Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

61 - 66 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I can confirm that you can connect a 3rd Gen. RAV4 camera to a 3rd Gen. Rav4 Nav.

Using a mating connector for the camera, terminal pins, and a length of cable, I was able to create two wire harnesses. The beauty is that the harnesses are at the endpoints for the Nav and Camera. Other than that, I used much of the Rav's native wiring and connectors meant for relaying the camera's electrical signals -- sooooo clean; no, superfluous, extra, cable that runs the entire length of the car's perimeter. And, yes, I am totally bragging.

Thank you, OP, for letting me know that the NAV unit could connect to the camera, and which pins on the unit were what. That was the catalyst for making this all possible.

Forgive the sloppiness of this post. I _just_ finished the project, and elated that everything works.
Any details or pics on your install?

·
Registered
2 Posts
12 volt Backup Camera Plug-n-Play install!!!!!

I worked with a Harness builder and had him build and I did the install, got it all working great, easy plug and play now to install an aftermarket 12 volt Backup camera to your Toyota Denso Factory Navigation Radio, E7019.

How to install with aftermarket harness, made easy. Install 12v camera on your choice (I went with one that shows backup lines), connect it's ground to back of car and the red/power wire to the red wire on video cable. Run the video cable along, under panels to behind radio. Take radio out about five inches and unplug 16 and 20 pin connectors going into the radio, use the aftermarket harness plug its 16 and 20 pin connectors into the radio. Plug the two you unplugged into the aftermarket harness 16 & 20 female connectors. Connect the video camera cable to the aftermarket harness video cable plug. Connect the hot/red/12V power supply that runs with the video cable to the aftermarket harness 12v loose wire. Put the radio back in place and your done!

Took a couple weeks working on and off with harness folks to get it working but now it should be a plug and play for others. I'll update with pictures and harness number and their contact info. once they make the last adjustment on the harness and have it ready to sell.

Jhagerty, I am confused. In post 51 you mention a 16 pin connector but throughout this thread the only connectors mentioned are a 20 pin and 5 pin. Even in your pictures from post 49 you mention the 20 pin connector and on the back of your head-unit I don't see a 16 pin plug. So where does the 16 pin connector come from?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, I just bought 2011 rav4 ZR6 , it only got navigation display and no reverse camera , is it possible to fix it as my wife is driving this to school and can anyone got clear views and photos , pls guide me to resolve it , thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Hi, I just bought 2011 rav4 ZR6 , it only got navigation display and no reverse camera , is it possible to fix it as my wife is driving this to school and can anyone got clear views and photos , pls guide me to resolve it , thanks in advance.

You must have an Australian RAV4.

There are many ways to add a reverse camera:
- Radio with a reverse camera. (may not be an option since you want to keep your nav system)
- Rear view mirror with a reverse camera. (usually very small screen)
- Separate unit with a reverse camera. (best option is this one for you)

You can check Crutchfield, Ebay, Amazon etc for a reverse camera.

Here is a sample of one that is simple to install and does not cost much.

61 - 66 of 66 Posts
About this Discussion
65 Replies
34 Participants
roy46ca
Toyota RAV4 Forums
Rav 4 World is the internet's largest Toyota Rav4 SUV and EV online forum community. Discuss towing, modifications, and more.
Full Forum Listing