Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Reverse Camera on 2009 to 2011 OEM Navigation Units - CONFIRMED!

92K views 67 replies 34 participants last post by  Merninater 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

Through further research with the OEM Navigation unit found in 2009 to 2011 Rav4s (E7019 on the bottom right corner of the faceplate)... I have found that you can integrate a reverse camera into the navigation display though proper wiring into the existing connectors.

By inserting the following signals on the following pins, the navigation display will switch to the reverse camera display when the vehicle is shifted into reverse.

You will need to insert a 12v+ signal onto pin 5 of the 5-pin connector (Connector E82 - Part # 90980-11909)

Remember the picture is looking at the connectors from the front view (the end of the connector that goes into the radio)

Pin 1 = Parking Brake Signal
Pin 3 = VSS Signal
Pin 5 = Reverse 12v+ Signal

On your 20-pin connector (Connector E89 - Part # 90980-12460) ... you need to insert the following connections into the connector

Pin 11 = V+
Pin 12 = V-
Pin 13 = CA+
Pin 14 = CGND

For Reference the following pins are the other connections already in the connector:

Pin 3 = VSS Signal
Pin 6 = SWG - for Steering Wheel Control
Pin 7 = SW1 - for Steering Wheel Control
Pin 8 = SW2 - for Steering Wheel Control
Pin 15 = ARI - for Stereo Jack Input
Pin 16 = ASGN - for Stereo Jack Input
Pin 17 = ALI - for Stereo Jack Input
Pin 18 = AGND - for Stereo Jack Input
Pin 19 = AUXI - for Stereo Jack Input

I used an aftermarket camera made by Eclipse (Fujitsi-Ten) - Model # BEC-108 ... however any of the BEC series BEC-104 through BEC-108 will wire-up the same way:

V+ = Eclipse Yellow Wire
V- = Eclipse White Wire
CA+ = Eclipse Red Wire
CGND = Eclipse Black Wire

You do not need to do anything to the navigation unit itself for this to work ... just wire it up, throw the car in reverse, and the image is displayed on the screen ... shift out of reverse, and you are brought back to the previous screen (MAP, Audio, etc.)

See less See more
#5 ·
where to connect vss wire

Hi I have recently purchased a 2012 V6 zr6 rav 4 RHD.It is fitted with factory gps unit and I have bought and installed a OEM reverse camera.When i installed the toyota camera kit i found bundled behind the stereo the green wire (reverse signal) and also the purple/white (vss wire).It is quite clear that the vss wire and reverse signal is picked up from behind stereo or gps nav unit but where do you connect the other end of this purple and white wire for vss.I have managed to find the reverse signal to make factory reverse camera operational but it is quite unclear where the other end of the vss wire connects to.Even the factory supplied toyota manual does not state where to connect other end of vss wire .One end connects at stereo where does the other end connect is my question for the vss.Any help appreciated thanks

#6 ·
The other end should already be connected to the VSS signal. That signal goes to the instrument cluster and various other ECM's in the vehicle.

#10 · (Edited)
Please tap the following wires on the mirror connector, and re-route to the navi 20-pin connector in the following spots:

Mirror - Pin 6 (V-) - route to Navi - Pin 12
Mirror - Pin 7 (V+) - route to Navi - Pin 11
Mirror - Pin 13 (Ground) - route to Navi - Pin 14
Mirror - Pin 14 (6v+ Power) - route to Navi - Pin 13

In order for navi to know vehicle is in reverse … you must route the Rev (12v+) Mirror pin # 3 to navi - 5 pin connector - pin #5

see pin diagrams in my 1st post … remember the orientation of the connector in the pictures are from the PLUG-SIDE of the connector … not the part that the wires go into!! Look closely at the wire-side of the connector … left and right pin #s should be labeled.

#11 ·
This is a ridiculously awesome thing you have discovered!! I hate it being in the rear view mirror. For one it is just too small for me to make out anything that is behind me to begin with, and secondly it takes up part of the mirror that I'd like to be using. I'm still of the mind that you need to use all of your windows and mirrors when backing up, so this camera thing doesn't help me a great deal. Much more helpful in the navigation unit than in the mirror. I'm definitely doing this!!

#13 ·
Cool stuff. I will be doing this to my new car. Any update to this thread?

#14 ·
Are there already existing wires running into pins (5 and 20 connectors)? And we just need to reroute those wires indicated into each specific pins? Or must I need to purchase specific gauge wire to fit into pin head connectors?

Thanks

#16 · (Edited)
Pillpusher - Can you help me identify in this picture if I have the E82 and E89 connecters attached to the navigation unit? I have 09 Navigation without JBL and already have oem back up camera attached to the mirror. Thanks

There is also one grey plug that was not connected to anything. Do you know what this is for?

#19 ·
Others have succeeded...I'm trying to get confirmation on the 2 connectors (E82, E89) on whether or not if I need to order them and where it is located because I've already got OEM Navigation and Rear View Camera as oppose to others that are starting from scratch.

#21 ·
Thanks aherm. I'm trying to find the parking and vss wire to tap into E82 5 pin connector. It looks like everything else can be gotten from rear view miror connectors.

#22 · (Edited)
Great writeup. Just did this to my wife's 2011 with OEM rearview mirror backup camera and nav. Couple tips to simplify the rewire:

1.) If you have factory Nav, the parking, vss, and reverse 12v is already wired to the 5pin connector.

2.) You only have to run the camera signal wire to pin 11 on the 20 connector plug. I tapped the OEM camera white wire, plugged the new line into pin 11, threw the car in reverse and the nav switched to the camera display. Easy! It still displays on the mirror as well, but thats not a big deal to me.

I wish the OEM camera had guides, but I'll settle for having it on the nav screen. Toyota should've done this from the factory instead of being cheap and having it up in the mirror.

#23 ·
Great writeup. Just did this to my wife's 2011 with OEM rearview mirror backup camera and nav. Couple tips to simplify the rewire:

1.) If you have factory Nav, the parking, vss, and reverse 12v is already wired to the 5pin connector.

2.) You only have to run the camera signal wire to pin 11 on the 20 connector plug. I tapped the OEM camera white wire, plugged the new line into pin 11, threw the car in reverse and the nav switched to the camera display. Easy! It still displays on the mirror as well, but thats not a big deal to me.

I wish the OEM camera had guides, but I'll settle for having it on the nav screen. Toyota should've done this from the factory instead of being cheap and having it up in the mirror.
Great to hear that I only need to tap 1 wire! I'll try this when winter is over. Was there a lot of work for you to run the wires through the a pillar?

#27 ·
Please post pics! :thumbs_up:

#32 ·
This is a great thread! Thanks for all of the useful information. One question I have is with regard to the factory color coding of wires on the E82 (sensors) 5-pin connector. The VSS appears to be standard color (violet), but the other two wires on my vehicle are black and red. With VSS in the middle, I can not tell pin 1 from pin 5 to wire the remaining signals (park & reverse). The E7019 factory Nav unit has no reference indicators on the back of the unit. I would like to finish wiring up my new Pioneer AVIC unit without an incident. Any help would be appreciated.

#33 ·
Shortly following my previous post, I figured out the wiring for the 5 pin connector and got the parking and reverse wires connected to the AVIC. All is fine except I'm still trying to figure out how to connect the OEM camera to the AVIC. I had planned to follow the plug wiring that aherm had posted a few months back only to discover that not all RAV4s are the same. Connector P8 to my mirror has only 12 pins, not 14 as shown in the plug diagram. Color coding on the wires is as follows: pin1-blue, p2-pink, p3-brown, p4-orange, p5-red, p6-black, p7-light_purple, p8-white, p9-green, p10-yellow, p11-purple, p12-gray. My vehicle was manufactured Sept 2009 in Canada. Could this account for the difference? It was my understanding that the camera wires came to a junction block behind one of the front kick plates and from there, up to the mirror. I can not find a wire bundle on either side that matches the color coding/wire size I see on the mirror connector (P8). I'm leary of spending big bucks for factory wiring diagrams not knowing what variant I'll find there. Can someone shed some light on this problem for me please?

:confused:

#34 ·
After I discovered I could access the proper EWD for this vehicle on the TIS site for only $15, I bit the bullet.

I ended up doing what b15 did and connected to the camera signal wires off of the EL2 connector hiding behind the right front kick panel. EL2 is a 20 pin connector located top most on the connector stack closest to the right door. Mine only had seven wires on it; Pin4 (Blue) to rear window wiper switch, P6 (Shield) for the camera wire bundle, P7 (Black) CB+ is 6V to power the OEM camera when the vehicle is in reverse, P13 (Pink) to rear window wiper switch, P14 (Red) battery +12v for the smart key oscillator, P16 (Red) CV- and P17 (White) CV+. I removed P16 and P17 from the connector shell and connected them to a 5ft RCA cable from the AVIC, closed everything up with heat shrink and electrical tape and the camera displays on the big screen. I no longer have the video display on the mirror (get a blue patch for a few seconds then it turns off). The mirror display can be restored by re-installing P16 and P17 into the EL2 connector shell.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.