volt Backup Camera Plug-n-Play install!!!!!

I worked with a Harness builder and had him build and I did the install, got it all working great, easy plug and play now to install an aftermarket 12 volt Backup camera to your Toyota Denso Factory Navigation Radio, E7019.

How to install with aftermarket harness, made easy. Install 12v camera on your choice (I went with one that shows backup lines), connect it's ground to back of car and the red/power wire to the red wire on video cable. Run the video cable along, under panels to behind radio. Take radio out about five inches and unplug 16 and 20 pin connectors going into the radio, use the aftermarket harness plug its 16 and 20 pin connectors into the radio. Plug the two you unplugged into the aftermarket harness 16 & 20 female connectors. Connect the video camera cable to the aftermarket harness video cable plug. Connect the hot/red/12V power supply that runs with the video cable to the aftermarket harness 12v loose wire. Put the radio back in place and your done!

Took a couple weeks working on and off with harness folks to get it working but now it should be a plug and play for others. I'll update with pictures and harness number and their contact info. once they make the last adjustment on the harness and have it ready to sell.

·
Registered
5 Posts
To get the complete plug and play harness for the E7019 Nav Radio go to Autoharnesshouse.com I think the price ended up to be around $65, but well worth it to me. Very clean and easy install of an aftermarket 12v camera (with backup lines!).

At Auto Harness House I worked with Brian Doll to get all the bugs out, he is the one who made the harness. He can be reached at: [email protected].

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for all the information and work everyone. I have very little experience with car electronics and would like to attach my 12v camera to the OEM nav on my '09 Rav4. I see that you all have added pins to the wires of the backup camera and inserted it into the harness using the diagram from page one after tapping into the reverse power from the back.

Could someone please tell me how you attached the pin for a layperson? Is there a specific type of pin I should purchase? It's dumb I know but I've watched a bunch of youtube videos and read different blog posts but each show different setups.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Referring to post #49 :

Can anyone tell me how the numbering goes on the 20-pin & 5-pin connectors?

Is it looking at the female 20-pin (at the pin side), top row left to right 1-10, then bottom row left to right 10-20?

Does anyone know the correct tool/methodology to remove terminals from the 20-pin connector? I bought a cheapo pin extractor kit on Amazon. It's just fine for my other connectors but not his one.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I can confirm that you can connect a 3rd Gen. RAV4 camera to a 3rd Gen. Rav4 Nav.

Using a mating connector for the camera, terminal pins, and a length of cable, I was able to create two wire harnesses. The beauty is that the harnesses are at the endpoints for the Nav and Camera. Other than that, I used much of the Rav's native wiring and connectors meant for relaying the camera's electrical signals -- sooooo clean; no, superfluous, extra, cable that runs the entire length of the car's perimeter. And, yes, I am totally bragging.

Thank you, OP, for letting me know that the NAV unit could connect to the camera, and which pins on the unit were what. That was the catalyst for making this all possible.

Forgive the sloppiness of this post. I _just_ finished the project, and elated that everything works.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Responding to my post #55 :

Frig it. I had the dealership help me with this step. Cost me US$25 to remove the three (JBL voice) terminal pins from the connector.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello all, here is my situation. I have a 2012 Limited that came to me with an upgraded Rosen brand head unit made specifically for RAV4. It has the factory camera and display in the rear view mirror which is also displayed on the head unit. I have two problems I would like to solve: 1) the radio signal is crap. I finally bought a new adapter that connects to the factory antenna wire and converts it to a standard radio wire jack for the head unit. I verified that after install, applying 12v to the blue wire does indeed improve the signal so the antenna/amp unit on the car seems to be working. HOWEVER, the radio signal still sucks. Does anyone else have the Rosen head unit? Is this a common problem with the RAV4 stubby antenna style regardless of head unit? Or is my head unit just a piece of crap? All other functions are excellent, just bad radio!
and 2) I would like to install a better back up camera, one with night vision. Can anyone recommend a good plug and play camera unit? I don't want to run all new wires if possible. Has anyone installed wireless? Any good video links that show the factory cabling in he back door?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hello man thank a lot for this great post i have 2012 limited with entune nav system can i mount the backup camera to the entune screen.

Were you ever able to figure this out for 12's with Entune? I just picked one up as well and really want to get the factory camera feed on the big screen.

41 - 60 of 66 Posts
About this Discussion
65 Replies
34 Participants
roy46ca
Toyota RAV4 Forums
Rav 4 World is the internet's largest Toyota Rav4 SUV and EV online forum community. Discuss towing, modifications, and more.
Full Forum Listing